“ok... if you're 20 and want to party”

Aloft Dallas Downtown
Ranked #65 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Wisconsin
“ok... if you're 20 and want to party”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I suspected I was in trouble when the cab driver from DFW had never heard of the place. It's a recently remodeled warehouse - only been in use as a hotel for a couple of years. The desk staff consists of a handful of 20 somethings who can be complimented for their enthusiasm and willingness to print out a Mapquest of anyplace you want to go, but getting something like ice, another towel or an extra blanket takes several requests. The rooms have all the basics you need, but it's not a "warm" place at all - literally. The windows don't seal and it's very drafty. Because it's a renovated a warehouse everything is cement with thin squares of carpet strategically placed. It's known as a place that can be rented for raves, and the cement structure sends the vibrations from the basement party room throughout the entire building; sleeping on those nights is difficult. One evening the bar area had been rented for a private party so the hotel guests had very limited access. The bar staff were very good, but it's rude to be told we couldn't sit at the bar when we're staying at the place. We arrived one night to a valet attendant insisting he had to park our car even though we were hotel guests with a parking pass. The manager on duty, a lovely young lady who had helped us with other things, went with us to chat with the valet attendant. He reluctantly acquiesced, but seemed miffed that he should have to take orders from a woman and was surly to us when we returned to our car later.

The pluses: You're walking distance to Union Station and the West End. There's a 24 hour McDonalds a block away. It's across the street from the convention center. The view of the changing lights on the outside of the Omni hotel a block away. I think I'll stay at that Omni next time.

Room Tip: Stay at a hotel intended for travelers, not partyiers.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank MissWisc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2012

May be modern.... but NO modern luxuries! NO valet. NO room service. NO restaurant. NO service! Many other choices in Dallas!!
Room was modern, but small.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TexasTravelChic
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Nice enough building, former warehouse nicely renovated. Terrible service. The "aloha" desk attendant was very young and had no idea what he was doing. Complained about two puddles of vomit in front of the elevator bank on 9th floor. Still there 12 hours later. Unacceptable. Incredibly loud music coming from basement all night until 6am. Two nights in a row! Staff did not do anything when I complained. Hallway smelled like marijuana Terrible night of sleep. Seemed like a place where trashy loud people come to party. Stay away! Check out the brand new Omni down the street.

2 Thank R S
Mount Prospect, Illinois
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This is our third aloft property to stay at and most interesting building. Rooms are very constant thought chain. Try to stay on lower floors. Hot water problems. We moved from 9 to 3 some what fixed problem of not having hot water in shower. Just takes along time for water to get hot. Staf chalked it up to being old building but, I have been in a lot of buildings it's not building being old. It's poor plumbing design. But at least water does get hot. Great stay friendly staff. And love little blue soap in bathrooms will be back to aloft again.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 13, 2011

This hotel is in an easy access area which makes it easy to get around the city to all attractions. The lobby is upbeat and fun. The bar also attracts a good crowd. Rooms are clean but we found the bathroom area a bit cumbersome for 2 people. There is no room service and very little in the way of extras so if you need something you can buy it at the stand in the lobby. Overall I think if you want a single this is a good choice. If you are a couple keep looking.

Redwood City, CA
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We picked this hotel based on its location and the raves about service and the quality of the rooms. Clearly those reviewers received much better accomodations that we did.

We have a tiny room on the 9th floor that overlooks the roof. Lighting is poor, the wi-fi is horrible, and there is zero information in the room re: hotel anemnities or local area things to do. What appears to be passing for "loft style" in our case is just chintzy.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't stick you on the 9th floor. Normally upper rooms are better, NOT HERE!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
scooteryates, General Manager at Aloft Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear 1Maggie,
I am very sorry to hear that you did not find your time at aloft to be a fantastic one. I also want to apologize for the poor lighting you experienced. I will be sure to follow up on this to see if any improvements can be made. In regards to the information available about things to do in the surrounding area, our Talent members are very knowledgeable on the subject & are always more than happy to provide guests will a list of convenient resturants, shopping centers, etc. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you with the type of experience you expect from aloft & hope to see you in the near future! Have a great day!

Scooter
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I stayed at the Aloft hotel while in Dallas during a Seminar. The hotel is very trendy and nice inside. While I was there they had an art display going on in the lobby and I really loved that. They have a nice sitting area and bar area also. It was so easy for us to get to the arena. While most of ladies had to take a bus from other hotels we just had to walk a few blocks. Now I am sure its very popular during the yearly seminars and a first pick for many going to this seminar!
I did have an issue with my card being over charged. I shared the room with two other ladies and we all had to split the room. For some reason when I got home I was charged for I believe the whole room. They were very nice and took care of it for me, it just took a little extra calls to get it done. But I understand mistakes happen and they did a good job fixing it for me.
The rooms were as trendy as the rest of the hotel, very nice. Big bed and fold out sofa. I was not expecting the sofa bed to be so comfortable. It was a nice suprise. And considering there were 3 of us ladies who had to get ready twice a day the room was very spacious and accomodating for this.
Pool was very nice and relaxing. And also another great feature was the meeting room on the floor we were on (which I cant remember). It was a big comfy room to hang out in.
Overall great place, when I return to Dallas I will return to Aloft!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Hi BransonMO,
I am very happy to hear that your experience with our hotel was a fabulous one! We have many art shows that we host throughout the year & you are MORE than welcome to come check them out! I apologize for the problem with the charges on your card & I'm glad we were able to get those resolved for you. We are excited about your next stay with us & couldn't be more proud to know that when you return to Dallas you will return to aloft! Thanks again.

Scooter