“A Treat to Behold”

Ranked #6 of 236 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1903, this prestigious art venue features a wide selection of art exhibits, from Ancient Mediterranean to Contemporary Art and Design.
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A Treat to Behold”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Easy to find, easy to enter with baby stroller, and easy to navigate. We also loved the air-conditioning. The staff was quite helpful. The snack bar was expensive, but that is par. We enjoyed our afternoon exploring the Arts. Quite a lovely facility.

Visited May 2013

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Mixed experiences”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I've been to this location three times now. The first time I went was with a group of friends, and my family. I was handed a pamphlet which had a lot of great and useful information in it that I took the time to read, as I wanted to take photos, but wasn't sure what the rules were about it. After reading all of the information, I read that unless marked otherwise, photography is welcomed, and so I was happy.

I entered into a historical exhibit about the 1950's and took many pictures without any problems. Friends of mine turned a corner and I followed, and found a beautiful statue that I loved, to which I took a photo and almost immediately one of the staff come up to me, put her hand in front of my camera, pushed my hand down and said in a rather loud voice, "You are NOT permitted photos in here ma'am." It wasn't that she was stopping me... it was how she went about doing it. It was embarrassing. My friends were looking back at me as if I had done something horrible and I was mortified. I apologized and explained I didn't know it was a restricted area, as I read the pamphlet and it said only restricted areas would photography be not allowed. She asked me to follow her around another corner that I hadn't yet made it to, to which she pointed at a sign that stated it was a private collection, no photography permitted. Again, I apologized and told her I hadn't even seen that yet, as I come in a different way, and didn't even know there was a sign. She replied, "Perhaps you should take some time to walk entirely through and note all signs, then come back to take photos in the proper areas."

I felt her response was rude and harsh, really. I ended up cutting my tour short and went to the cafe area where I sat and waited for the remaining hour for my friends. I was so upset by the treatment that I was just no longer in the mood for enjoying the art there. Eventually, we left, and I assured myself that I would never return there again.

Imagine my surprise when not more than 7 months later, one of the coordinators there contacted me to see if the non-profit group I organize would be interested in hosting a presentation night there and an art display for the evening. Of course, I took my personal experience and set it to the side as it was more important for the group to have this unique opportunity than it was for me to fulfill a silent protest against a single rude woman that happened to work there.

We went through with the presentation and had a highly successful evening, but it was cut shorter than anticipated, as for some unknown reason, the power in one half of the museum went out and people were being asked to leave an hour earlier than we had planned to end. At one point, I had to go back to my car to lock up my laptop after the presentation. Without realizing that the end of the museum that had no power was the very same end that I had to exit through, I was met with resistance about going back IN to the museum because they were closed. The gentleman at the door did a goalie style blocking manuever on me, as he was yelling to me, "CLOSED Ma'am!". When I stopped, entirely confused on what was going on, I asked, "Why are you closed an hour early?" He said, "Power failure on this end has shut the museum down. I apologize, but you can't go in." I said, "Well, I have to go back in. My family, and several organization members are in there along with all of the art we brought in. I have to help load it all out." The guy then softened up and allowed me through, but my first thought was why didn't presenters have some sort of identifying badges or something to avoid these sorts of problems. Then my second thought was why didn't the museum utilize some kind of notification system to let people know what was going on? I had people still in the art room thinking everything was just fine, but wondering why the flow of people just suddenly stopped.

Despite this, the evening ended well. We turned down offers of payment from the museum for our time, and appreciated the opportunity to work with them, but I would still say that some of the staff there needs better training on dealing with the public. I understand it can be a stressful job to keep people from destroying thousands of dollars of art displays with careless behavior, but at the same time, there can be some tact and respect when dealing with people who might be accidentally violating some kind of rule.

Overall... my experience has been OK. With kinder staff, and a better organization of dealing with the public during unusual events, I think this place could easily be one of the best Museums to visit out there. They just need a little tweaking here and there.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Stephanie M
DallasMuseumofArt, Public Relations Manager at Dallas Museum of Art, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Hi Stephanie,
Thank you for your review. Input from our visitors helps us improve the experience for all.

We were unhappy to hear about your two experiences in the Museum’s galleries. Regarding photography, there are some restrictions for loaned works and special exhibitions; the use of flash and tripods/monopods are also restricted to help protect the works. We apologize for your previous experience. We did, however, recently change training models for our gallery attendants. I believe your visit was prior to this training change, which incorporates a greater emphasis on visitor services, and hope that your experience would be quite different on a future visit.

During the power outage this past February at Late Night, our security was working with the city to determine the cause. In the process, there was conflicting information and eventually we had to close the Museum 30 minutes earlier than scheduled. Our main concern was the safety of our guests and the protection of the art. Our security team has reviewed the evening’s events and has determined areas for improvement. Your experience will also help us improve protocol for future emergency situations. I know that visitors, and staff alike, greatly enjoyed your presentation in the Center for Creative Connections.

I will share your comments with our Visitor Services and our Security departments. Thank you again for posting. We hope that you will enjoy future visits to the DMA.
Kimberly Daniell
Public Relations Manager
Dallas, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Art during the day and entertainment at night”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I love the DMA. There is something there for everyone who enjoys art. If you want to stay later, on Thursday nights they have live jazz in the atrium and a little cafe set up. The third Friday of every month, the DMA does a late night with activities, music and, of course, the art.

Visited June 2013
Grapevine, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A great place for families or a date”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a great museum for families and couples alike or by yourself for that matter. We recently visited on a Saturday afternoon and had a great time. There is plenty to do for the young ones, there is usually an art project that the kids can participate in that is tied in with the exhibits and have something they can take home The younger kids area is fantastic, plenty to do and entertain them with something far more enriching than video games!
We have also visited several times on the Late nights and had a great time, this makes an excellent date or just a night away from the kids. There is so much to see and many excellent pieces in their collection, you definately want to take your time. The gift shop is great but pricey, I see so many things that I want.
We usually take the street car so parking is not an issue. There are plenty of parking lots around that run around $10.00, less if you look. Be careful with the meters, just make sure you read all the rules before parking there or you may wind up with a ticket.
I did not know that it is now free to get into the Art Museum, I thought that their 10.00 admission was quite reasonable but now you have no reason not to visit!

Visited June 2013
Ben Wheeler, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Birthday Art Bash!!!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Took the whole family to the Dallas Art Museum for my daughters birthday!!! We had a blast, fun for the whole family!

Visited November 2012

Been to Dallas Museum of Art? Share your experiences!