“I've seen better for cheaper”

Dallas World Aquarium
Ranked #28 of 253 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The adventure at The Dallas World Aquarium begins at the top of the rainforest exhibit, where exotic birds, such as Cocks-of-the-rock and many species of toucans, can be seen. Lounging around are Two-toed and Three-toed sloths. Endangered animals, such as Orinoco crocodiles, Giant river otters, Antillean manatees and several species of monkeys are part of the many conservation projects. The aquarium portion displays interesting marine life, including Japanese crabs, jellyfish, Leafy, Weedy and Ribbon seadragons. Black-footed and Blue penguins can be seen swimming as guests enjoy the outdoor South Africa exhibit. Sharks, rays and sawfish are only a few of the fish living in the Mundo Maya cenote. Safe from Neotropical eagles, are euphonias, tanagers and hummingbirds. Reptiles and amphibians, both of significance to the Maya culture, can be seen throughout the exhibit.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have been to places where an aquarium is an aquarium, I have been to zoos that had more aquarium than this place. But I love monkeys so, I was happy to see them unexpectedly. I probably would have enjoyed the experience more if it was not so packed.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,062)
All reviews
in 715 reviews
"tunnel"
in 140 reviews

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I know, I know. I should NOT have come on the Friday of Spring Break to this place. What was I thinking? The line to get in stretched around the block, but as we stood in it and tried to research alternative places to go we found it moving pretty fast. The line was also interactive with birds and whatnots to look at as we shuffled forward, so not too bad.

The attractions and layout was good, but claustrophobic and it felt really unsafe to be packed into this space so tightly with so many people. The animals were obviously stressed as the big cats we saw paced frantically in their cages. The manatee while awesome to see, looked as if it was in a tank WAY too small for its size. Poor thing.

I think if you are going to see one animal-based attraction in the DFW area, choose the Ft. Worth Zoo over this. That zoo was one of the best I have ever been in, and comparable to San Diego's. This place would be nice to see on a Tuesday in the middle of the school year as long as there were no school groups around. That's why I give it an average.

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Overall, it wasn't entirely a bad visit but it wasn't all that great, certainly not the 5 that some are giving it.

If you're determined to go, here's what I hope is helpful advice:

Try to get there early. It opens at 9, we got there at 11 this Saturday. When we left a few hours later, the line was wrapped around the building. The parking lots are all surface and spread out around the museum. They also differ in price from $5-$10, some take credit/debit cards.

We were able to walk up to the window & only waited a minute or so. The prices are steep compared to most other "aquariums;" also, though they are members of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, there is no reciprocity.

This place charges more than most for everything. From the pressed penny machine ($1.01, not the standard $.51) to kids stuffed animals in the gift shop (a manatee, a sloth & a postcard cost $47). They also designed it so you would have to access some exhibits through a gift shop. You spend a few minutes convincing your kids they don't need the overpriced trinkets.

There are some aquariums in this place with obligatory clown fish, jelly fish & sea dragons but not enough to justify calling it an aquarium. There are birds (the flamingoes are gorgeous), a few lizards, an anaconda & some bats. The jaguar exhibit is well done & it's nice to know they have a space to run away to.

If Legoland was still broken, Medieval Times was sold out & there was nothing else to see, I would say come here. Otherwise? Save your money.

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We found this to be an odd, but interesting aquarium. They have lot's of birds, snakes, some monkeys and even sloths. Yes there were fish also but not as many as most aquariums. They have a manatee which you can see from above and below the tank. It seemed as though you can only go through 1 way and it was very crowded. It would have been better if they limited the amount of people coming in at the time. A little pricey and we couldn't find any coupons, but we were glad we went. We had to pay to park but it was close by and reasonable. Gift shop had good prices.