“Beautiful”

Ranked #1 of 229 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A nationally acclaimed 66 acre display garden features breathtaking floral displays all year long. Nestled on the shores of White Rock Lake, the Dallas Arboretum was rated in 2015 by Fodor's Travel as one of America's Best Spring Flower Festivals. Dallas Blooms festival boasts of over 500,000 spring blooming bulbs, 3,000 azaleas and hundreds of Cherry Blooms-February-April. Summer in garden includes an outdoor concert series on Thursday evenings and breathtaking colors at every turn. Autumn at the Arboretum-September-November features a nationally acclaimed Pumpkin Village featuring over 65,000 pumpkins/gourds/squash and named one of America's Best Pumpkin festival in 2014 by Fodor's Travel. The 8 acre Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden was designed to connect children with nature. Education is a central focus the gardens mission, which teach life and Earth science with 17 indoor/outdoor galleries and 150 interactive activities - Where science and fun become one. Open seven days a week. Seasonal weekday discounts are available. The garden is closed New Year's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Wichita
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We had only time to see one site during our stopover in Dallas on our way to Houston and since I read the glowing reviews of this place, we decided to check it out. It was a beautiful sunny Saturday and we got there early, but the crowd was quickly filing in, also. Love the large grass field where people can just sit and relax and/or have a picnic! the garden, pools, and fountains were very nice. My wife especially love the occasional bench surrounded by the lush plants and trees. very peaceful.
My wife and I were glad to have found this place.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

With a couple of hours to kill before my flight I decided to get some fresh air and visit the Arboretum and am glad I did.

I visited just after Halloween when the gardens were adorned with 50 000 pumpkins and a 'pumpkin glade' which was most hysterical. The pumpkins were so huge and perfect looking that I thought they must have been made in a factory in China, but no,they were real and were quite the show.

I also enjoyed the myriad of squirrels running around gathering nuts and burying them. I think the locals were quite nonplussed, but I guess it would be like an American seeing kangaroos in the wild for the first time. Anyway, they amused me no end.

The gardens themselves aren't that big, but they are well designed and it was nice to be outdoors and see the different species of trees and mass plantings of shrubs and flowers.

My only criticism (in a country that's really cheap on the whole) was that it cost $25 to park and enter. But the squirrels and pumpkins made up for it.

Visited November 2013
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Breathtaking!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

It was amazing! We live close to Longwood Gardens in PA and didn't think we would find anywhere else that came close to it but this is a close second! They were decorated in pumpkins for the fall and it was beautiful! Since we were traveling with my parents we came across a little golf cart/tram that is available and it driven by a volunteer who narratied the tour. She was very knowledgeable and enhanced our experience with her commentary. The grounds are gorgeous and the estate home in the back is worth the time to tour.

Aurora, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Pumpkin Village Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I had received emails with wonderful photos of a pumpkin village that is at the aboretum until the end of November. I enjoyed the photos and when I realized I was going to be in Dallas during that time, I knew I had to plan a visit. I found the arboretum lovely, there were still some flowers blooming and although it was quite crowded, it didn't feel that way.

The Pumpkin Village was really something unique to see. How creative! If you have a chance to see it in person I highly recommend it! The gardens seemed lovely too but I didn't have time to go through them all.

Georgetown, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Fall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our visit came two days before Halloween, and we were treated to an array of pumpkins and gourds, the likes of which I have never seen! There had to be THOUSANDS of them. The pumpkin patch was huge, and beautifully laid out for children of ALL ages!

The only criticism is: Parking fee of $10.00 and entry of $15.00 per person was charged with only one hour before closing, and no military discount.

Visited October 2013

Been to Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens? Share your experiences!