“The location and service are perfect for a weekend visit”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Georgetown, Texas
“The location and service are perfect for a weekend visit”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had stayed here in 2005 and was curious to see how it lived up to my memories. I was a little concerned about recent mixed reviews but not enough to panic when it was the winner for my Priceline bid. I called a few days before our weekend trip to confirm reservation and to submit my room preference request. Glad I called- the desk clerk, April, couldn't find my reservation. She asked me to email my Priceline confirmation and, after about an hour, April emailed me back to say the reservation was fine. I asked her to put down "high floor, away from elevators, city view" for room preference.

As expected, getting into valet parking on Saturday afternoon was a bit of a delay but nothing out of the ordinary for a large downtown hotel. Yes, it does cost $28 a night but as long as you are expecting it, no big deal. Check in line was long- we there right at the start of 3PM check in- but the front desk clerks were pleasant and efficient so we moved along quickly.

The clerk put us in 1513, two double beds, high floor, away from elevators, city view- yea!The room was not huge but plenty big and the beds were very comfortable. Yes, bathroom is a little dated but clean, nice vanity and a good rain shower head. In room double cup coffee maker and refrigerator, DVD player (although non-techie sister had to figure out the wires when it didn't work for home movies DVD), iron and blow dryer in nice walk in closet, plenty of plug ins for phone chargers. I see what folks mean about having to order ice from room service but I kind of like not having to hear an ice maker all night or people roaming the hallways in search of an ice machine/vending room. I thought the carpets and furniture were just fine.

The public areas are some of the best in Dallas with so many historical and architectural details. We ate in two of the three restaurants, the Rodeo Bar and Grill and the Bistro. Both were quite good, reasonably priced with attentive service. We were pleased with the pleasant and professional valet and desk staff. Yes, valet service took about 15 minutes getting the car but, again, if you are expecting that, it was no big deal.

For the price, location, pleasant and helpful staff, I would certainly recommend the Adolphus.
I know the hotel has a planned renovation in 2014 and I am sure everyone, staff and guests alike, looks forward to upgrades, particularly technical ones. I plan to be back.

Three minor points that we didn't even remember to mention when we saw housekeepers- only one washcloth the first day, only one water glass both days and no coffee cup replacements second day.

Room Tip: I always try for a high room away from elevators. Be sure to ask for city view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fair and balanced review. You make some excellent points, and we appreciate your taking the time to list them in such a kind and gracious way.

We look forward to your return.

With kindest regards,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently held a conference at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas. The food, staff and accommodations were great! Loved the food and high tea. The staff was exceptional, and the rooms comfortable. A nice property to work with.

I know the hotel ill be undergoing a soft renovation, so that will make this property exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your praise for our staff, accommodations and food. You are most kind.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope you will come back, again.

Warm regards,

Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Big gap between the photos/description and the reality. I was expecting a fine, elegant hotel. And there is some remnant of the hotel's earlier glory: the lobby, with its polished wood, subdued color tones, and fine tapestries met my expectations.

And we were grateful for the upgrade to a very spacious room.

But the decor of the rooms is dated, and not in a good way. Rather, in a drab, somewhat sad and somber way.

The Bistro was right out of a 3-star property, with a combination of bright colors and accents more evocative of a family resort near the beach, than of a grande dame hotel.

The bar and grille was atmospheric, but in a way not quite fitting a five-star property. It was more like a neighborhood joint where you might run in to the likes of Roseanne and Dan. And I'd be happy to hang out with them; I just wouldn't expect that scene at a property that purports to be on par with the Four Seasons.

As a result, the discount package we got didn't feel like a deal. In fact, it felt like I overpaid.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your compliments and your constructive criticism. It is important to receive this feedback to help guide our constant improvements.

Please accept our apology for what you felt were disappointments.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very pretty lobby and events area down stairs, decor on the room floors not as impressive. Room was large with a big closet and beds were comfortable enough. Seems like the place could use a serious deep cleaning and refurbishing. Lighting in the bathroom was incredibly dim but there's a wall mounted phone...shower rod was rusted and dirty, ceiling had cracks that had been painted over. Some of the towels were stained. Yes, it's a historic hotel but I've stayed in several historic hotels that still felt very clean and current. We booked room at a discounted rate, would have been very disappointed if paid full price + the $ 28 for valet.

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your letting us know about the disappointing aspects of your stay. What you describe is not acceptable, and our management will be addressing what happened, rest assured.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we had to wait 10 min for someone to valet our car, and we were the only car. The staff all acted mad. Our room was dirty. There was left over soap left in the shower from previous guests. Two light bulbs were burnt out and when the air conditioner came on or went off it sounded like a machine gun going off! It literally woke me up every 20 minutes during the night. They also LOST MY HUSBANDS TUXEDO that had been delivered the previous day. Thankfully we were able to rent one. After we complained about the problems they offered to give us free parking for a day. After spending $600, $28 off is more like an insult than a comprise. Don't stay at Adolphus!!! Our friends stayed at Hyatt and it is beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Our senior management is looking into the problems you experienced and will be following up on each one.

Thank you for letting us know. Please accept our apologies for your poor experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

An historic hotel with lackluster service. Housekeeping inconsistent then very slow to address problems. Incorrect billing but didn't find out until I got home as they could not run my bill upon checkout due to some technical issue. Building needs some repairs. Certainly did not meet expectations.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Kind regards,

Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

read a few bad reviews about this hotel but having stayed for 3 nights i found the place to be excellent.
lobby is really worth visiting even if your not staying.
room clean olde world style that i had no problem with.

no vending machines on the floor but not the biggest issue i have ever had as it does not fit in with the decor

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

The management and staff appreciate your kind compliments and fair review.

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor travelers.

We hope your travels will bring you back to Dallas and The Adolphus soon.

With best regards,