“I can now say I stayed there, but probably not again!”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Denton
“I can now say I stayed there, but probably not again!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Have to say that the Lobby, The French Room, Walt Garrisons restaurant and the service was good! The rooms were clean, but an old place that they have tried to make newer - but it just did not work. The beds were uncomfortable - I kept rolling into the low spot, the pillows were just weird, the towels had holes in them and were rough and no wash clothes, the old cloth chair was stained, big stain in carpet, the toilet and tub were beige, the vanity in the bathroom was stone, but iron base that needed some cleaning. You have to call guest services for complementary ice and then you have to tip them. Parking was $ 28. Saw a wedding there and it looked beautiful, but I would stay somewhere better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments and your constructive criticism. Both are much appreciated.

Very sincerely,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
Garland, Texas
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

This was my husband and I's 3rd time to stay at the Adolphus. The hotel was great on our first stay but continues to decline. We only stayed there this last time because I got a $79 rate on an on-line deal and it was a last minute reservation. We arrived shortly after midnight to find no one at the front desk or at the valet. By the time someone showed up there was a line of 6 cars stacked into the street. We went up to our room to find no refrigerator. It was missing from the room despite the fact that they had given us a key for a "refreshment center". We ordered ice to keep our drinks cold. After more than an hour the ice arrived. It was almost 2 am by now.

The rooms are aging. There was no drain in our sink or filter on the faucet so it splattered everywhere. We awoke in the morning to find that the large coated cardboard carton that they brought our ice in doesn't hold water so all of our things sitting within a 3 foot radius of the bucket were soaked including our toiletry bag and all of our cash.

We were able to iron our cash to dry it but when I went to get the blow dryer out to dry my hair it was completely covered in a thick sticky substance with hair and trash stuck all over it. At this point I didn't have time to wait an hour for another blow dryer so I had to leave with wet hair. Even for the great rate and excellent location we won't stay there again.

Note: They did offer us complimentary breakfast for our troubles but we could not take advantage of it because of our schedule. They were still however very happy to collect another $22 for our valet service.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank TravelDreamer1992
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies for your disappointing stay. You have provided us with invaluable feedback.

We hope to one day regain your confidence and trust.

Thank you.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Well, it was a good hotel! A gentle touch of what things use to be before! I liked it a lot. I went there with a car, not such a good idea because you get treated so bad by the staff, a thing changes once you are in the hotel! But that is a problem everywhere with luxury hotels! Overall a recommend!!!

• Stayed May 2013
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your recommending The Adolphus.

Thank you!

With kindest regards,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The excellent service at the Adolphus Hotel started at the curb when we drove up and it did not stop there. This historical hotel has a style of European elegance and offers an interesting display of the history of Dallas. Our room was large and beautifully decorated with every amenity needed. It had plush comfy beds and a walk in closet. We had a delicious breakfast in The Bistro and service was very quick.

The lobby and public areas need some freshening, because the air was a bit stale, but the rooms had plenty of fresh air and a great view of Dallas. Love this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the courtyard across the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Your compliments and kind words make our day.

We look forward to your next stay.

Thank you for the love!

Warmest regards,

Nevada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My family and I are are suckers for historic hotels and this one lives up to its reputation. Beautiful hotel however military discount seekers please be aware it does not offer a discounted rate unless here on government business. I booked this hotel as part of a family vacation to celebrate my return from a tour of Afghanistan, the best they could offer was the AAA rate, a little disappointing that a motoring organisation gets a better rate than than that of an active serviceman. We intended to stay for three nights but decided to change hotels after one evening due to the hotel policy. I suggest the hotel reviews it's policy to reflect the many websites which advertise the fact that it is US serviceman friendly. That being said it is a very fine hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I think there is a misunderstanding about our military discount. It is the same for every member of the armed services and is identical to every other hotel in Dallas. Your review must have been posted before our management addressed this, to your satisfaction.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Not really sure how to rate this hotel. The lobby bar and restaurants were very nice and welcoming. The room itself was quite roomy but a few things need to be done for a better room experience. Lamp shades were falling off, closet door came off the rail and the faucets were switched .....hot was cold...cold was hot! Lighting in bathroom was poor and the closet was located in the bathroom. Otherwise the hotel experience was fine. What do you want from an old hotel!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your feedback is very important, and our management immediately addressed the areas you mentioned. They will also be using your comments to help guide their refurbishments in the future.

Very sincerely,

Belchertown, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the Adolphus for three nights while attending a conference. My initial booking was through Travelocity, and I chose the Adolphus mainly because of its proximity to the convention center and some of the better restaurants in the city. However, as has happened to me on many occasions my expectations were low since I've always had a sneaking suspicion that hotels stick us Travelocity-Deal-Package users in the worst rooms.

My God... What a ridiculous stay I had.

Check in was simple, and just a quick escalator ride up to the main lobby floor took my breath away. You might literally think you are in a fine arts museum. Antique Pianos, Incredible paintings, Tapestries, Chandeliers... just gorgeous. The elevators come in a couple of funky varieties of sizes - but it just added to the charm.

My room was breathtaking. Either I got very very lucky or this hotel should be the only choice you consider in Dallas. My "room" consisted of a large bedroom complete with a king-sized canopy bed, desk, modern big screen TV, antique nightstands on both sides of the bed, and a bathroom with double sink, bathtub and separate shower.

That would have been fine - actually it would have surpassed my expectation. But that wasn't all. From a small hallway from the bedroom was a small kitchen area, a dining area with an elegant table and six chairs, a living room with two large couches, two chairs, and another desk, and a second full bathroom. Now it had completely blown me away - a total "pinch myself" moment.

But THAT wasn't all either. pulling the curtain aside to check my view, I found a private balcony overlooking Commerce Street. Just a beautiful city view. The balcony wasn't one of those tiny why-bother balconies either. I'd guess the dimensions at 20x20, and there was a full table set and chaise.

My problem wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I was nervous that I wouldn't have anywhere to put my suitcase, and I ended up with the dilemma of where in my "room" that I wanted to spend my time!

We didn't eat at the famed French Room, although the prices didn't give me the sticker shock I feared - just too many places to eat and not enough time. But we did eat and drink at small bar in the lobby. Our bartender, Berto, was gracious and engaging and knew enough about the history of the building and art pieces to enhance the experience greatly.

We also had a few stop-in meals at the western-themed saloon (forgive me for not remembering the name, I'm sure it's not hard to find), and we enjoyed that as well. Our 'tender at that bar, Lexi, was attentive and friendly - and pointed us to our two favorite meals of the entire trip.

Just outstanding. Trying to figure out where to stay? Do yourself a favor and park it right here. Service. Location. Comfort. Convenience (special "shout out" to Dave the house driver). The Adolphus has it all. I've never had trouble saying goodbye to a hotel until this trip. I won't stay anywhere else in Dallas!!

Room Tip: I didn't ask for one so just got lucky - but if you can get a suite, do yourself a favor and do...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mark,

Thank you for your very kind review. It is a great pleasure to WOW our guests, as you experienced firsthand.

We appreciate your thorough descriptions - and your graciousness.

Reviews like yours truly make what we do worthwhile.

Thank you, again.