“Not your typical taco fare but super yummy!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Velvet Taco
Ranked #8 of 3,560 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Houston, Texas, United States
“Not your typical taco fare but super yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

When we stopped by after visiting the presidential library, I was expecting carne asada and fajita stuff but boy was I in for a treat. This is NOT a taqueria in the typical sense. Yes they have tacos but they have kicked them up a notch. The "tacos" have Indian, Korean, Texan influences. You will not find chips and salsa here but you will have corn elotes, roasted potatoes, and these smothered tater tots that will make your eyes roll back. I had the fish tacos which had a curry sauce and thin French fries and was glad I took the chance. My husband had the special (corned beef hash, eggs with hollandaise sauce) and didn't speak a word because he chowed it down. If you're adventurous and want to try something different, you must try this place. Btw, the prices are very reasonable considering how gourmet the food is.

Visited March 2014

Dallas, Texas
“I don't get it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

I've been here twice and the food was terrible and the place was crowded. There bathrooms weren't clean either. It's not worth the wait or the stress of finding a parking spot.

Visited January 2014
Rockwall, Texas, United States
“Can't go wrong with Velvet Taco!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great lunch spot to sit outside and watch the cars pass by… everything on the menu is amazing. I highly recommend the pulled pork tacos with the corn elote. Yummy!

Visited March 2014
Sherwood, Arkansas
“HOOKED!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Simply amazing!

First trip and there will be many more!

Doing some research before traveling to Dallas this weekend, this gem popped up on trip advisor! The reviews sounded awesome! I turned to FaceBook to check out more information and well of course to see photos that patrons have posted. I was blown away by the sheer presentation, so I had to experience this local favorite for myself.
I did my menu research beforehand and knew exactly what I was going to get when I walked in the door to place my order! The menu was bold and inviting. I do feel bad that I was so set on my choices I forgot to ask what the “WTF” was for the day. There will be a next time though and I will NOT forget!

The chef, professional in his chef coat, took our order and we explained we just drove into town from AR. He was so excited and handed us some swag! I have a bumper sticker that I can proudly display and a fridge magnet that I can have handy for takeout, even though 5 hours is a bit far for that to be offered. The friendliness of the environment was wonderful!

I had #3 Crisp Tikka Chicken, #7 Cuban Pig, #10 Texas Burger. I figured that would show me the variety this place has to offer. I thought I’d start with the #3, ya know let the spices run across a clean palate. Simply amazing! Each layer of flavor melded together perfectly in each bite. The #7 didn’t disappoint either, the slow cooked pork and shaved ham melted in my mouth! The #10 was outstanding, the peppered bacon was outstanding and the house brined pickles really kicked this out of the park. I totally wanted more of those pickles, such attention to detail!

There was even Dublin on tap!

The hours are perfect for that late night snack!

I will certainly be more than happy to make a 5 hour drive any day of the week for another rack of these amazing gourmet tacos!

• Visited February 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Best Tacos in Texas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Hands down this place has some of the most amazing tacos I have ever eaten. The food comes from local farmers which is awesome and they supppppper tasty!!!

• Visited November 2013