“Wonderful taste!”

Howard Wang's Uptown China Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
Howard Wang's Uptown China Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #531 of 3,626 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cole/Carlisle
Transit: Local Bus Route 51 & M line Trolley.
Wedowee, Alabama
“Wonderful taste!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We planned ahead and purchased and used a Travelzoo coupon for dinner on a trip to Dallas. The coupon was honored with no problems (some experiences with coupons are less than exceptional - Howard Wangs was). Each dish we ordered tasted wonderful. We started with soft shell crab tempura and pot stickers. The sauces were great. Our mains were the Chilean sea bass and the Bul-go-gi. Both dishes had unique flavors and were presented beautifully. This was not the standard Chinese where everything looks and tastes the same with almost identical sauces for each dish. Each dish had its own flavor and was excellent. Desserts were limited to ice cream, but that was OK since the meal was so good. We would go back to Howard Wang's Uptown if we were in Dallas again. The building has complimentary parking for guests of the restaurant.

• Visited December 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Delivery is spot-on/Dining room is nice”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I order delivery from HW Uptown quite a bit. The drivers are always very courteous and the food is freshly prepared. One of the better Chinese restaurants in the area. Sister restaurant on NW Highway is also very good.

Visited December 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Outstanding, One of the Best in Dallas”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is going to sound like I'm a shill for HW but honest, I'm not. I was born here and being Jewish, was introduced to Chinese food just after the mashed fruit stage. There have always been a few good options but over the years so many have closed, that there's very little available west of 75 and south of 635. Especially in Uptown/Turtle Creek/Oak Lawn. There are a couple of Pei Weis but very little else, except for Thai & Vietnamese. Those are fine too, but I didn't grow up eating them and I can go months and not miss them.

I crave Chinese a couple of times a month at least and living in north Oak Cliff, it's just a 10 minute drive. The restaurant is beautiful. The first time we went I kept looking around for the gilded Buddha and selection of lacquered fans you see in most Chinese restaurants but they were nowhere to be found. The space is spare and modern, with great lighting and plenty of separation between tables.

The service is always good (we're regulars and always ask for Sammie or Nu if they're working). But even if they're not, the rest of the staff is well-trained and friendly. It's a great place for a work lunch or to take a date for dinner.

If you are looking for "authentic" Chinese food this is probably not the place for you. There are very few dishes with icky bits and none with mystery meat. Just nicely prepared Cantonese and Szechuan fare. We have a few favorites we always order, Spicy Crispy Chicken, Kung Pao Beef & the Szechuan Green Beans.

Pei Wei is fine if we want takeout and PFC is OK if we're doing dinner and a movie at NorthPark, but for the rest of the time it's HWU, every time.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank John S
Sherman, Texas
“Great Midweek dinner out!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a "Travelzoo" purchase and elected to have a Midweek dinner date. I have used several of these promos and I must say that this was the BEST meal that we have enjoyed in Dallas. I'll go back!

• Visited November 2013
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Terrific, All Around”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I'm in agreement with all of the positive reviews below. Great atmosphere, excellent food, a great vibe as well. The food reminded us of the better Chinese places in the San Francisco Bay Area (where we lived for 25 years)- which is saying a lot. The Asian style margaritas were very good, too. We went to celebrate my wife's birthday and were not disappointed in the least. We were a party of four and we each sampled each others orders, and all of it was delicious. Generous portions, too. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2013