“Great, intimate listening space”
Review of Kessler Theater

Kessler Theater
Ranked #41 of 210 things to do in Dallas
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having taken in several shows, local and national, at the Kessler I must say it is one of my all-time favorite venues. First, it is a well-renovated Deco theater with a cute bar and great light food dishes. Second, the theater itself has a nice acoustic balance and ambiance. Lastly, Jeff Liles books some great acts and Paul Quigg runs a mean soundboard.
Go!

"mezzanine"
in 2 reviews
"event"

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This converted small neighborhood movie house is a great spot for getting up close and personal with favorite entertainers best suited to smaller venues. It's almost like a living room concert. The only drawback I've found is that this intimacy leads some audience members, especially after a couple of drinks, to imagine that they are free to conduct a running conversation with the musicians throughout the show. Our first experience here was a Suzy Boggus concert, and the sound was perfect. I was less enthused with the sound for J. D. Souther, but he admitted that he had skipped sound check. Every seat is a good one, either on the floor or in the small wrap-around balcony. They also sell standing room, which is also not bad, but not comfortable, either. Given my previous comment about tipsy patrons, perhaps I shouldn't complain it can be hard to get a drink at the lobby bar.

The Kessler is just a short hop down Davis Street from the Bishop Arts District, making it tempting to make it a dinner-and-show evening.

1  Thank Randy B
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Small venue with every seat in the house a great seat. Great acoustics, laid back environment and a very cool vibe!

3  Thank Thomas O
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Our family ( my wife and 19 y.o. son and I) went to the Kessler for the first time to see and hear Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks with Carsie Blanton opening. When we arrived the staff asked if it was our first time and preceded to give us the layout of the facility. The small bar/cafe in the lobby was a neat addition to the show room. Restrooms were clean as you could ask. When we went into the show room which is the former movie theater, we were delighted to find we were situated front and center...less than 2 meters from the lead microphone. When the show started we found the sound system to be impeccable. This is agreat venue to hear music, small enough so there is no bad seats and large enough to have good audience participation. The show was great and Dan's new Hot Licks band recreated the sound of my 35+ year old albums to a "T" minus the pops and hisses...and that says a lot for the venue. Will we be back? You can be sure we will return to the Kessler...having experienced the Continental in Austin a few weeks earlier, it's nice to have a venue that is clean and comfortable.

3  Thank texmarc