“This would be world class with city planning”

White Rock Lake Park
Ranked #10 of 236 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Surrounding the jewel of Dallas, 1,015-acre White Rock Lake, the park is a prime spot for running, hiking, birdwatching, fishing and people-watching.
Dallas, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“This would be world class with city planning”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

One of the est urban lakes in the US. Quiet and really off the beaten track it just touches Garland Road so very little traffic. The problem is bikes an joggers share a narrow trail and the city tried to create a pristine atmosphere but left off any people amenities. If you go to lake Lavon and see what Rockwall did with a small restaurant area it shows you what a smart city can do with managerial a a valuable natural resource. I would never expect such far sight from the idiots who run Dallas but it would have been nice.
Besides that if you live in Dallas go out of your way to visit on a weekend day, this is truly a gem. Oh and be careful car break-ins can be a problem.

Visited June 2011

• Arabic first
Dallas, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A taste of paradise in Dallas”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I love this park and frequently ride bicycles there. I like the path because it has a good bit of variety including plenty of turns and hills, bridges, and rest areas with water. Food and drinks at 7/11 on the SW corner of the lake.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Michael T
Dallas, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Delightful morning activity!”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My husband and I moved to Texas 2 years ago, and our bikes have been gathering dust ever since. I finally decided it was time to use them and found White Rock Lake Park on the Internet. What a find! October is gorgeous weather in Dallas. The lake has a wonderful, flat 9.2 mile paved trail around it. Perfect for walkers, dog strollers, serious & casual joggers & bikers. Very clean, well-maintained. There were approx. 30 sailboats on the lake, sails billowing. Being in the "casual biker" category, I especially enjoyed the beautiful houses lining the shore. Plenty of places to stop and relax with a snack or picnic. Plentiful parking as well (no charge). The trail goes past the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden. We made the mistake of loading up our bikes and driving over there with the intent of having lunch, but their parking lots were packed. Next time, we'll just stop there on our bikes to eat. Overall, highly enjoyable!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank PAPam
Dallas, TX
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Absolutely love this park!”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We took the kids, 13 and 11, there for the afternoon for some walking and fishing. We love the activity there, the people-watching, the fishing off the pier. We've been several times, both as a family and as a couple. We find it's a relaxing, beautiful place to walk and sit and enjoy the activity around us, both on the trails and the water. We're not nearly as active as most who visit this park, so we tend to stay off the actual path as much as possible to allow the room for the cyclists and runners. We've never had a problem finding a parking space and there are a lot of picnic tables available.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank TexasScopist
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I love white rock lake. I'm wanting to...”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

I love white rock lake. I'm wanting to move to Dallas when I turn 18 and I'm totally going to get an apt close to white rock lake. I like how you can see the skyscrapers in the backgrounhahat. That make me feel like I was in central park lol. And there ware a few ducks and shady trees as well as bikers, power walkers, picnicers. You can experience this all at white rock lake for free. The only thing it was lacking was a public lake restaurant. The only one they had was private. They also need to make the side walk wider so biker can pass each other more efficiently. They need to have a place for a band out there too.

3 Thank Stevo100