Aloft Dallas Downtown
Hotels.com
$364
MagnoliaHotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsconvention centerpioneer parkwxyz barexposed concreteloft feelloft stylemodern hotelking suitefront desk staffworkout roomsitting arearooms are largebusiness tripreunion towerself parkingwarehousedowntown
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here with 4 other guy's for our friends bachelor weekend. It's very clean and a cab ride from the bars. The hotel has a bar inside with a great mixologist. The only downside to the hotel was that there are no ice machine on any floor you have to get a tiny bag from the front desk.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank CJK6677
Reviewed August 8, 2013

OK. This hotel is a converted warehouse with a contemporary or "lofty" vibe. I was in Dallas for a large convention. The events included multiple clothes changes over 4 days - thus lots of clothes. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that my LARGE 2 bed room had what amounted to a hook hung at waist height for what was to be considered a closet. You couldn't even hang a man's suit on the hook without it dragging. So I hung many items using the "lip" of the window (my clothes are probably all sunbleached now after hanging in a west facing window for 4 days). The room really was large and spacious with lots of countertops - but NO DRAWERS. In the bathroom area, there were large "cubbies" but they were too high to even use; they were wasted space. I like to unpack; instead I had to rifle through my suitcase. The lack of closet space and no drawers/storage made getting ready a pain. This got a big thumbs down from me.

The bathroom was another interesting spectacle! The sink and "storage" area was separate from the shower/toilet area. They were divided by a mirrored sliding door. The shower/toilet room was just that - one large room with towel storage and a hook to hang your robe/towels right next to the shower. I never left my robe on the hook as I preferred it to be dry when I put it back on. I think the room was a handicap access room and that was why the toilet and shower were in a large room with no dividors. I tmight have been nice to have a curtain hanging around the shower "area" to keep the water inside.

The beds were listed as queens; but hotel queens seem to have shrunk down to a standard size bed . I wouldn't say the beds were uncomfortable; but I have slept on worse beds.

The temperature control was very good. The room was clean. I would not say the rooms were "quiet". We were entertained by a good bit of "noise" from an adjacent room at 5:30 one morning. Fortunately, the hotel did not charge us extra for the "entertainment".

The hotel is in very close proximity to the Convention Center. Saved a bit on taxi fares by walking.

Parking was in an open lot adjacent to the building. It was only $10/day. No hassling with valets or waiting to exit a parking garage. It was convenient.

I found all of the staff to be accomodating and cheerful. Check in was very easy.

The pool is not a pool; rather it is an enclosed oversized bathtub. The water temp was great; but there was basically no sun as the small outdoor space was enclosed by a wall. The temp inside that space got pretty warm (read: hot and stuffy). Apparently smoking was allowed in that small space as one person lit up a cigar and another lit up a cigarette. The space was too small and unventilated to make smoking acceptable.

The workout room looked better than standard. However I did not have time to use it, so I can't attest to the equipment that was in there.

I don't know how new or tested the Aloft concept is. This hotel has a way to go.

I would stay at this hotel again ONLY because of its proximity to the convention center. However, I would advise bringing your own clothes rack and dresser!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank springmissy
Meagan B, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank for you taking the time to write us such a detailed review. We appreciate the feedback about the storage space, bathroom and pool area. We are glad to hear that there we’re some aspects of your stay you enjoyed including our convenient location and parking. Again, thank you for leaving us feedback. Take care!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

From the moment we walked in the staff was great. Made us feel like we were home. We had a king savvy suite wow this room is huge 2-42inch slat screen t.v's Huge windows that let in alot of light with great view of a park with a water fall the walk in shower is also big a/c worked great it was 105 outside 69 in the room. We will be staying hear again.

Room Tip: King Savvy Suite is Huge
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Justin M
Meagan B, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for the review. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay in one of our suites. We are always happy to hear that our staff was able to provide you with great customer service during your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The desk clerk, upon learning that this SPG Platinum member had never even set foot in an Aloft, said "Well, this is our flagship. We're going to blow you away."

The upgrade to a suite, which really isn't a suite like Westin or Sheraton, ultimately failed when the engineer couldn't get the A/C to work. Just as well, since the drapes didn't fully close anyway.

After 45 minutes, they put me in another room. While waiting in the hallway, I drew designs in the dust on the "cool" box designs used as hall dividers.

New room, not suite: The A/C did work; the drapes didn't fully close. No light near the sofa for reading my book. No glazing on the windows to shield outside traffic and sirens, even from the 7th floor. Doors so thin and uninsulated that I heard all my neighbors arrive and leave -- and all their chatter. And the shower door leaked, flooding the entire bathroom area.

I was not blown away. Or more accurately, I was blown completely away. All the attempts at being chic and cool were lost on me. I'm going back to other Starwood brands.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the review. We are sorry to hear about all of the inconveniences you had during your stay. We’ll look into the issues with the drapes and reading lights immediately. Again, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us comments.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My coworkers and I travelled to Dallas for Mary Kay Seminar and chose the aloft because of its proximity to the convention center. It was a mistake. My confirmation (in hand!) was for a king suite with a pull-out sleeper for $99/night. There were three women in our room, so it was necessary to have the two sleeping spaces. The front desk put us in a king single because they said the king sleeper (which we had a confirmation for $99/night) was $149/night, even with the confirmation from the hotel.

Upon checkout, we asked to speak with a sales rep. Though many other women were having the same issue, the front desk manager, Meredith Cleary, refused to call the sales manager. She was huffy and rude, aggressive and defensive. She never once apologized for the mix up, or that three women had to spend three nights in a room with one bed.

I will never stay here again. I will discourage friends from staying here. If confirmation agreements are only binding on the behalf of the customer and not the corporation, something is WRONG.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for leaving us your feedback. We regret to hear your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. We are glad we were able to discuss this situation with you further. Thanks again for the review.