New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #6 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Sugar Land, Texas
“Superb Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

My reviews won't be much different than others have posted about the Omni as of lately, but this may reinforce your decision to reserve here if you're looking for reviews in order to book.

The one thing that stands out the most for me about the property is the excellent service I received. All of the staff that I interacted with were both very professional and cordial, giving me a feeling of them "going out of their way to please" type of service. The hotel while a larger convention type hotel, had service as personable as a boutique hotel during my stay. The bellhop followed me with the luggage from car to check in to the room, so I didn't need to call down to have it brought up. Different valet attendants remembered me and my name throughout the course of my stay during the weekend. I was very impressed with them immediately remembering my name and not even having to look at the tags attached to the key.

Before deciding on this property, I contemplated several other properties, most notably smaller boutique properties in the downtown and uptown area, and nearby Marriott properties since I have status there. In the end, I chose the Omni just because I wanted to stay at the newest hotel in town and because I've been very happy staying at other Omni properties in Texas. My reservation was made through their website and a day before check in, I was offered an excellent deal to confirm an upgrade to an executive suite, but declined since I was not going to be in the room much.

I reserved a double queen bed and got just that. I wanted the double queen instead of the king so I would have the bathtub/shower combo instead of just a walk-in shower. Had a view facing the downtown skyline but didn't look out too much. There were a lot of pillows on the beds, and they were very comfortable, both really soft and supportive at the same time. HDTV had enough channels to keep me entertained. The clock radio was an IHome one, so it had the iphone/ipod dock which was great! The nightstand between the two beds has an infrared sensor with an LED light, so that when it's dark and you hop off the bed, the LED light shines a beam on the carpet so you can kinda see where you are going. The wi-fi in the room worked seamless.

The bathroom was decent sized, a little larger would have been nicer! Tub had a curved shower rod and there was quite a bit of space when taking the shower since the bathtub had a ledge with almost a foot of room between the tub and the bathroom wall. The lighting in the bathroom was fine, and everyone has already commented about the built in tv in the mirror.

I didn't order room service so I won't be able to comment on that. I didn't dine on property, except for having a few drinks at The Owners Box. When I went in, it was busy, with hardly a seat at the bar. Perfect place to watch a sports game, as there were tv's and HD projections galore. Pricing was typical for a hotel bar, but it didn't feel like the typical boring hotel bar. Each time I called down to have the car brought around, the time estimate was spot on, with it usually being about 10 minutes. If I'm in the Dallas area again and need to book something downtown, I wouldn't hesitate at all to stay here again in the future!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and we are glad to hear that we hit the mark in both the room quality and service. We strive to do this for every guest who stays with us and it is satisfying to know that this was accomplished during your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in Dallas. Thank you and safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I wish I could recommend this hotel but I just can't. If you plan on sleeping at all, this is not the hotel you want.

I actually live in downtown Dallas so if you're visiting this might help you decide. Occasionally I will spontaneously check into a nearby hotel, turn off all communication devices and get away from a stressful week. I normally do this a few times a year so I've stayed at many hotels. For me, I prefer the Hotel Palomar but wanted to try this one out because it's new. I was warned by a friend about the amount of people that go through there but I've stayed at larger hotels in Vegas with no issues.

My room for two nights was a superior on a high floor facing downtown Dallas. The room was very cool with a tv in the mirror, lots of modern electronics, and a large shower. I don't ever use the glassware in hotel rooms but I still look at them (they were dirty on the inside).

The service was excellent with every person I talked to. Room service was fast and friendly even if the food was not very good. The spa there is one of the best I've been to anywhere.

My problem with the hotel, though, overshadowed all of that. The windows and walls are extremely thin. Even from a high floor I had trouble sleeping from the people in front of the hotel and the hotel is situated away from all the nightlife. I knew the majority of the names of the people in the next room because of the thin walls and I could clearly hear entire conversations from anyone in the hallway and peple were always in the hallway. I'm a very heavy sleeper who has even slept soundly on second floors facing entrances to nightclubs in Madrid and Barcelona. I've slept soundly facing busy streets in Paris and the ground floor next to a hostel in Istanbul. I've slept through an earthquake. I probably got about six hours total while at the Omni.

The only other problem I had was both times I went to the gym. The first night, the door was strangely wide open and while I worked out a maintenance man was giving tours of the facility (this was at 11 pm). I would be in the middle of a set and random men in the group would come within inches of me and just stare into my face! Other people with backpacks would walk through to go to the pool door, realize a room key was needed and then walk out. I don't think any if these people were staying there. Some even got on the machines in their jeans and wearing their bags. The second night the door was closed so you had to use your room key. Both nights the maintenance guys would wander by and stop to work out! With their full trash bags next to them! It was just really strange and uncomfortable.

Overall, as great as the service was and how cool the rooms were, they can't fix thin walls and windows. Only go here if you want to be close to Dealey Plaza and have really good ear plugs.

To relax: Hotel Palomar
Nightlife: Joule or Zaza
A great view of downtown: The W

I've been to all of the above so I'm confident about those choices. Also,

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Theodora8
Thank you very much for letting us know about your stay with us. We are always looking for areas of improvement, and while we would prefer to only get positive reviews, this review highlights several areas where we do have room to improve. We apologize that you weren't able to enjoy your stay with us and hope that in the future you are able to join us again to see the improvements that have been made. Thank you again for your time.
Hewitt, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Selected the Omni based on what I read here on TA and a running discount and couldn't be more pleased with our stay here. When we arrived they told us they had upgraded us to the larger King room, which turned out to be fabulous with a great view of downtown Dallas.
ALL staff were phenomenal; polite and friendly in every encounter.

Our room's bathroom had a TV in the mirror! That was pretty cool!

We ate in all three restaurants which I will review separately..

I found the location to be excellent for our planned activities but some may prefer to be more in the heart of the city, which the Omni really isn't but it is only 2-3 blocks from Union Square train station which makes it very convenient to use the train to get around.

While my husband was at meetings I took the train to the Dallas Zoo and when the concierge advised me to where to get the train, I asked him about the Convention Center station, which the Omni connects to, and he advised me not to use it, it was dark and many homeless hang around there. On my train ride I saw exactly what he was talking about! It was not a place for a single woman to travel alone to and I probably wouldn't have been comfortable with my husband along either, so don't use that station, use Union Square.

We also did the 3+ mile Art Walk which the Omni was perfect for starting from, the park with the bronze sculpted bulls is right across from the hotel and is at the beginning or end of the walk depending on where you are located. I will say that on a drizzly Sunday morning this area had quite a few homeless men congregating which made me uncomfortable, even with my husband present....nothing happened but the timing might be a consideration for some doing this otherwise great self guided walking tour which I will review separately, also.

Overall we had a wonderful mini work vacation here in Dallas and the Omni definitely added to our enjoyment!!!!!

Room Tip: If this is your first visit ask for a view of downtown.....being close to NYC and a frequent visitor...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for my national sales meeting which lasted a week. I was very impressed with the appearance of the hotel. It was very modern and upscale. The hotel workers were very helpful and friendly. The security was outstanding. The main thing I wasn't satisfied with was house keeping. I found a couple of things on the floor when I first checked in that let me know the room wasn't vacuumed thoroughly. Another minor problem was coming in after dinner and my room key didn't work. I called from my co-workers room and Security brought another key upstairs to me. I found out later that a few of my co-workers had the same problem. These things weren't deal breakers and doesn't stop me from rating them a four. The facility was beautiful, and the staff had a great attitude even when you complained. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Had two conventions back to back and spent 7 nights at the Omni Dallas Hotel. Hotel is new, opened in November 2011. Property is well done with direct connection to the convention center. The room is very nice and features nice amenities for working or pleasure, only hiccups are inconsistent daily room cleaning. Texas Spice restaurant is a wonderful foodie spot and bar, make sure you have Nick at the bar make you one of his signature drinks. Awesome breakfast buffet with farm to table approach and good service.

Room Tip: Join the Omni loyalty program for free wifi in your room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I've stayed at many hotels and conferences due to my job. I think this being a brand new facility, they need to work out a few kinks, that being said.. we had a tremendous time, it was wonderful.

Rooms:
We had a beautiful room with a view of IH35. The bathrooms were very clean, and nice sized. My husband and I did not sleep well at all. It was the first time to be away from our kids in awhile and we were hoping to get some much needed rest by sleeping in, but the room would not cool down to a comfortable temperature. The bed was really uncomfortable and had really hot covers. Finally on the 3rd night, we stripped off all the blankets to try to at least be comfortable but we still did not sleep very good. It was just too hot and the beds too uncomfortable.

Bathrooms have great toiletries - fyi you won't need to bring your own. Plenty of hangers in the closet

I am usually cold natured and freezing everywhere I go. I'm the type of person that has the heated seat on in the car even in the summer if my husband has the AC down cold. So, I was really surprised, that I was hot the entire time I was there. (I did not leave the hotel for 4 days). The conference rooms, restaurants, etc were too hot. Granted, we had a huge amount of people there for our conference, that could have had something to do with it.

Pool / Fitness
I am training for a triathlon right now, so it was important to me to have a pool and decent fitness center. It was very nice, the pool large enough to do laps in (although its not square), it was adequate and beautiful. The fitness center is really nice and stocked with plenty of equipment.

I thought it was a nice touch that they had these pretty water features, bar and fire pits right around the pool, so my husband could hang out and relax while I was swimming. We also headed up to the hot tub late at night, and had a great time, can't say enough good things about the pool area. I wish the bar had been open later.

There are two restaurants and a coffee/snack bar. You can expect hotel prices there. I didn't think any of them were very good. I'll review Owner's Box and Texas Spice separately.

Conference facilities:
Rooms were hot, everything else was first class. The food was great, the service was excellent. We had a couple of big parties in addition to conference rooms, had a great time. I don't know if the hotel did our production (lights, audio/video, chairs, etc), but it was also first class.

Check in / Check out:
We had some problems with our bill. They had charged us for the valet, when we self-parked. They charged us for Internet when we were Omni Select guests. It was quickly taken care of, but you may want to double-check that everything is right. It ended up being over $100 in charges that got removed.

Service:
Very friendly and helpful staff, what you would expect in Texas :) We are Omni select guests, and they will give you two complimentary drinks each day. It was very nice, since they are normally $3 in the gift shop, a nice value-add. We forgot to hang the order on our door one night, so my husband called down that morning and they sent them up a few minutes later. That was really over and beyond - I was delighted.

Overall, I would say aside from my complaints, it is a very nice, beautiful hotel. You should see it all lit up on the outside, I'll attach some pics. I would recommend it and will stay here again. I may bring a fan with me.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank tripcasey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Stayed here for a conference. Although a large hotel it retained a sense of the personal thanks to its highly proficient and charming staff. I wish all hotels trained their people this well. The facilities were excellent, especially the gym and the outside pool, and the restaurants (and I tried all three) were good. Minor gripe was the wait to be seated at breakfast although there was an option to sit at a breakfast counter to get around this. And what a great location in the historic quarter. A bit pricey but excellent value. Highly recommended. Please note, the pin on the location is incorrect!

• Stayed January 2012