“Interesting but not really what I was expecting”

Dallas Farmers Market
Ranked #46 of 239 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: For six decades, the Dallas Farmers Market has been a fixture in downtown Dallas. Recently, the Dallas Farmers Market was renovated to serve farmers/ranchers/producers as a prime market to direct sale to the public. This is an ideal farmers market to meet the producer of your food! Dallas Farmers Market has a 26,000 sq ft artisanal food hall with restaurants and shops that is open daily. The choices are wide and varied: Abundantly Aromatic, Bellatrino, Bullzerk, Cajun Tailgators, Caribbean Cabana, Chelle's Macarons, Coolhaus, Dallas Antique, Doc Popcorn, El Mero Mero, Laili, Lone Chimney, Market Provisions, Mudhen, Nammi, Palmieri Cafe, Rex's Seafood, San Miguel Imports, Scardello, Si Tapas, Stocks & Bondy and Taqueria La Ventana The outdoor shed is a one-stop shop on weekends for seasonal produce, grass-fed meats, pastured eggs, honey, and some of the best food artisans making pastries, salsas, pickles, sausages, breads, and more! The Shed (open-air) is open on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Interesting but not really what I was expecting”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

The farmers' market in Dallas is definitely huge with a wide array of fruits, vegetables, plants, spices etc. It was interesting and fun to walk through but we left wondering what it really was. In San Antonio, the Farmers' Market is a place where local farmers can come sell what they are growing. In Dallas, it seemed it was a large place where pretty much anybody just sells fruits and vegetables and stuff from where? Anyways, some of the herbs and such looked very healthy so that may be a good option. Other than that, it was an experience but not really what I had in mind.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Elisha8685

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Watch what you purchase.”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I originally when the the market because I read a book about things to do in the DFW area. They described the DFM really wonderfull. My family and I when on a beautiful friday morning. There was not very many people and everything seemed fine until we really seen the fruits and vegetables when we got home. They display the food in baskets with the best or better stuff on top and the lower grade underneath so you don't really see it when they dump it in the bag. I say the fruits and veggies are okay it you're going to eat them that day, but not really worth the trip. I would say while we were there we came across Frenchie's Bistro and decided to give it a try. I have to say it was the best burger "Caramelized Onion Burger" I have ever eaten in my 28 years of life. I wish I took a picture of it but I will be going back and I'll upload one then. It took the chef a little while to prepare the food so a call ahead would be best. 682-597-2024 but if you know the number then you already know the food.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Ralph S
Palestine, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“First Time not Disappointed”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We went on a Sunday Morning around 9:30 am. We could not believe all the produce it was beautiful. We found the prices to be awesome and we bought something from almost every vendor. We did visit shed 2 and the line for Pecan Lodge was already about 20 deep. We will be back soon we want to try the tamale shop in Shed 2. A very relaxing visit on a beautiful morning. The only thing that I thought was weird I could not find a cup of coffee anywhere!!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank VEGASMOOLAH
537 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 537 helpful votes
“Grocery rejects”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

The 1 or 2 stalls that are actually farms and the rest are restaurant produce rejects that are to close to being spoiled. Every purchase is molded within a day max. It is a great way to spend a day downtown. Couple restaurants in the buildings, wander through the shops and the flower stores in the spring. Just pay attention when u buy the fruit.

3 Thank wick1979
474 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 981 helpful votes
“Not A Real Farmer’s Market”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The produce available at this market is for the most part produce that has been purchased at wholesale and then being sold at retail and frankly sometimes more than retail prices in the stores. Occasionally during the growing season , like summer and fall, there will be fresh produce that has been brought into the market. This would include watermelons that have come from the Valley. There is not a lot of produce grown in the north Texas area thus buying locally brown produce is just a misnomer.

Visited December 2013