“WOW! Step back in time with the splendor of the Adolphus”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Southern California
“WOW! Step back in time with the splendor of the Adolphus”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was in Dallas for a conference and had booked my room at the conference hotel, but after looking around online, I was immediately wow-ed by the Adolphus. And guess what? They have special rates! Score! I was so excited to switch from the boring conference hotel to this gem!

The bottomline - yes, there are other newer, more modern hotels in downtown Dallas to pick from, BUT how do you put a price on history? This hotel still maintains most of the charm and splendor of a past era and had the WOW factor for us when we arrived. It is not high tech, new, and shiny, but it's comfortable and well maintained. It's amazing to look at the hotel and it's place in Dallas history and you definitely get a sense of that when you stay here. If you enjoy nostalgia and love to explore hidden gems, this is the hotel for you!

As noted by other travelers, this hotel is historic and with it comes good and bad points. For us, the good outweighed the bad. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. As ambassadors of the hotel, they did a great job in making us feel welcome. We had even called them days before our arrival to figure out what to do while we were in town and they were extremely helpful. Having a courtesy car to take you anywhere in the city was a godsend, especially on those cold days with the blistering winds howling through the streets... The decor in the main lobby was magnificent. It was definitely historic but overall, very well maintained and kept. We ate at the Bistro (thanks to free breakfast vouchers) and the staff was very friendly and service was quick. If you're there on a Sunday morning, definitely get the breakfast buffet!

The rooms were spacious and comfortable. Yes, the decor was a bit dated, but it was clean and well maintained. Housekeeping staff was on top of things and did a great job. Our one gripe is that the hot water would run out in the afternoon so there was no way to take a hot shower later in the day. Hot water worked splendidly in the morning though. The bidet was kind of a novelty item. I don't know anyone who uses this anymore, but it made me think back to trips to Europe. The walls are thin, so we did hear out neighbor's TV but it wasn't loud enough to disturb/disrupt our sleep. Wifi worked brilliantly in our room. As an older hotel, I was worried that there wouldn't be enough outlets for all our gadgets, but they had a six outlet adapter under the desk plus the desk had an extra 2 outlets built in. More than enough for our multitude of electronics.

The French Room was such a highlight that it deserves a review all on its own. Eating there is a MUST! They offered a special for hotel guests. Pay the extra for the souffle!

TIP: There is an Avis on the hotel premises. The valet will do an after-hours return of your vehicle for a nominal fee, which is much better than having to pay for the nightly parking rate.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor and didn't hear any noise from the roads.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your joy is contagious, and we are delighted you had a grand time.

Thank you for your comments. They are invaluable.

Best regards,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
Oakland, California
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had stayed here several times in in the 1990s & had very fond memories of the Adolphus, including a great dinner at the French Room. Sad to say, it really needs renovating. I love historic hotels & this is one of the most famous. The owners need to put money into this gem & train the staff. The lobby furniture was scuffed & the elevators were dented. Dirty hall carpets & very bright lighting. No free wi-fi in the lobby & it didn't work in my room. The room was large, but do not pay up for the "view," which was of a loft apartment building across the street. The room needs updating badly: no outlets next to the bed; banged up bath hardware which looks like it was for the 1980s (when was brushed brass popular?) & fixtures from the same era with no counter space ; the bedside lamp didn't work; and the coffee maker was cheesy, barely got the water hot & all they give you is powdered "creamer." I expect better from an iconic property like the Adolphus. Room service dishes that were in the hall when I checked in were still there when I checked out. Decent burger in the bar but there was only the bartender so service was very slow. Lunch in the restaurant was ok, nothing special. Nice server. Bottom line: there are a lot of good hotels in downtown Dallas; sadly, this is no longer one of them.

1 Thank mcoakland
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies for your disappointing stay.

You will be pleased to know that the owners will be completely renovating the hotel in 2014, in keeping with the style and original grandeur of The Adolphus. Your comments will help guide their refurbishments.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We blocked rooms at the Adolphus for our wedding, as well as, holding our rehearsal dinner in the Bistro, and it couldn't have been an easier, better process and weekend! The staff was so helpful in ensuring all of our guests were taken care of and delivering our bags and wedding needs quickly. The only less than perfect experience came with the valet line pouring out into the streets of downtown with a 20 minute wait to park our car. The men were clearly working as quickly as possible, but it took longer than usual to get our car valeted. We really enjoyed the boutique feel of the hotel because it had personality, and was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Great choice for a weekend stay or a major event!

Room Tip: Higher rooms get a better view of the downtown skyline.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Julia,

Thank you for hosting your wedding guests at The Adolphus and holding your rehearsal dinner in The Bistro. It was a joy having you with us.

We apologize for the traffic you encountered on your arrival. You are kind to be so understanding, in spite of the inconvenience.

Your recommendation is much appreciated by all of our staff.

All the best to you and your family,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the Adolphus for a mini-staycation to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. If you are lucky, you can get an incredible upgrade upon check-in for only $35 more! I would suggest requesting a high room since lower floors in a busy downtown area can be noisier. Our only negative about the room was that it had used towels crumpled up in the floor of the closet when we arrived and no bath soap. We were initially frustrated because even with a call down to the front desk, nothing was done. However, we walked down to the front desk and the manager did a wonderful job of getting it taken care of and even comped our parking. I will say that this is an absolutely lovely hotel and I can see why so many wedding receptions happen here. It feels like you have stepped back into the roaring 1920s but still with modern conveniences. I will say that parking is pretty steep at $28/night. I would suggest looking into some of the other parking garages as much more economical solutions - most of them are covered and they seemed to range about $6-8/night. We got in very late so we went ahead and valet parked, but if we go back, I would park in the parking garage behind the hotel on Jackson in the Urban Platinum Parking garage after some of the good reviews I've read on Yelp.

Room Tip: Ask about an upgrade - for only $35 more we got a spectacular upgrade!! Also, I would suggest a high...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We do offer incredible value, as you wisely point out.

Thank you for sharing your travel tips, too. For those without a car, we have a complimentary sedan service that covers a three-mile radius of the hotel. This will save on cab fare.

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in many, many nice hotels but this was a true experience. From the moment we walked in, I felt relaxed. The light, the warm environment all contributed to an awesome experience. We were exhausted when we arrived so we ordered room service. The service was great as was the food. I loved the salmon. Each time we encountered an employee, they went out of their way to welcome us and make sure our stay was perfect. When we left, we asked for directions to our next place and we were so impressed with the ease the directions were given to us and how easy it was to follow them. I love when employees are competent and confident! In the lobby is a huge board that has a list of all of the current flight connections. Loved this! Highly recommend and can't wait to go back!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Msroberts3rd
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Our staff works night and day to create truly memorable experiences that delight and enchant. Thank you for letting us know they exceeded your expectations.

It is wonderful to know, too, that we compare favorably with the other luxury hotels you have visited.

Everyone at The Adolphus sends you warm regards. We hope you will return often to relive your happy memories.

Cordially,

Maine
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have said repeatedly in my reviews that I will never understand why the cheapest hotel chains are able to offer travelers free wifi or Internet connections, while luxury hotels, which pride themselves on amenities, continue to gouge their travelers with double-digit per day wi-fi fees. Internet access is a necessity to any traveler, and the Adolphus has turned this necessity to its advantage to practically extort these fees from its customers. The $10.95 per 24-hour wifi fee here is PER DEVICE. My spouse and I both needed to check work emails and that couldn't be done unless we both paid the fee. Want to use an iPad, too? Bang, another $10.95. Needless to say, we did not pay and endured this extreme inconvenience on principle. It's insulting. I've never encountered a PER DEVICE fee before this. If this is a trend, it's disturbing. If this is the Adolphus's own idea on how to treat guests, it's despicable. If I wanted this kind of indifference and poor treatment, I'd sleep on an airplane.
Now, to other aspects of the Adophus experience -- If you live your life without being plugged in, then here is what you'll enjoy about the Adolphus:
It's a grand old hotel, with interesting architecture, a spectacularly beautiful old world lobby, and rooms that allow you the space to spread out and relax.
The staff are polite, pleasant, and extremely eager to help.
It's not cookie-cutter.
The hotel has been refurbished nicely...but here's what you may find disappointing:
The rooms are dark. There are no overhead lights and not enough lamps. (The bathroom lighting is so dark, you may actually have a hard time seeing to shave or put on makeup.)
The cover on the our ironing board was dirty (and crumpled).
The duvet on the bed was stained.(It was covered w/ two sheets, but as they fell away, I noticed the stain.)
By 3p of our first full day there, housekeeping hadn't shown up. After a busy morning and afternoon, we wanted a nap, so put out the Do Not Disturb sign. So, no housekeeping that day.
There are no ice machines on any floor, you have to call for room service.
There aren't enough outlets to charge the multiple electronic devices most people travel with these days. (Of course, you won't be able to access the Internet with them unless you pay through the nose, so maybe that's the strategy.)
And a special note here: I try very hard to deliver objective reviews that will be helpful to fellow travelers. I try to maintain that combination of illumination, discovery, and warnings that I also find helpful in other reviews. So, I acknowledge that the whole wi-fi issue here has left this reviewer with a very unfavorable view. I don't see this raised as an issue by other reviewers.
So, weigh my review with others, and make your choice accordingly.
Would I ever stay here again? Sad to say, most assuredly, no.

2 Thank Mainetrippin
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments about our staff. They appreciate the kind words.

One guest room does not a hotel make. Every hotel has rooms that are dark, owing to the placement of surrounding buildings. We do our best to match people's taste to our accommodations. Sometimes we miss the mark.

There is no excuse for poor housekeeping. Period. Please know that we are vigorously addressing this, to keep such service lapses from happening - rare as they may be.

The reason that luxury hotels must charge for Wi-Fi is because unlike economy hotels, luxury hotels have extremely high overhead. A cookie-cutter hotel, with limited services and run-of-the-mill decor, requires far less maintenance and attention to detail. They can easily afford to include Wi-Fi in their rates. Your point about airlines is closer to the truth than you think. There is a reason why airlines have declared bankruptcy, over and over, again. Their business model and pricing are, to a large degree, not sustainable. Hotels have to cover their costs or face the same consequences.

At the present time, our technology is not able to provide umbrella pricing for all devices used in one guest room. Our hope is to devise a solution soon.

We are grateful for your feedback and your business.

Very sincerely,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Strongly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Dallas.
I was impressed by the friendly service and comfortable accomodations I received throughout my four day stay in this stately hotel (which probably looks as good today as when it first opened). Unlike most new hotels which provide its guests small living spaces, I was pleasantly surprised by the oversized accommodations.

Location is close to restaurants, historical district and accessible to public transportation.

This four star hotel provides good value, and is my choice of where to stay in Dallas for my next visit.

Dear Ian,

We appreciate your high praise and kind compliments.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with other travelers.

Warm regards,