“Go but skip the monorail”
Review of Dallas Zoo

Dallas Zoo
Ranked #12 of 248 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest zoological experience in Texas, the 106-acre Dallas Zoo offers fun, educational and entertaining experiences for the whole family. The Zoo's mission is to inspire a passion for nature and conserve wildlife, and guests can see a number of endangered species and learn about a variety of conservation projects the Dallas Zoo supports. Opened in 2010, our award-winning Giants of the Savanna habitat is internationally known. The savanna features elephants, ostrich, zebras, impalas, giraffes, and guineafowl, often mingling together. The Dallas Zoo is home to a herd of five female elephants and 11 giraffes, which guests can feed by hand. Guests will see the fastest land mammal on Earth, the cheetah, as well as African lions who often spend their days sleeping just inches away from the viewing wall inside the Serengeti Grill restaurant. The Wilds of Africa area features rare animals such as gorillas, chimpanzees and okapi. Guests will enjoy getting eye-to-eye with African penguins as they swim effortlessly underwater. Highlights of the ZooNorth section include the Lacerte Family Children's Zoo, a top-rated reptile and amphibian complex featuring albino alligators, and the Koala Walkabout, featuring the only koalas in Texas, red kangaroo, wallabies, and a lorikeet feeding area for up-close adventures. For alternative transportation to the Dallas Zoo, consider the DART Red Line, which delivers guests to the Zoo's front entrance.
Reviewed July 1, 2010

My family has been to atleast a dozen zoos and we enjoyed our visit to the Dallas Zoo today. We are members of the San Antonio zoo, so we were able to get into this zoo for 50% off, which is good (don't know if I had paid full price I would of been as happy with my visit), because the fees were steep, parking was $7 and the monorail for our family of 5 was another $15 and penny passport tokes were $1.01, instead of the usual 51 cents. You could also pay to feed the giraffes, ride the camels or ponies, but for extra fees.

There are two parts to this zoo, a new and old section. The older section of the zoo does not have a continous flow and you had to back track several routes to get to other areas of the zoo. A lot of it was overgrown and some of the cages empty. However, the monkey area and reptile house was very good. We saw several animals that we had never seen before, including albino crocodiles and several monkeys. We even saw a baby monkey that was only 3 weeks old, very cute.

The newer section was done very well and had a good layout. You could get really close ups of the giraffes, they had 8 of them. You had good views also of the elephants.

The last thing we did was the monorail, expecting to see something more than what we had seen. You did see a few other things, but nothing work the $3 per person it cost for a 20 minute ride. Would recommend skipping. I agree with another post, that they should just include one ride with the high price they charge to get into this zoo.

We were glad that we visited, but it is not a zoo we would return to. Some zoo you leave knowing you will return, others you know you won't....

1  Thank my3girlsAustin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed March 23, 2010

We love the Dallas Zoo! There has been huge improvements over the years, and we have really enjoyed seeing it develop into the family friendly zoo it is today! This is NOT a huge zoo, so you don't get worn out walking between exhibits unlike some other zoos. It's not small though, so be prepared to burn some calories, especially going up the hill back by the Rhinos! :) Dallas has attraction after attraction, and they are constantly improving and adding more exhibits! It's carousel is leaps and bounds better than the competitors!

SIDE NOTE:
My little family and I had a chance to visit the Ft Worth zoo this past wknd and, wow, what a let down. With all of the hype, I expected something really nice.. but instead we got to walk around wondering where the animals were! We saw lots of birds, but man, how boring! I have to say, the Dallas Zoo is SO MUCH more family friendly, fun to visit, and MUCH easier to get around! Way to go Dallas! We look forward to the new Savannah exhibit!

1  Thank kbuicker
Reviewed March 17, 2010

March 17, 2010 - we just got back from the Dallas Zoo and we are very disappointed. Not sure if the animals were sleeping or if there just wasn't anything to see, but we basically just wasted an afternoon. We paid $12 each for 6 people and all we did was walk alot. Where are the animals????

2  Thank bjsnowdin
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I've been to this zoo about 10 years ago and remembered it being a lot of fun. I was glad to see it still was! There were a lot of animals and I was worried when I started seeing a lot of signs about remodeling and construction; I thought that would mean a lot of the animals would be put up or in the process of moving locations, but this was not the case! All the animals were out. They all had a lot of room to roam around, and the landscape in general was wonderful. I wish we could have gone on another day besides Saturday, though. By the time we left around 2pm, they had run out of parking! (Which costs $7, by the way.) I would love to go back sometime when the remodeling is complete!

1  Thank calliejoanna
Reviewed December 5, 2009

The Dallas Zoo is nice but if you are a photographer who wants to get some pictures
of the animals, forget it. This is more for the kids. It's nice but very hard to get pictures
of some of the animals. Ever since the gorilla escaped, they have more causceous
for the safety of the patrons, which is good. Do what the Ft. Worth Zoo does,and
put them down deep, but still outside. Dallas does not do this. When the New Savanna
opens up, it will be a lot better. It is hard to shoot the TIGERS through the glass, because
it is always dirty with the kids fingerprints, or there is reflections on the glass.

1  Thank TexasPhotographer

Been to Dallas Zoo? Share your experiences!