“New Years Eve”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 205 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked a room at the Adolphus through hotwire and got an amazing rate for a room with a king bed. The valet service was incredibly professional for $28 overnight parking. The front desk gave me the option of a higher, quieter room with a better view and a queen bed which I took because high and quiet is always good in my book.

The room was clean and the bed was comfy. It's an older hotel so if you're into the whole modern look and feel, this might not be the place for you. I honestly don't mind older hotels so I enjoyed the feel of the place.

Check in and checkout was a breeze as well as getting the car from the valets the next day. I would definitely recommend the Adolphus if you're in Dallas. My only complaint was that the elevator smelled like old cigarette smoke, probably from a time when smoking in a hotel wasn't considered pariah-like behavior.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kmeyer75
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending New Year's Eve with us.

We appreciate the kind words and the thumbs up.

Our management and staff look forward to your next visit.

Kindest regards,

There are newer reviews for The Adolphus

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Adolphus is a classic hotel dating to the 19th century in downtown Dallas. It is a great place for those who like this classic charm and are OK without some of the convenience of the ultra-modern hotels.

ROOMS: Each room is lain out differently due to the older nature of the hotel. Ours was clean and had limited road noise although it faced Commerce. We were there on a holiday weekend. The blackout curtains allowed us to sleep in to an unprecedented 10 AM! There are coffee makers, hair dryers, etc. in the room. It is a single vanity in most rooms. Since this is an old hotel, the closet space is very limited and drawer space isn’t much better.

SERVICE: Without exception, every member of the Adolphus staff was personable, friendly, and helpful. You can tell that the leadership of this place has taught their teams quite well.

COFFEE AND SNACKS: 7-eleven is just 10 yards to the RIGHT out of the front door and the Flying Horse Café (coffee shop a la Starbucks) is just 20 yards to the LEFT out of the front door.

ROOM SERVICE: Breakfast showed up promptly at the beginning of our specified window. They forgot my wife’s decaf but were back within 10 minutes with a fresh pot. The food was hot and tasty and the attendant was pleasant.

VALET PARKING: It is $28 per day but self-park is $20 per day. So, you might as well splurge. The valet desk seemed to take the phone off the hook quite frequently and we got voicemail. Be prepared to wait for your car or call down 20+ minutes in advance, if they are answering the phone.

WI-FI: It is a hose job at $11 per day. Try to go to Flying Horse café for your Wi-Fi needs.

CHECK OUT: Check out time is a VERY civilized 1PM which is just great compared to most places that shoo you out at 10 AM.

Room Tip: If you are cold natured, beware of corner rooms in very cold weather. Rooms with two exposed walls a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rossharris

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your thorough review and compliments. You are most kind.

Thank you, too, for recommending us so highly.

All the best,

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I stayed here from New Years Eve to NewYears Day because this hotel is located downtown Dallas. We booked on Hotwire.com and the total price with taxes and all was $88.95. I am so glad we didn't have to pay the full price or I would have been utterly disappointed.
Pros-very good service, very good bathroom products, located downtown, very nice lobby and lounge area, loved the bar and the decor in the common areas.

Cons- although the service is very good the employees look at you like they are waiting for a tip, the deluxe king room is very plain, no frills, not enough electrical outlets, the hotel charges for wifi, valet is $28.00, they put an $80.00 incidentals hold on your credit card at check in, paint chipping on walks and doors, hotel desperately needs an update and renovation.
I expected much more from The Adolphus and I definitely will not return. I am so thankful that we didn't pay full price! That would have ruined my New Year celebration.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies for disappointing you in the way you describe.

Your comments have been shared with our top management, and they are looking into your complaints.

We appreciate your taking the time to compliment us on what we did well.

Thank you.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We recently experienced a wonderful week long stay at the Adolphus. The staff was great - very welcoming and professional. I needed to add an extra night to my stay and the staff was very accommodating. The hotel lobby was beautifully decorated for the holidays. We enjoyed the pianist for over an hour one afternoon, what a nice touch! Unfortunately, we didn't know advance reservations were needed for afternoon tea in the hotel lobby living room, and that was disappointing - it looked spectacular. We hope to experience it on another visit. Our sleeping room was upgraded to a beautiful, spacious suite. The room was clean and very comfortable, as were the common areas. We were very pleased with the adjoining Rodeo Bar & Grill which was a lifesaver since it was so cold outside. I have already recommended the Adolphus to my colleagues and look forward to visiting again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Irma,

You captured the essence of The Adolphus, and we thank you most sincerely.

We appreciate your sharing your opinion with other travelers who look for fair and balanced reviews.

All the best to you,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I had a friend visiting me in the Dallas area from Hawaii, and wanted to make sure I was able to show him a good time while in the city, so I decided to reserve a room at the Adolphus on the last Saturday night he was here. I was skeptical at first, because I had never been to the Adolphus, and the website kind of gave me the impression that it was for romantic old people, but in reality the Adolphus turned out to be a hotel that people of all ages could enjoy and appreciate. Starting with the reservations itself, the lady who I spoke to over the phone was extremely helpful and genuine. I told her my intentions of wanting to show a good friend a good time, and she went out of her way to make sure that I got a room with a view and on a high floor. Even when, last minute, I had to change the date of my stay (I had originally booked for Sunday) to Saturday, the Adolphus showed admirable patience and understanding, and were able to make my changes with no hassle at all. On arrival to the hotel, the valet parking and check in were pain free, and quick. We were off to our room in no time, which to our surprise was on the very top floor, with a beautiful view of the downtown skyline. The Adolphus also is located right in the heart of the city, so everything we wanted to do was within walking distance for the most part. Luckily for us, there happened to be a concert going on at the Dallas Convention Center that night called "Lights All Night." Almost all the other people staying in the hotel were going, so me and my friend bought tickets, and were able to walk right over to the concert in less than 10 minutes. I could go on in detail of all the reasons why my stay at The Adolphus was so great, but basically I had an epic day/night thanks to The Adolphus, and was able to show a friend from Hawaii a great time. This will easily be my go to hotel in the Dallas area from now on.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 22nd floor. The rooms were big, comfortable, and had an awesome view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

What a good friend you are. You went to great lengths to make sure your visitor was comfortable, and it sounds as though your planning paid off handsomely.

We are delighted that we could help you realize your dream.

Thank you for choosing The Adolphus and making it your go-to hotel.

Cordially,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

When in Dallas, stay at the Adolphus. Its a wonderful special experience but still "Texas friendly" in its ambiance. the rooms are spacious, gracious and there are often specials available so don't assume it's "too expensive." And the French Room offers fantastic food and service. Allow some time to just sit in the lobby or wander the nooks and crannies and find the photos of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip when they were guests. You, too, will feel like royalty.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a sitting area for a little more space. I've stayed in three different room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Carolyn,

Our management and staff appreciate your compliments and high praise.

Thank you for sharing your experience and insight. We are most grateful.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

While the wood panelling in upper lobby and elevators may fool you into thinking this is a grand old hotel, do not be fooled. The management and staff need refresher courses in hotel management. 1) valet only parking might be acceptable if you did not have to wait 15 minutes to leave your car, 2) the elevators are beautiful, but when they are not cleaned the next morning after some irresponsible revelers left them filthy, they are not so beautiful, 3) the large room and spacious bath were quite nice, but poorly maintained plumbing and the fact the cleaning staff left a rag in the room and forgot to empty the trash, 4) the concierges need training - when we asked for directions to a local a mile away the concierge started to describe the route when another stopped him, took out a map that he should have shown us, and then told us that there was complimentary car service to take us to the destination. 5) while the car service is a positive, it has to be there; the next morning when we requested the service at 8:30 am we were told the driver had not yet arrived. So...nice room, nice price, terrible experience

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wajtv

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We apologize for your disappointing experience. Rest assured, your comments have been given to our top management for their review and follow up.