“A Wow in Every Way”
Review of Smoke

Smoke
Reserve with OpenTable
Smoke is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 3,640 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Don't miss Smoke. I have to say we loved everything about it. We will go back and back.

We had heard about Smoke -- faves from friends. So when planning a dinner with friends, we suggested it. When I called I learned that they only take reservations for groups of 6 or more. So my husband and I went early to have a drink at the bar so we could insure we got a table. I know it can get crowded.

It is the restored and charming Belmont Hotel. Valet parking is pretty much required. When we walked in we talked with the young man working the front and he assured we would seat us when we could confirm our friends were almost there. We sat at the bar near the large jars with the cedar wood & tequila and the maple wood bourbon - infusing. It was so inviting we ordered the Woodshed Margarita and a drink containing the maple infused bourbon. Both were really delicious. Our bartender listened to my request to make my margarita tart. In fact, he was helpful and gracious in every way.

Isidro (Ysidro?) is the kind of ambassador for Smoke any of us would want to have for our business. He spoke of what a wonderful place it was to work and how proud he was of the food. He suggested that we order the blistered sheshito peppers as an appetizer. We took his suggestion and ordered them while we waited. They were surprisingly flavorful with sea salt, lime and bits of crispy ham. The are a must order. He also recommended the cabrito and the pork chop.

When our friends arrived, we were seated int the front room. It was busy but the table are enough far apart so that you don't feel crowded. We ordered the cabrito and the hummus to start. The menu has small, medium and large plates. The small is a small appetizer, the medium is an appetizer to share and the large are entrees. The cabrito was the table's favorite of the night. It was like a large tamale or meat pie filled with tender, flavorful cabrito. Again, don't miss it. As a table we had the whole fish which that night was branzino, the fish fillet which was red snapper and the beef ribs. The branzino had anchovy butter which was a tasty, tasty touch. The ribs had a nice crust and flavor. All were hits.

The wait staff was so helpful, friendly and warm. The entire experience was like that -- management has to be doing something very right to create that kind of atmosphere. Audrey was our waitress, was pretty new but soooo good. We loved her.

We were stuffed but remembered their signature dessert was churros so we split an order. Again I would go just for those.

I hope Smoke is around for a very long time. I would go just for the craft cocktails and I would go just for Isidro. I would go just for the atmosphere. I would go just for the peppers or the cabrito or the branzino or for the churros. Just go!! (And go again!)

And do what we did -- head up to the Bar Belmont for the view of downtown Dallas. You can get many of the appetizers and craft cocktails there.

There are newer reviews for Smoke

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The friends I was with wanted to go to Smoke. I gave up red meat for Lent and I didn't want to be difficult, so off we went. I looked at the menu on line and there was a roasted corn soup that looked good, so I planned to have soup and a salad. Smoke is adjacent to the Belmont Hotel, where the host sent us to wait. The lobby of the Belmont smelled like a urinal cake, so we didn't order appetizers, only drinks. Fortunately, our wait was short and it was back to the fragrant restaurant. Menus arrive: no soup. Asked the server: no evening specials. Menu is mostly meat, and it all smelled wonderful. The non-meat options were limited. I had the pimento cheese croquette appetizer which was fabulous with grilled romaine lettuce. I ordered a salad, which was nice, but very skimpy for $8. Also ordered the grilled shrimp which were served WHOLE, with head and legs. That may be gourmet to some people, but to me it is bait. I had to push it away and eat the $11 instead. For dessert we split a peanut butter & chocolate tart...the best thing I had all night.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

nicer decor than required for very good BBQ; sausage trio appetizer helps , the brisket is excellent, the short ribs are enough for 2 ersons, and the quail legs, thoa full dinner, served as appetizers for 3 persons also, as we split the ribs and brisket. good local Dallas brews on tap Peticolas' Velvet Hammer and Lakewood's Temptress. ribs were with a sweeter rub, and eating just one would fill you up due to the rich taste

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Was staying at Renaissance Dallas and looking for BBQ restaurant that had a little more ambiance than other places already visited (Dickey's & Sonny Bryan's). Smoke fit the bill perfectly. BBQ was excellent and was much more of a standard restaurant as opposed to ordering at the counter and finding a table. Not too fancy, mind you, but a real sit down restaurant. Went for dinner and our party had the sliced brisket and pork spare ribs. Both meals were excellent and of top quality. A few apps (spicy mixed nuts and roasted peppers) and a shared desert (key lime pie) resulted in the best meal we had in Dallas that week. Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

...there's not just fire; great food and atmosphere are included. Smoke is one of Dallas' best eateries but it's a bit off the beaten path (good!). Located next to the Belmont Hotel (itself a very cool, funky place), Smoke doesn't try to be high profile or trendy. It's very solidly established as a top flight restaurant and it lets its great food and wait staff do its talking. Even though the place got its name due to the smoked meats it features, there are many choices on the menu. The sea scallops are the best I've had. The appetizers are very good and very different. Check out the menu online and, next time you're looking for a really excellent meal in a funky, hip setting, make it Smoke.

Been to Smoke? Share your experiences!