“A step back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Houston, Texas
“A step back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Adolphus is a tribute to the past. Grand old hotels share a unique ambience, not to be compared with modern accommodations. The Adolphus rich past piqued my interest to know more about its history. An available historical book is desired. Refurbishment is ongoing. We found your hotel charming would love to return to our Executive Suite.

Room Tip: Enjoy the timeless past.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

How kind of you to pay tribute to The Adolphus in this gracious way. Your insight will help other travelers understand the value and charm the hotel represents.

We look forward to your return.

Thank you!

Warmest regards,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Spent one night at the Adolphus for a business trip in mid June. The hotel has a rich history, great location, and amazing architecture you just don't see anymore. The hotel also boasts one of the greatest restaurants in Texas, the French Room. Unfortunately I did not have time to sit and dine at the French room, I did grab a late night meal at the grill & bar downstairs, I believe it was called the Rodeo bar. I wasn't expecting much, took a seat at the bar and ordered a plate of bbq pork ribs. The rib portions were large and delicious.

Now for the room. I had a room on the fifth floor, which was close to the elevator banks. Had I known I would have asked for something away from the elevators, but to be honest I didn't really hear them (and I'm a light sleeper). The room itself was very spacious, which made the queen size bed look like a twin. The linens were clean and comfortable, which is a plus. The con was that the room was so dated I felt as though I was stepping into my grandmother's house (except her house is always spotless). True that is part of the hotel's decor and charm, but the rooms really needed a good scrubbing. While everything was generally clean, the floors were absolutely disgusting. I walked barefoot after getting out of the shower and I felt my feet stick to carpet. It was as if they had not been cleaned or replaced since the building was erected in 1912!

There was a nice large table to work, but when I went to plug in my computer and telephone charger, there was no power outlet anywhere in sight. In fact they were in very inconvenient locations. I would go for the restaurant bar and have a cocktail in the lobby, but would probably spent my money on a different hotel for overnight stay. I cannot comment on the price of the rooms since I got a business discount through my client.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your staying with us and sharing your thoughts. It is very important for us to know where we fell short of the mark.

Thank you.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

As a native Dallasite I'd heard about the Adolphus for years as a child, but only had one opportunity to visit: a special dinner at the French Room that I was unfortunately too young to remember. As fate would have it, I ended up staying there quite unexpectedly on a recent trip to Big D. I had wanted to come in on a Wednesday night for a conference starting mid-morning Thursday, but for some reason -- maybe because it was Market Week at the WTC? -- I couldn't find a reasonably priced room *anywhere* short of Plano or Arlington! Then, at about 5pm Wednesday, I checked my Expedia app on my phone, and to my shock, the Adolphus -- which had previously listed rooms for that night at over $250 -- was running a last-minute "mobile-only" deal of $93/night! I snatched it up immediately, went straight home to pack, and drove up from Austin.

I'll preface my review by saying that I've stayed, in my adult years, at the majority of the better hotels in Dallas, including every four-star-and-up in TripAdvisor's top-10 list for the city (except the Joule). Growing up the Adolphus was one of *the* hotels to stay, along with the Mansion (eons before it became the "Rosewood Mansion") and Fairmont. Today ... well, I'll be blunt: aside from the still awe-inspiring lobby, which remains unparalleled in Dallas, the Adolphus has since been eclipsed by newer upstarts. I wish I could blame the location -- downtown Dallas has certainly seen better days -- but the Adolphus is in the nicest four-square-block area of it, along with the Joule, the Magnolia and, of course, the flagship Neiman's. No, the problem is that the hotel's quirks seem to take a turn into the bizarre.

Take, for instance, its modern add-on: it's a bland, utterly featureless wart on the hotel that should have been demolished eons ago. It shares no exterior symmetry with the original building's stunning Beaux-Arts facade, and looks like it belongs in an office park in Frisco. Then there's the matter of the rooms: on the plus side, they've apparently been progressively updated over the years, with modern (and very comfortable) mattresses, a 42" flatscreen TV, and attractive draperies and furnishings. My room's layout, however, is where the bizarre part began: although as a whole the room was huge -- easily 500 sq ft -- its middle third was consumed by the most utterly pointless walk-in closet I've ever seen! It was literally larger than the *bathroom*, for Pete's sake, and also literally large enough to house DOUBLE my entire wardrobe! That would be a wonderful feature if it was an apartment building, but in a hotel? Seriously? Why on earth didn't the architects or interior designers use that space to create a junior suite instead? (Its walls are not load-bearing and could easily be removed.)

Then there's the bathroom. On the one hand, it was made largely of timeless and quite beautiful marble. On the other hand, the marble has apparently been there as long as the bathtub and toilet, which judging from their dark-beige color and lack of modern water-efficiency standards I'd say date back to the early '80s (which IIRC is when the hotel received its last major renovation). While I do not get the comments from others below about "cold water being hot" -- I can only assume they don't live in Texas and are unfamiliar with how our municipal water systems work in the summertime -- I do think comprehensive bathroom revamps are well overdue.

Finally, even though I don't drink and never consume anything from hotel minibars, I take strong issue with the fact that so many hotels are removing them. To me that's the sign of a four-, not a five-star, hotel, and unfortunately the Adolphus has removed its own, along with the major business-oriented chain hotels like the Omni and Hyatt Regency nearby. More curiously, there's a sign stating that "your room is equipped with a refrigerator we would be happy to stock" ... but there's no fridge at all! Just an empty space where one used to be.

Sadly, I must give the Adolphus a mere three stars -- though on the basis of the rate I paid it's certainly a five-star! Still, I know few people staying there (or reading this review) can get rates that low, so I have to use its usual rates for comparison's sake. And compared with the Mansion -- still the best hotel in Dallas, and one of the best in the nation -- as well as the newer Ritz-Carlton, Palomar, Crescent Court and even the W, it simply doesn't hold up.

I sincerely hope a Taj or a Rosewood or another hospitality company in the business of restoring flawed gems steps up to resurrect the Adolphus to its former unparalleled glory.

Room Tip: I'd request a high floor towards the end of a hallway to avoid hall noise, and also to avoid str...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback. It is invaluable in enhancing the guest experience.

Kind regards,

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Staff was very nice and check-in and check-out was easy and pleasant. The bathrooms are old and there was no cold water in the shower or the sink. You could even feel the heat coming off the water in the toilet. I told them at the front desk when I checked out and he made a note of it but that was it. I had read that someone else had the same issue previously but apparently they haven't done anything to fix it. Also, when you run the water, you can hear the pipes banging around. The other thing I didn't like is that the noise from the hallway was very loud. When a group next to me came in at 2:00 in the morning, it sounded like they were in my room and I could hear everything, including slamming doors. Overall, I didn't really like it but I was traveling for work so it wasn't that big of a deal.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Jack,

Thank you for your comments and compliments. Our staff appreciates the kind words.

The feedback you provided will help us pinpoint areas we need to address. Rest assured, our senior management team will follow up on your complaints and take immediate action to ensure the comfort of our guests.

McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Last summer my son's wedding weekend was spent at the Adolfus. What a great weekend! The rooms were fabulous -- so spacious and well-appointed. The location was perfect - we hosted the rehearsal dinner right around the corner at the Iron Cactus. The wedding reception was at the Hall of State at Fair Park, and it was an easy 10-minute ride back to the hotel.

We've lived in Dallas for twenty years, and other than a quick walk through the lobby, had not been to the Adolfus. I'm so glad we were able to spend such an important weekend in the life of our family there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

How kind of you to remember us!

Thank you for sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor travelers. I know they appreciate your recommendation.

We hope you return soon to relive your happy memories of The Adolphus.

Best,

Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my first stay at the Adolphus. We were attending a wedding in downtown Dallas so the location was excellent. The room was beautiful. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had two issues, the first was minor: our room phone was cordless and dead as could be. We had to use our cell phones to call within the hotel. And while my experience wasn't quite as bad as DaveRTL's, there is a problem with water temperature in the rooms. We wanted to chill a bottle of wine, and after finding there are no ice machines on the floors we had it delivered by room service. (Ice is free but you feel obligated to tip, so more $$$). Wanted to add some water to the ice bucket to speed the chill, but the "cold" water was so warm it melted the ice. Front desk sent maintenance up to the room, and they measured the cold water temp @ 83.5 degrees, which met their standards. Not a huge problem, but you would hope such a lovely hotel could provide cold water. Slept great, no problem with the shower temp. Did not eat from room service. Front desk removed the cost of our valet parking ($28) to compensate for the issues we had. Overall a positive experience, and we would return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your recommending The Adolphus, in spite of our flaws.

Our engineering staff are diligently working on reducing the water temperature. The water comes from a city water source, and, as you can imagine, it is a challenge to keep it cool in the hot Texas summers.

Thank you for tipping the wait staff for delivering the ice. It is certainly not required, but we are grateful for your generosity.

All of us look forward to your return.

Warmest regards,

Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel and it is a perfect location for my travel needs. I stay there often but am thinking of moving on because the room service food borders on inedible. Very limited menu. The food is similar to what is served in the Rodeo Bar downstairs. The limited choices wouldn't bother me if what they had was decent. When traveling for business I sometimes want dinner in the room. At my last visit, playing it safe, I ordered a burger. It was like eating a dry hockey puck. Similar experience to the other times I ordered in room dining here

There is no place to fill an ice bucket unless you call room service. I can see not having an ice machine on every floor but there should be a few scattered around.

I would agree with several other reviewers in that the water just does not get cold enough in the bathroom (hence why it would be nice to have a place to get ice to put in a glass of water).

I understand this is an old hotel and can overlook things they might not be able to control like the water temperatures but the food quality and other issues within their control should be addressed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments and your insight.

We appreciate knowing where we fell short of the mark. You can be sure that these issues will be addressed, posthaste. They are all within our control, and we apologize that we disappointed you.

Our management and staff hope you will give us another chance to shine.