“Great stay in a cool new hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Dallas Downtown

Aloft Dallas Downtown
Ranked #64 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
frisco057
“Great stay in a cool new hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2009

My family and I stayed at the ALOFT hotel in downtown Dallas last weekend. The owners did a great job converting an old warehouse building into a cool new hotel. The rooms were unique, due to the configuration of the original building and surprisingly - very quiet at night ( we were on the 5th floor).

The staff/service was great and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay - I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2009

Prob best place we've stayed in the US so far. Highlights included great decor, well-stocked food service and outstanding customer service. Worth the extra $

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

Great hotel concept, very modern/contemporary loft type rooms. I usually always stay at the Palomar but decided to try aloft. Rooms are big, good shower (no tub), great bedding, lobby is great with a great bar. Price is great too. Its just as good as a W. My only issues, the desk staff was young and not as professional as Palomar or other high end hotels. I like a more mature/responsible staff wearing jacket and tie. Location isn't so good either, its on the east side of downtown, not as convenient to McKinney & uptown.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Austin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

I travel for work and have stayed a number of Aloft hotels over the past year. This hotel is by far the best in this concept and is one of the top hotels downtown. The decor is great, the staff is helpful and the rates are reasonable. We had both dogs with us, they brought us a full pet kit that included: beds, bowls, treats and toys. Our suite was larger than apartments I had in college, I think they charge roughly $200/night on average for that room. It was a great first experience, I am ready to book my next trip!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

I normally stay at Le Meridien Dallas North because the rates are superb for a four star hotel. At $139/night for Aloft, it was a better rate than what Le Merdien was offering this time around. Here some important take aways:
+ Parking is free
+ Internet is free
+ Bottled water is free
+ Gym is modern, clean, and odour free
+ Pool is a little small
+ I was upgraded to a suite. Not many alofts have suites.
+ Chelsea in reception is very nice and helpful
- Located in an area is that dead at night. Car/Taxi is encouraged, walking... probably not.
- Questionable windows. Aloft Dallas wanted to keep the aesthetics of the building, so they kept the really old single pane windows that involve pushing a rusty metal bar in order to open the window. The rusty bar has sharp edges that could cause you to get cut while operating the window. Though I'm staying here in the Fall season. The summers could get really hot and winters really cold in the room because of drafts through the old windows. (See picture)
- While the weekends might not be a problem, there was lots of traffic in the morning starting at 6am, even though I was on the eighth floor, I could still hear cars rolling by. The curtains did not help with the noise suppression.
- When I arrived at the hotel, Both tvs weren't working. I called down to the Front Desk three times within 35 minutes wondering where the engineer was. The tvs automatically started working, but I never got a call asking me if the tvs were working again.
- There is an electrical socket that is very close to the bathroom faucet. The sink is one of those modern bowls that are small. While washing my face, I noticed that I splashed water all over the mirror and socket plate. This could cause an electrocution situation. (See picture)

Overall, The stay was comfortable, and the staff is very nice. Whoever designed the hotel didn't really think about some things and hopefully... you the reader should take caution.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Hickson_Chen
Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

This hotel opened two months before my stay, so I expected that there still might be a few bugs that needed sorting out. I was correct, but I really think this hotel has the potential to be really good..

I booked my room using Starwood points. When I arrived to check in, they could not find my reservation and asked for my confirmation #. I stay in a lot of Starwood hotels on points, and have never been asked for the confirmation #. I had to go out to my car and get my laptop, and show the lady the email that they sent me, which included the conf. #. She still couldn't find it, and finally just made me a new reservation. That was fine, but I was wondering what would have happened if they didn't have vacancies- I'd probably have been out of luck. Another reviewer mentioned this happening- this is a pretty serious thing- they really need to take care of the people who have chosen the Starwood brand.

Lobby was pretty nice, they had a bar with cool modern seating and light fixtures. I didn't have a drink there, so I can't speak to how good the bar is. They also have a little "store" close to the check in desk. It has toiletries, snacks, drinks, sandwiches/wraps, salads, etc. Prices were a little high (as expected.) My wife and I split a wrap, and it was similar to what you'd get out of a convenience store cooler, only more expensive.

The room was OK, but there were a few things that didn't really make sense. First off, the overall look: pretty cool. There was exposed brick and huge concrete columns, it looked like.... well... "a loft.." Even though we were on the 8th floor, views from the windows were so-so, and we only had one window in the main room. The bathroom is pretty cool looking, there was another window actually IN the shower that they put a see through shade over. (Hopefully, you can see out, but no one can see in.) Kind of weird to be standing naked showering by a full length window that you can see out of.

So as I said before, there were a few details that didn't make sense. On one wall, there are two tables/desks separated by sort of a bench. Even though there were 2 identical desks, there was only one chair. When we ate our wrap from the lobby, we wanted to pull both chairs up and eat together on one table, but we couldn't.

Closet- luckily, we were only in town for a couple of days. There isn't really a closet to hang suits/jackets or dresses. There was a little alcove that had a couple of hangers in it where you would have to hang your garment parallel with the wall (with the front or back facing you, instead of the shoulder like in a regular closet- I hope that makes sense.) Anyway, I guess you could have hung 1 or 2 garments, but not more.

Amenities- they give you a fridge, which is awesome. Free WiFi. There is also a coffee maker, and you get complimentary coffee and bottled water. There was something that was missing- and I don't know if I've ever stayed in a hotel in my life that didn't have this. There were no glasses/plastic cups, and there was no ice bucket. The front desk told me that ice was available in the little "store." I don't know if they charge for it, or if you just pick it up. I saw some little "ice bucket size" bags in a freezer in the store. I didn't get a bag, but IF they charge for it, that's ridiculous. Even the Super 8 doesn't charge for ice. I inquired about getting glasses (I was planning on having a few cocktails in the room, but we ended up staying out so late that I didn't) and the guy told me that when the bar opened, they could get me some glasses.. Again, seems like that could be easily solved by putting some plastic cups in the room- I guess they feel like the bottled water takes care of that..

Parking was fine, it was $6 a day, and right on the hotel property (you didn't have to walk far.)

Shuttle- I was told when I checked in that there's a shuttle that would take you from the hotel to the West End. This was awesome- only problem was that in 2 days, I never saw it. Cab rides to the West End (tons of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc.) were $6-$8. Location of the hotel was great- really close to JFK museum, Dallas Holocaust Museum, West End, House of Blues (if you are in town for a concert/show as we were- it's about an $8 cab ride).

All in all, there are some weird little details that should be fixed, but overall I thought the hotel was pretty cool, and has the potential to be really great.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

My mother just turned 55 and for her birthday my father and I purchased tickets for our family to attend the Texas - Oklahoma football game in Dallas. She is one of the biggest University of Texas fans and on her list of things to do before she dies, this was number 8. Hotels generally sell out early and cost was a huge concern given the high price of tickets so I had booked us reservations for two rooms at the Aloft Dallas on August 18th.

Then I noticed that they disappeared out of my account and so I decided to call and see what the deal was. No one could explain how my reservations were lost and since they had no record of them, they refused to honor them. I was only offered to book at the current rate, which was higher at that point and there were no longer any suites available. All I was able to book was a King room for two nights using points, but I had to book another room at another hotel because the Aloft didn't have any suites or two double bed rooms available.

I then called a week before my stay to make sure they had my new reservation. The woman at the front desk and the manager both basically called me a liar, saying that if I had made a reservation online they would have it. I had to call the national reservations number and have them e-mail the hotel a copy of my reservation before they believed me. The manager said he'd call me back after he received the e-mail, but never did. He was then unavailable when I called again, but this time they had my reservation on file, so I didn't press it.

So now the day arrives. After a full day of flying, I arrived at the Aloft hotel a little before midnight. I walked up to the desk, and was immediately told that they have no more rooms available, and they'll try to get me into another hotel. So after calling numerous times to confirm, they still screwed it up. I was extremely upset, as was my entire family. I am a platinum preferred guest and should not have my room given away, EVER. After I sat at the desk for 45 minutes while they called hotels in the area, I told them I hadn't eaten and was going to walk to get some food and if they could call me immediately when they have it figured out.

After about 25 minutes, the manager called and said that he has a room at a Hyatt Place and for me to come by the hotel for the paperwork. I inquire as to the location of the hotel and he tells me it is in FORT WORTH, which is 30 miles away!!!! The game was at 11am in the morning and traffic is horrible so this was unacceptable, not to mention I didn't even have a car. He then said he could put me Irving which was a less atrocious 17 miles away. Hardly comparable as the entire reason to stay downtown is to be able to take the DART to the game and to avoid gameday traffic. Since I didn't have a car I couldn't have even gotten to Fort Worth or the game so I told him that I didn't want to stay in Fort Worth or Irving and that I would have to make alternate accomodations on my own. He said they would try to fit me in the next day, but after making alternate plans I called the next day to let them know not to even bother.

Three things really upset me about this situation. When I arrived, the woman at the desk mentioned that a woman earlier had nearly threatened to kill her because they gave away her room and she appreciated me being cordial to her because she of course had nothing to do with reservations. This upset me because it shows that they KNEW about this problem much earlier and did NOTHING to try to make alternate plans for me until I got there. It's clear they were basically hoping people didn't show up so they could avoid the problem. How hard would it have been to call me when they realized the problem to give me a heads up and to let me know they were working on it?

Secondly, I was never offerred any sort of compensation nor have I received an apology call or e-mail since the incident. This upsets me even more because not only should they have been working on this problem from the second they realized it (I'm positive they could have fixed it because the person right in front of me was booked into a hotel right down the road) they didn't even care enough to try to appease me after I showed up. I expected, at the least, two complimentary nights at the hotel to be used whenever I returned to town in addition to having my points refunded for the stay. Neither of which has happened yet.

Thirdly, throughout the entire situation, I was treated like I was an enormous hassle for them and that I was being ridiculous and difficult for being upset about being offered a hotel in Fort Worth. This was the best they could they said. This is a lie because they should have been trying to fix this problem hours before.

The lobby was clean from what I could tell, but I was never able to see a room, because someone else was sleeping in it. TERRIBLE HOTEL AND HORRIBLE MANAGER.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family