“Neat hotel - a little weird maybe, but still neat.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Dallas Downtown

Aloft Dallas Downtown
Ranked #64 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Georgia
“Neat hotel - a little weird maybe, but still neat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Short version, if you're a traditionalist and are put off by modernistic styles, stay someplace else. Otherwise this is a neat place to try. It's very contemporary and laid out rather oddly. Lots of concrete, bright colors, and unique floor plans. A Fairfield, Hampton etc its not. However the people are very friendly, its clean, and its got lots of character. Its central to downtown and also the convention center so the core of downtown is within walking distance. That is good. What is a little negative, is that the dinner options within walking distance are rather limited. Lots of lunch spots, but the majority aren't open at night. Sure you can get a cab and go anywhere, but if you want more choices within walking distance you might want to go over to the warehouse district. Did I like it? Yes I did. Would I stay there again? I'd have to say it would be relative to what I'm there for. If I'm staying a number of nights and want more variety I probably wouldn't to be honest. However for a quick trip its just fine.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RC30319

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

I was upgraded to. Savvy Suite, it was huge too much room for one person. The front area would be great for work meetings if the space was brighter otherwise the room was nice and comfortable. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Ldenta,
We are very happy to hear you liked our spacious guest rooms and received great service from our friendly staff. Thank you for taking the time to share with us, and we hope the rest of your trip to Dallas was a good one. All the best.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

We went to Dallas for a wedding/ reception and were supposed to check in on June 12th. Due to a misunderstanding among family the rooms were booked but never paid for . Thanks to Jennifer and Samm that put us into a room helped us get something to eat and took care of us. Thank you guys you're the best.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

The Aloft branch of Starwood Hotels is great for a paired down, simple stay. We are a family of loyal Starwood guests even when we are staying 5 minutes from home. The Aloft in downtown Dallas has a modern upscale feel at a great price. We have done a couple in town stays at this hotel and are always pleased. We even held our daughter's 13th birthday party in one of their "ballrooms", it was a perfect venue for dancing teenagers. Our latest stay was in December for the annual Christmas parade. It is a crazy time to drive downtown, so many streets are closed for this parade and the hotel made it so easy to stay the night before, get up and walk to where our daughter had to perform and see the end of the parade. Nice, clean, well appointed rooms with a sleek modern flair. Great bar area to just stop in for a drink too, we have often stopped in after seeing a performance downtown. After seeing the Monty Python play, we ran into the cast in the bar during their last night touring in Dallas. Stay the night or just stop by for a drink, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here this last weekend for the George Straight concert. Close to downtown, close to DFW and lots of sights to see. The hotel had a great energy, we arrived late Friday night and had a few drinks at the bar - their staff were super friendly. Rooms were small but perfect for two people, we enjoyed the decor and loft design. Our room looked out over the back parking lot so we could hear a few cars and alarms, typical of a city. Overall we'd recommend staying here again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon M
Dear Shannon M,
Thank you for your kind review. We are very happy you decided to stay with us and enjoyed our convenient location to the Downtown area, hotel style, and overall Aloft experience. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon! All the best.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

To be honest, I don't think this hotel even deserves three stars but I'm trying to be fair as it has potential but unfortunately I just did not have a great experience. The hotel is basically a W Hotel (and directly affiliated) but more of a budget friendly version for when you don't want to spend $400+ a night. The rooms are large but decorated like a dorm. The bathrooms are quite small compared to the rest of the room. I appreciated the amenities offered for a mid-range hotel and that you weren't nickel and dimed on f&b and they are one of the few hotel chains to still offer a complimentary fridge and bottled Dasani inside the rooms.

To reiterate this hotel definitely has potential to be good and has the groundwork laid out, but from the get go things continuously went wrong during my brief stay. When I landed in Dallas, I was greeted by a voicemail saying my reservation was cancelled. I had an issue with the Starwood reservation site (no fault of the hotels) and through miscommunication they cancelled my reservation instead of crediting the difference to me for which I was over charged. Teddy at Aloft was quick to rectify this and offered to upgrade me to a suite for the inconvenience which was kindly appreciated.

After a long day, I finally checked into the hotel around 11pm. Exhausted I was looking forward to a hot shower and bed. I noticed some green goo before stepping into the shower and was taken back until I realized it was just shower gel and tried not to think much of it. When I lifted the toilet seat and saw that it too was unclean I was immediately peeved. The room was definitely cleaned. The trash cans were empty and the bed was made (with some type of wrapper stuck inside the sheets) but the cleaning crew obviously did not give a F* that day.

I immediately went downstairs and asked to switch rooms and considering how calm I was about the situation I would have appreciated a little bit more of a sincere apology for the inconvenience.

The next night after yet another long day, I retired to bed to quickly discover that there were 30 college kids staying in the room next to mine. How so many kids were allowed to stay in one room is beyond me. The walls in the room were paper thin and listening to them all night was unbearable. The final straw was when they drunkenly started mistaking my room for their own and tried to get in. To say it was an unpleasant evening is an understatement.

I left a message to speak to a manager a few days ago but never received a return call. The service in this hotel is severely lacking but shout out to Teddy for his efforts.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Santa Maria, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night. Not far from the zoo. Front desk was EXTREMELY courteous and helpful.
Hotel is built in an old building and they kept some of the look for ceilings and ambiance which I thought was cool. Décor is super contemporary and minimal. Clean. No typical book of local info in the room. Views out the huge windows on the park side are beautiful. Darkening drapes helped sleep in through the sunny morning. A/C settings actually work here! Pool is nice, cool place to hang out not for Olympic swims (6" sitting area, 3' &4' deep w jets). There is a bar downstairs and pool table.
We liked it for the one night but if we were staying longer would have preferred something with more bathroom privacy and home like amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the park offer nice views.