“Bit of Texas History”
Review of The Texas Theatre

The Texas Theatre
Ranked #14 of 37 Fun & Games in Dallas
More attraction details
Owner description: The Historic Texas Theatre opened in 1931 by eccentric billionaire Howard Hughes as a Robb Rowley Theater and became infamous in 1963 as the place Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested. In 2011 it was reopened by Aviation Cinemas formed by Barak Epstein, Adam Donaghey, Eric Steele and Jason Reimer. It is open 7 days a week playing the new release independent as well as classic repertory films. "The Texas" has also put on staged events, comedians and live music. The beautiful restored bar is open every day of the week.
Killeen, Texas
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Bit of Texas History”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

A friend hosted a birthday party here and we all dressed as our favorite Blazing Saddles characters. It was a HOOT! Cool venue, really tasty adult beverages, and a fun place to see classic movies. Wish I lived in Dallas so I could make this place a regular hang out.

Visited July 2014
4 Thank TXEyeGuy

Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“JFK @ the Texas Theater”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Saw JFK on November 22, 2013. Surreal to watch the scene where Oswald is being arrested, which was filmed in that same theater. Is a cool hang out place, very different and original. I did not eat but I understand they have some kind of food. Prices of drinks reasonable. Lots of curiosities and vintage stuff added. The only thing I was disappointed about was the lack of the participation of the community around. Especially the Mexican community. I would love to see one Mexican/Latino cinema night once a month. That would really be courageous, bold and make the theater stand out.

Visited December 2013
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great piece of history, I just wish it was open more!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Watched the Hitchcock classic, Vertigo, at the Texas Theater. The place is pure history with a great little bar inside, that allows you to take your drinks inside the theater. The only downside is that the theater seems to be open sporatically, not keeping to a regular film schedule.

Visited November 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Rio Bravo at the Texas Theatre”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I attended TCM's "Rio Bravo" showing last night at the Texas Theatre. It was hosted by Angie Dickinson and Ben Mankiewicz, who were both highly entertaining! There's nothing like seeing a classic film in a classic and historic movie house. It was a real treat for us movie buffs!

Cross Roads, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Amazing old historic theatre!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I attended the Dark Side of the Rainbow at the Texas Theatre this past weekend. For those who don't know, it is the Wizard of Oz set to Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. We had never seen the movie this way before, and it is amazing how the album aligns with the movie.

The staff was very pleasant and it was really cool seeing the movie in 35mm in such an old theatre.

We will definitely be back!

Visited August 2012