“High marks all around”

The Adolphus, Autograph Collection
Ranked #18 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I don't usually give five stars but this hotel deserved it. The room was nicely appointed, with tons of pillows. While neither the room or the bathroom were huge they were adequate size. It was, by far, the quietest room I have stayed at in years. The hotel staff were very nice, efficient and helpful in every request. Perhaps the only change I would make is that the bed was sort of hard, but that is trivial compared to the plusses this place has.

The hotel is about 100 years old and has that "classic" old hotel look. It has obviously been refurbished and they maintained the traditional wihle upgrading it. The meeting rooms were, again, quiet and the service was remarkable. Although I did not personally have dinner in the French restaurant downstairs several people I was meeting with did and they said it was elegant and worth every penny.

For a business meeting it would be hard to beat this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank ExperiencedTravelers
Write a ReviewReviews (2,700)

Reviewed May 29, 2009

You're right in downtown Dallas. Close to niece and expensive restaurants, the Art district and a few museums. Starbucks around the corner and a few places to have lunch and dinner in Main st. Public transportation easy. Good value for the money

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank montclaire2537
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We stayed for one night at this hotel. I cannot be more pleased to stay in such a wonderful place. We arrived at the room around 20:00 and there was some noise coming from a construction next to the hotel, but it stops around 21:00. We were in the 16th floor and at 6:00 the noise in the construction started and it doesn't stop until 11:00 when we leave the hotel. It was terrible. It was really insane that somebody starts to work with a drill at that time in the morning and didn't stop. So, the last hours of our staying there we didn't enjoy at all, and we didn't have the rest that we were expecting to have in such a nice place.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank isaHolanda
Reviewed April 28, 2009

My husband and myself had the very great pleasure to stay at this hotel for 3 nights, oh how I wish I could have stayed longer.
From the moment we arrived very early in the morning, after a very long flight, we were allowed into our room straight away. In other hotels you pay for this.
The receptionist could see we were very tired and our check in was a breeze. We were informed the breakfast room was just about ready to open so we went to our room dumped our belongings, washed our face and down for breakfast. Again service here was fast,friendly and efficient. We had had nothing decent to eat for the best part of 12 hours [do not fly wth American Airlines] and breakfast was just what we needed. The staff were so friendly it was a delight to eat here in the morning. Breakfast was also very good. Upstairs we caught a few hours sleep and by 11am we were ready to face Dallas. And what and absolutely fantastic city this is. Friendly locals, a great transport system[so cheap] good restaurants - the little italian place behind the hotel is really good- ask for Jorg and Milano the owner- they will keep you right and do try the Mona Lisa salad-FAB!
Brilliant museums within walking distance of this hotel not forgetting JFK memorial and of course the 6th floor museum where the fatal shot was fired from, but another museum that should be top of your list is the Holocaust museum. This museum was founded by Mike Jacobs a living survivor of the Holocaust and it is not to be missed. My husband found it upsetting and whilst so did I, my overriding thought was of the people who perished and what they must have sufferded at the hands of the Nazis, I felt I owed it to them to finish my tour of this mueum. I don't know what my feeling were when I came out, sadness I think, but I am glad I visited it.
Back to the hotel and the staff. I have never encountered such friendly, couldn't do enough for us staff, than what we encountered in this hotel. The male concierge let us into the French room to take photos, the female concierge made enquiries about a visit to Southfork and supplied telephone numbers, [and asked how we got on when we came back], the porter told us where to go shopping and another one helped us with the phone system. Another one told us about the history of the hotel and when our Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh used this hotel back in the nineties. There is a photograph and plaque of the Royals in the lobby.
This is truly a magnificent hotel, where the staff are very proud of it and its reputation.
They are obviously very happy in the hotel, as I spoke to members of staff who had been there for 20 and almost 30 years.
Rooms are well equipped and very comfortable. Good clean bedding and nice towels.
Everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel and more. In a sentence - Good old fashioned hospitality at its best- and I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rubysophie
Reviewed April 21, 2009

I ended up in this hotel by accident. Personally I wouldn't have choosen such a traditional historic hotel, but I was surprised that it had free WiFi and an oldfashioned but high-tech desk. Big plus!
Even though I had one of the smallest rooms I still would consider this room big (two queen size beds plus seating, a desk and a huge walk in closet.
Minus: the air conditioner. It was so loud that I even had to turn up the volume of the TV. The TV is by the way tiny and old (not a flat screen). I would have expected a better one.
This hotel is more for older people who still love flower curtains and not for high tech fans.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank busybine
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I was intrigued to book a stay here after seeing the magnificent pics on this website and especially after getting an incredible discount on my stay thru Expedia. I am always attracted to romantic, historical hotels and always try to at least check them out when I'm in a given town. Upon arriving here, the valets treated me like royalty and helped me carry my bags and were only too happy to help, even when I didn't have any cash readily available for a tip. They seemed genuinely happy to make my two night stay as wonderful as possible. When I saw the gorgeous and super elegant lobby and common areas at check-in, I knew I had arrived! The front desk staff was as deferential and helpful as the valets and my check-in was problem free from the get-go. The room was meticulously clean and beautiful, not to mention huge, a whopping 550 sq. feet and it was only the deluxe, not superior room. The bathroom was elegantly up to date and very tastefully decorated in a tuscany, Italian marble theme. The rooms are appointed with antique lamps that look like cloisonne/Asian vases and I couldn't have felt more comfortable. Though the hotel dates from 1912, the electrical outlets work very well, unlike with some historic hotels and though I can't speak for the wi-fi or internet hook-up performance, everything worked!!! I ordered several room service items and they came promptly and the servers were very courteous and bent over backwards to please.

I have to be honest, I had some trepidation in booking this hotel, as I had read many neg. reviews regarding the thin walls and "lack of privacy" due to poor insulation. Well, I am the original light sleeper and was prepared for hearing sounds of amourous couples, loud tvs and terrible street noise on Akard Street. I have to say that I spent two very quiet nights at the hotel, despite an apparent near full capacity. There was a girl's pre-wedding event going on and I thought, oh no, lots of partying into the night and noise. AGAIN, I didn't hear a thing from anyone, it seemed that no one else was even on my floor; though there appeared to be lots of cars in the garage. I have to say that this was a spectacular experience and you have to stay here at least once. Some nuttos who h ave reviewed this place, have said that it is dated and worn. Not only am I a light sleeper, I am also a hotel snob, and believe you me, this place is a tour de force; I have stayed in the world's best hotels and this one is near the top of the list. Elegance, courtesy, and an alluring history make this a wonderful place to stay. I got a tremendous deal on Expedia and would recommend that you check there for excellent package rates (I paid $205 for a three day car rental AND two nights at this hotel), you can't beat that. I was charged $48 for two days of parking my car ($24 per day), but they did NOT charge me extra hundreds of $ on my debit card, as others have said. There is an $80 per day "incidental expenses" charge which I didn't like, but apparently, since I prepaid the room, they did not actually charge me, go figure.

John, the concierge is a wonderful asset to the hotel and I just can't say enough about my experience here. If this place is good enough for Donald Trump and Queen Elizabeth, believe me, you won't feel any less special here! AWESOME EXPERIENCE.

P.S. I did not get a chance to dine at the French Room, as it was closed on the days I was there (closed on Sundays and Mondays). I will be sure to hit it up next trip. If anyone tries it, please let me know. What a knock-out that restaurant is, much like the hotel itself.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank cjennt
Reviewed April 5, 2009

We got a 90$ rate on Hotels.com, and we expected the usual shoebox room near the ice machine or some other noisy corner. Boy, were we surprised. We were given a large room on the 16th floor (the bathroom was larger than some hotel rooms I have seen...) with a huge closet. The room was full of light and extremely quiet (contrary to some of the rooms below, where you'd have to deal with the nightlife outside or the receptions and parties so frequent at the Adolphus).The decor was charming, the beds comfortable and the toiletries were very nice. Service was impeccable. I read complaints about the valet parking service, but we did not have any problems and the service was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Maid service was invisible. Wireless worked perfectly every time.
The lobby is indeed grand and very well maintained. It is a pleasant place to sit down and read, and maybe have your afternoon tea (we did not). Contrary to hotels like the Palmer House in Chicago, were a grand lobby is paired with cookie cutter rooms, the Adolphus keeps its unique flavor in every room, not only the high-end suites.
The hotel does not have a pool. It has a fitness center that is OK, but not impressive. You do get a pass to some high-end fitness center nearby, so if you must spend time in a state of the art gym, you can.
Breakfast is not included. There is a Starbucks nearby (at the Magnolia), you can walk to Neiman Marcus and sample their famous cookies (they are really good), or you can splurge on breakfast at the Bistro or have it served in your room. We had breakfast at the Bistro once, and it was absolutely delicious. Overall, we had a great relaxing time at the Adolphus, at a more than reasonable cost. It really does not get any better than this.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business