“Hotel with character”

Ranked #19 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
bristol
“Hotel with character”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed at the Adolphus for nearly a week in October 2013 on business, and as somebody who has stayed in hotels a fair bit while on business, I try and look out for hotels that have a bit of character - and this was a great example - it had bags of it! It also has a great location - only a few mins walk to the Convention Centre, and to the trams to get around further. On top of that - great service, lots of space, and beautifully furnished - I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind compliments and high praise. We appreciate it so much.

We hope you will return, again, soon.

Best,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed two nights mid-week in September during a family visit to Dallas. Was very excited to stay in the top historic hotel in Dallas. Check-in was efficiently handled, and luggage was brought to the room very quickly. The lobby of the hotel is sumptuous with French-empire furnishings - lots of tapestry, gilded furnishings, and rich wood. It's fun to just sit and admire the atmosphere.

Our room on the 10th floor was quite large, with windows looking out onto the street. Nicely furnished room with a large closet - plenty of hangers and space to store the empty suitcases. Everything in the room was in good working order, bed was super comfortable, linens were fine and luxurious.

Bathroom was large and well appointed, but had strange experiences with water temp - all of the water was always hot - even from the cold water taps - the water coming out of sink was hot - the water in the toilet bowl was hot - obviously some engineering problems, as this has been mentioned in other reviews - well, I guess room much hot water is better than none?

Room was well insulated from noise, never heard any noise from outside or from other rooms - slept very well.

Enjoyed a nice drink in the small bar in the lobby - slightly disappointed that you had to stand at the bar to order drinks - no table service, and the sole bar tender was a bit rushed to keep up with demand for drinks, but the ambience of the lobby made up for these niggles. Enjoyed a spectacular dinner at the French Room restaurant, and hotel guests receive a $20/person discount off of the dinner menu rate - much appreciated! The dinner was a true 'french style' dining experience, which is fast becoming a rare relic in the USA.

Also enjoyed breakfast both days in the Bistro restaurant - good services and nice traditional breakfast options. Used the on-site fitness center, which was both very clean and well-equipped.

Loved that the standard check-out was at 1:00 - allowing a more leisurely departure. Bell service was quick, courteous and efficient. Hotel staff members were all very polite and pleasant.

I would encourage anyone who enjoys historic hotel and traditional elegance to enjoy a stay at this grand Dallas institution!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jay,

Your thorough and fair review of The Adolphus is greatly appreciated. Our management and staff are delighted that they impressed you with their service and accommodations.

We all look forward to your return.

Kindest regards,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Came her for our anniversary. Had dinner at the French Room. Amazing. Great lobby ambiance. Cosmo the lobby bartender understands luxury upscale. Rooms are a disappointment. Tired... Rather than historical it seems like a discombobulated collection of hotel furniture from the 70's. would recommend, just do not expect much from the guest room. And David ( director of PR). You should be fired. You do a horrible job of responding to these reviews.

• Stayed November 2013
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments about The French Room and our Lobby Living Room.

Cosmo is grateful for your kind words and sends you his regards.

Cordially,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas 10/20 - 10/22 for business. It's a very classic hotel with big, open common spaces. The rooms are quite large. I stayed in the Jr. Suite which included a separate sitting area, a dining table complete with chandelier and a wet bar with a refrigerator. I cannot say enough about the beds. It was like being at home. They were amazingly comfortable. The temperature in the room was just right and the noise level was excellent. I slept peacefully both nights. The bathroom was spacious and a plus for me was the heated light which made it very comfortable after getting out of the shower. There were only two downsides to the room. 1) the first morning there was no hot water which made for a very cold start of the day, however maintenance took care of it (unfortunately, it was AFTER I had already had my cold shower); 2) when they cleaned my room they left dirty glasses and styrofoam coffee cups sitting on the wet bar.

My room was located near the elevators but I couldn't hear a thing outsdie of my room.

Check in and check out was a breeze. I had a problem upon check-out b/c I couldn't find my corporate credit card. I had them charge my personal credit card and the next day I called to have the charges transferred to my corporate card. Andrea in the billing department did a wonderful job of taking care of that for me quickly and without any issues. Great customer service!

Room service was prompt and the food was average. I only ordered a turkey sandwich and some chips, so it was good enough.

The only negative thing that I can say is that the valet parking was $28/day which I thought was steep until I found out that the Magnolia next door charges about the same. So, I guess all-in-all, they are on par with the other hotels downtown that charge outrageous prices for valet.

I would visit again due to the location, great customer service and easy access to my event.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your kind compliments and high praise are greatly appreciated. Our staff is delighted that they impressed you.

We hope you will stay with us, again, when your travels bring you back to Dallas.

Thank you!

With kindest regards,

Norman oklahoms
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel service was great... They helped in every way we asked especially the head man outside. Having said that... They refused to give us a drink at the Lobby bar and sent us downstairs...we did not care for the bar downstairs so came back up and they had served two customers and said they were closed. I don't get it. I believe the bar should have at least been open until 10:00. The rooms were big and we liked that...the price was right. If you don't mind the prices the French room is out of this world. I would stay there again but they need to update their bar hours and bar staff.

• Stayed October 2013
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments about the hotel and The French Room.

We are most grateful for the praise.

Cordially,

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stopped in the hotel lobby to make dinner reservation and decide to have a drink at the small hotel bar in the lobby. Nice afternoon break and good people watching stop, The lobby was like eye candy - great art and interesting furnishings.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments and recommendation.

Best regards,

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had the crazy experience to have two weddings in two states in two days, and as a result, we were lucky enough to stay in two historic hotels (each for three night stays). It was a stark comparison, as one (Le Parker Meridien, a 60's style hotel in Palm Springs) did historic incredibly well, the other, the Adolphus failed miserably, relegating itself to "dated" and "dusty" rather than "gorgeous" and "exciting.'

I'm actually sitting in the second of the rooms, the Adolphus, and typing this review from my laptop, which is running on $10.95 per night internet. My boyfriend and I, who are sharing this room, stay in at least three hotels per month for work, and I haven't paid extra for internet in years.What's worse is that they don't warn you that the cost is only for ONE device (seriously, you have information about how to FAX in your room, and make COLLECT CALLS, but not how to access the internet and what to expect when you do). That means that my boyfriend and I, who are staying here to work for a couple of days after the wedding, are now spending an extra $60 for internet on top of the room cost - and that doesn't even allow us to access our tablets.

That experience, while annoying, is a symptom of a larger problem at this hotel. Yes, the lobby is gorgeous, but the valet is slow and inefficient (we went and hailed our own cab because walking up to a group of four valets talking to each other and ignoring customers is not ideal), and the front desk people are clearly used to getting a lot of complaints because all they do when you call to complain about something is say, "I'm sorry" and hang up the phone, rather than looking for a way to make it right.

The furniture is fine in our small room, which faces a brick wall (imagine opening a curtain to see a cemented-over window), and the bed is comfortable. The bathroom is bad, though, with a 70's-style brown toilet with a huge crack in the toilet seat and rust around the handle. The weird closets are noisy and difficult to maneuver, which, when your room is adjacent to others, you get the express joy of hearing all night and morning. The carpet is musty, and the walls have a lot of scuffs and dirt in the places that clearly don't get cleaned daily.

The hallways are dated, boring and gross - every time we arrive on the 21st floor, we look for the Chinese food that is the only reasonable explanation for why the hallway smells so awful. There is absolutely no charm, no art on the walls, no signage helping people find their rooms, and everything is taupe.

My boyfriend and I were so excited to stay here. As former Dallas residents, we'd always wanted to experience this landmark. Plus, we love history and old hotels (stayed at the Hotel San Carlos in Phoenix last year, another downtown, haunted hotel with a 100 year history and were totally floored, despite small, older rooms because again, they were done right).

But, perhaps as a result of seeing how historic can be done beautifully, we were just so, so disappointed. The Adolphus would be smart to bring in a consultant to help you take advantage of the history while updating your service levels and standard amenity/comfort levels to 2013, and fast. Newer rooms in downtown with actual charm are going to surpass you and you'll have to keep offering those discounted stays on Groupon I always saw when I lived here. I'll share a secret - you have to spend a little to get the type of higher end room prices this hotel SHOULD be worthy of.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa_G84
Dear Melissa,

You have given the management a lot to ponder.

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Kind regards,