“Rude Staff, Hard Beds, Bad breakfast and closed breakfast earlier than time marked”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas-Medical Center
Ranked #6 of 24 Dallas B&B and Inns
Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel in Dallas. I hate to say it was the worst experience with a hotel i have had. The room was ok, neighborhood was skechy. The customer service was absolutely horrible and I have never been treated so rudely before. I had just pulled out of the hotel from checking out and get a call saying my credit card was declined. I knew that wasn't right because I had just recently paid the credit card off. I explained that to the girl at the front desk and told her that also in my paperwork when booking this hotel from ichotelsgroup.com it stated that the reservations required full prepayment at time of reservation so I knew already why it was declining because a charge had already been made for this reservation and she was trying to charge me again but that didn't seem to matter to her. She asked if I had another form of payment. I told her I would call my credit card company and get right back with her and that I wouldn't give another method of payment without knowing if I had already been charged on this one. I called my credit card company and got excellent customer service from them and of course found out exactly what I already knew had happened. They advised me that I already had a charge from Holiday Inn Express and Suites on my transactions for May 4th, which was the day we checked into the hotel. So as I expected they were running my credit card again and charging me twice and not closing out the original transaction they did when i checked into the hotel. I had reservations to be somewhere else during this time I was wasting having to deal with this situation that shouldn't have even happened if this hotel staff knew how to do their job appropriately. I personally drove back to the hotel to deal with this matter in person and not over the phone. Advised them of what my credit card company had told me and explained to them they it was a mistake on their part and not mine. The girl kept pointing to this sign next to the desk about the hotels procedures when booking a room. I told the girl I knew how the process works regarding booking a room and it taking 5 business days for transaction to finalize according to my credit card company which said they were waiting on hotel to complete transaction for the first transaction to go through and up to 10 days with the hotel policy. So she made herself look poorly trained at her job because the sign she was pointing to numerously about the policy answered her own problem regarding the transaction being held for several days. Even after explaining all that to her and the manager who came out while this whole fiasco was going on telling both of them that it was declining the charge because they were putting the same charge through again they continued to argue with me and say it was my fault it was declining and even had the nerve to tell me that maybe i used my card and didn't remember it and the money wasn't really there. Are you serious?!? What kind of customer service is that? So in front of both of them, I called my credit card company back again!! Just like the first time I was told by a diffrent representative who even consulted with their supervisor that Holiday Inn already had charged me for the two nights I stayed there and they were trying to put the charge through again, but the manager of hotel and front desk clerk still wouldn't except they were doing something wrong. The clerk even had the nerve to put it in the computer and turn the screen towards me and say" see this is what it's doing!" like i thought she was lying about it or something, which only made her look stupid. I told her I know what's it doing, but it's declining because your putting my credit card through again for the same transaction, not because the money is not there, which had already been verified by the credit card company twice and with excellent customer service both times I may add. The credit card representative knew exactly what was going on from the beginning when I explained it to them but the hotel staff never seemed to get the picture and try to fix the problem they just kept telling me in many diffrent rude comments that it was my fault. Finally my credit card company said they would delete the first transaction since the hotel wasn't trying to fix the problem on their own and to get the hotel to run the card again after the first transaction was deleted and of course it went through then. Capital one showed exceptional customer service during this time and went above and beyond to make sure their customer was treated with respect and fixed a problem that shouldn't have even existed if this hotel staff was trained appropriately to do their job. I intend to put this information on every hotel and travel rating site I can find and will never stay at another hotel in this group after the way I was treated. Corporate needs to improve training for their hotel management and their staff to avoid putting the wrong people in positions they apparently don't need to be in to avoid future customer relations problems.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samhedrick3
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas-Medical Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear samhedrick3,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. I will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,
Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Has easy access to the freeway and Love Field. The room was spacious and clean but we overlooked the gas station/freeway and was quite noisy so we used the TV to muffle the sound of traffic and cars starting and stopping. Only stayed 2 nights so wasn't a real problem and the beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was adequate for our needs and the business center allowed us to stay in touch and print boarding passes. Check in staff less than attentive but check out staff were more friendly. All in all we would stay there again if visiting Dallas.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Tx
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed here because of the good tripadvisor ratings and location. Our room happened to face the street and was noisy with traffic and sirens audible all night. The small refrigerator and a/c were both very loud. We could hear doors close and talking in the halls. The breakfast was almost in edible. The eggs were probably made from powdered or synthetic. The pancakes were spongy. Nothing looked appetizing. So don't go there for the free breakfast. The bathroom was just the basics, with soap and shampoo but no lotion or shower caps. The towelslooked old and were poor quality. The best thing about this hotel was the convenience to the medical center.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank etang
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dallas-Medical Center, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
etang,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Travelers are raving about these Dallas hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last week with friend. The room was spacious, clean with plenty of necessary amenities. Complimentary breakfast was ok. Business center was helpful to print out our boarding passes prior to our trip. If the FD personnel was a little more friendly and helpful, then they deserve a five-star rating.

I will definitely go back if I ever return to the Dallas area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Easy access to I35 (when leaving make sure to use the road out the back behind the gas station, makes things very easy. Stayed on the 1st floor in a king suite. King bed w/ large flat screen tv, nice sofa w/ coffee table and small fridge/micro, desk area and chair. very spacious and loved the high ceilings. 5 lamps in the room. The bathroom is small, but is nicely done. Our room was across the hall from pool, rec room and near ice machines...yet was quiet. We like to leave the a/c fan running to drown out any noise, or we use our travel hepa. Breakfast was good....eggs, sausage, bisquit/gravy, fruit, pancakes, bagels, muffins, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee. Front desk was very pleasant at check in. Overall i feel safe even though right on i-35. Near market area and hospitals. Pool was a little cool and hot tub was very hot, my daughter didn't seem to mind the cool water. Afterall. she is swimming in February while it is 50 outside. I would definitly stay here again!

Room Tip: Suite is really nice to have. Just one large room w/ a bed and sofa.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2012

This hotel is also known as the Holiday Inn Express Dallas Market Center.
The hotel was clean, with a good staff and is new (2 years old). Rooms are spacious and the fridge and microwave are nice if you're there for a few days. The location isn't that great, but it is adjacent to a taco stand/Subway/convenience store that is open 24 hrs, so that's handy if you get the munchies at a strange hour.
The A/C unit in the room was noisy. Fitness center only has aerobic equipment. Pool/Spa small but clean. Breakfast is passable, but if you are there for more than a couple of days you will tire of it quickly. Staff was very good and responsive to my requests. Room was not as well insulated from the road noise as it should have been, especially considering the relatively new age of the hotel. All in all, an acceptable place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room that is not on the highway side of the hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2012

A friend and I stayed two nights and it was wonderful. The linens were wonderful, like a 5-star hotel and the newly renovated rooms were very nice. The staff was so friendly and Chef Ray went out of his way with a special breakfast. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends