“Good value, good location, tired around the edges”

Gateway Hotel Dallas
Ranked #140 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I chose this property based upon TripAdvisor reviews and had my expectations adjusted accordingly for a budget experience at $50 per night. On the plus side, the hotel is conveniently located in a city in which car is king ("lonelier than a pedestrian in Dallas" should become a new expression). Staff are very helpful and friendly, for example, a room was not ready when I arrived early and I received a cellphone call just as soon as one was. The room was spacious and clean, the bed was comfortable, the free WiFi speedy, the included breakfast buffet a nice touch.

On the minus side, there are signs of wear and tear everywhere. In room 114 the upholstery on the arms of the desk chair is frayed and torn. The plastic bathtub surround has a large, crudely repaired crack around the faucet, which is loose. The public hallway carpet has so many stains it's beginning to look like a leopard print.

In sum, come with a "you-get-what-you-pay-for" state of mind and you'll be fine here. Interestingly, the Grand Hotel Dallas (ROFLMAO) just across LBJ Freeway looks just as nice for $40 a night.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank chalouisduletz

Reviewed March 31, 2012

The rooms are very nice,the service was even better! They even give you real eggs in their free breakfast unlike the microwaved eggs at comfort Inn where I paid $25.00 more a night to get less.You won't go wrong here,its close to everything and you will leave remembering you'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Richard P
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I have been to soo many hotels ,, in miami ,, new york ,, houston ,, orlando ,, but this hotel was my best hotel experience ,, they charged really low comapring to their quality , service , and location.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was hoping for more than what I got. While the hotel is pretty nice looking from a distance and even though some aspects are quite nice; the overall feel is that of a re-branded lower scale hotel. I was disappointed with the professionalism of the front desk staff, despite their friendliness. If management/ownership took some extra time to form a solid front desk team they could really positively alter the overall appeal of this hotel. The carpets were filthy throughout the guest hallways. Every door was heavily marked by dirt and scuffs. There was a general unpleasant smell throughout the guest hallways. These small DETAILS can turn a mediocre property into a great property and would have improved my scoring of the property by at least two marks. In the end, the price is what sold me.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Charles B
RobinOh, Manager at Gateway Hotel Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

First, let me thank you for your time. In this day and age where time is a valuable resource, I thank you for your feedback and honesty. We strive to bring each one of our guest's the best possible stay for the best price, and unfortunately we fell short in this endeavor. I will state that the small details that you point out will be something that will take time and effort. Currently, the ownership did in fact, rebrand the hotel recently and have been trying to please every guest and their standards. You mentioned the carpets being dirty and the doors having scruff marks- in which we plan on renovating in the very near future. These are one of our top priorities. We will take your feedback and learn from it and try to create a better instance for our guests as well as you on your next stay. I hope that you will give us another opportunity anytime you are near the area. I assure you that we will continue to be the best price for the our quality anywhere in the Dallas Area.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights mainly because i got a relly good deal on expedia. The room was clean and it was spacious with a queen bed, flat screen tv, a desk, sofa, chairs, a mini refrigerator, microwave and a kettle.
Free Wi-Fi
The hotel is just off a freeway but I didnt have any problems with noise.
Near the hotel you got a some fast food places like Subway, McDonalds and Jack In the Box.
If you dont have a car and you want to go downtown you need to take the 360 on Coit Road to Forest Lane Station and from there you get the metro to downtown (45 minutes plus in total). If youre there for shopping theres no Malls nearby and you would have to take a taxi or a long journey on buses/metro.
Another thing to notice is that this hotel used to be called Clarion Inn Park Central so if you are using taxis or if you are booking Super Shuttle or Go Yellow to/from the airport you wont find Ramada Dallas North on their online system, you will have to select Clarion Inn Park Central ($19 one way)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night. Room was not as clean as it could have been. Bed was average. Our telephone and hair dryer did not work which we informed the clerk (but this was not a big deal for us, as we had cell phones and our own dryer). The room could use some updating, but I did not downgrade it for that as I realize that for the price they charged it was within expectations. The breakfast was decent with many choices of foods and price considered was good. We did inform the attendant that the milk at breakfast had gone bad and she promptly replaced it. We are also in the hospitality business and I realize that these are very challanging times for our businesses and I dont think most guests have a clue about what it takes to run a business like this. My only advice for the management would be to work a little more on the cleaning part of the rooms, other then that for the price they charge I would recommend this property.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travelingmanIllinois
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The guy at the front desk was really nice I think his name was David. Anyways I thought the breakfast had a nice big selection and was very alert that some of thier food may contain food allergies. Very very impressed! We were planning on staying at a comfort suites but we had an awful expierience in San Antonio a couple of days before. So glad that we stayed here!

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank Agotcher
Robin332, Manager at Gateway Hotel Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay! I must thank you that you gave us the time and effort to write us a review. I sincerely thank you and value each of your words. It means the world to us that we satisfy each one of our guests and it goes a long way to know what made another guest happy. Again, I thank you for your kind words and hopefully we will see you again in the future!