“Off the Bone”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Casual
Reviewed May 4, 2013

There really isn't much to this place in terms of being an actual restaurant. The interior is rather small, maybe a dozen or so tables. It looks like a significant portion of their business stems from catering and to-go orders.

After a quick perusal of the menu, I decided on a 2 Meat, 2 Side Combo of smoked pecan baby back ribs and sliced brisket, with their Southern potato salad and honey spiced baked beans on the side. When my order came out, I wasn't really expecting it to be slathered in sauce. The menu didn't specify, and I failed to ask.

The baked beans had a great texture and some definite spice to them. All that honey gave the beans a nice taste, but added a little too much sugar to the already sweet baked beans. The potato salad had a high volume of hard boiled eggs and onion. The flavor was good, and I appreciated that it wasn't overrun with mustard. It had a nice spice it too.

The brisket was juicy and moist, and had a great amount of bark on each slice. The fat was beautifully rendered, and added to the overall moistness of the brisket. I can't really comment on the smokiness of the meat because the dominant flavor was definitely the vinegar-tomato barbecue sauce. I liked the taste of their sauce just fine, but I wish it had come on the side.

I really wanted to sample the advertised pecan smoke on the ribs, but that wasn't happening. Just like the brisket, my ribs were drenched in sauce. They were very meaty. A few bites were a little on the dry side, but the majority of it was fairly tender. The meat stayed put, waiting on each individual bite before it slid off the bone. Given the heavy dose of sauce, the flavor was almost identical to the brisket.

Their website boasts the slogan: "It's as good as it looks." That's certainly true, although it's not really as positive an attribute as one might think. I'd like to go back and eat my combo sans sauce so that I can get a true grasp of their smoking abilities.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend

3  Thank Jared K

Reviewed May 1, 2013

If you are looking for white table clothes and silverware, this is not the place for you. But if you want a small almost hole in the wall, this is the place for you. They had the best blame BBQ I have eaten in a while.

1  Thank Cory O
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Excellent BBQ, the pictures on the website had me salivating. I ordered ribs, slaw and potato salad. The food was amazing. The restaurant is small, I was with others so I had mine to go, the place is clean, relaxed and staff was friendly. The best BBQ I've had in a long time.

1  Thank Tonda S
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Over from Australia and the people at our hotel recommended off the bone, absolutely fantastic a huge meal and great tasting, highly recommend it :-)

1  Thank David G
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I went with a group of friends here. It is a nice quaint place with a pretty small dinning room, however it has a great feel and atmosphere to it. I had ate prior to getting there so I had the "three meat spicy beans". They where amazing. They had a great flavor and I really enjoyed them. Everyone else's food looked really good and they said it was. I am looking forward to going back and trying something else.

1  Thank Scott D