“Tired, faded, uninspiring.”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent a night here and wont be returning. The staff are nice and friendly but the decor is old frumpy and worn. I get its a grand dame from days of yor, but it doesnt have to look like it. When we booked, wifi was at least free in the common areas, but when we went down to use it and couldnt, we were told the hotel was bought 2 weeks ago and the first thing the new owners did was to discontinue free wifi. When you are staying for less than 24 hours, a $10 charge is a bit much. How hard and costly is it anyway to offer this sign of the times perk? Sure hope the new owners can brighten this thing up and bit and bring it out of the dark ages into a more vibrant and current experience. Too many other options in the area offering more to return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments about our staff. They deserve high praise, to be sure.

Cordially,

David

Write a ReviewReviews (2,672)

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I came to Dallas for a conference and enjoyed staying in the Adolphus. While the Historic District may be aptly named, I felt that Dallas itself was not half as charming as the hotel, and if it weren't for the proximity of the Convention Center and the Dallas Art Museum, I may have been in any large impersonal city. The hotel was lovely, with huge lobby and sitting area replete with piano bar in the early evening and a nice bar for Happy Hour. The room I had was huge, and with the two beds, perfect for having my daughter join me for the four days I was in town. WIth the exception of not having a water kettle in my room, I found it a good experience all in all.

Room Tip: I really can't say, but I asked for a quiet room on the upper floors and felt as though I had an...
1  Thank worldtravelertrainer

Dear Guest,

As a Top Contributor on TripAdvisor, you have the experience and expertise to judge a hotel fairly. Your opinion carries great weight among travelers worldwide.

We are honored that you have high praise for The Adolphus. Our staff is delighted that they made you feel welcome - and that their outstanding service reflected favorably on the city.

You are most gracious and kind.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

From the moment my colleague and I checked into the hotel to the moment of departure, the staff was very professional, polite, and courteous. The hotel has a welcoming ambiance from the lobby to the reservation desk to the dining halls. Our room was clean and spacious. We were thrilled to see that there were two wash basins in the bathroom. The room was maintained daily. What especially impressed us was the hotel car/shuttle! The driver accommodated us in a timely and friendly manner. We did not have to deal with taxis or buses! Since this was our first trip to Dallas and we participated in a fast-paced conference, it was a pleasure to come back to the hotel and feel relaxed. Thank you and keep up the great work!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Adolphus. It is always a joy to welcome guests who have an appreciation for all that we stand for and provide the weary traveler.

Your positive attitude and generosity of spirit obviously draw the best to you.

The complimentary sedan service we offer does rank high on everyone's list of favorite amenities.

Our staff thoroughly enjoyed your visit and look forward to your return.

Mahalo,

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Parts of this hotel were really lovely - especially the foyer/lounge area which was very pretty in an Art Nouveau style but parts of it look very faded and past it's best.

The swirly patterned carpets in the hallways leading to the bedrooms put me in mind of cheap Vegas Hotels - they smelt about the same too.

The bedroom was ok - neither really good nor bad but it was spacious. The bathroom was tiled in marble which was nice but spoilt by the avocado green bath and toilet.

We had to wait ages to be seated for breakfast and the staff were pretty indifferent. We didn't bother to eat at the hotel before. The Rodeo bar didn't seem to really fit with the hotel but the bar staff were very friendly.

I'm sure that I would stay here again. The downtown area is pretty dead. If you needed to be at the convention centre then it's probably a good location but other than that there are probably nicer hotels to stay in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

In answer to your headline query, no.

The best is yet to come, with major renovations and refurbishments that will enhance the hotel's grandeur and prestige.

Thank you for staying with us.

Cordially,

Reviewed March 28, 2013

With classic elegance this hotel was a delight to stay in. The reviews I've read are critical of some of the extra charges, but they are typical of a hotel of this caliber. This is not a budget hotel offering free wifi, parking and breakfast. Don't expect it. Hotels at this level simply offer these amenities. If you want them, you just have to pay for them.

That being said, the history of this place dates back to 1912 so the lobby areas and rooms are very large. They have done a remarkable job of keeping the hotel nicely renovated. The lobby has a level of sophistication you don't see in most hotels anymore. The room I stayed in was very nice and clean with a sitting area and two queen beds. The bathroom had nice decor and fixtures.

The service was outstanding. All attendants were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant served a nice breakfast. Overall, it was a delight to stay in such a historic hotel.

Dear Guest,

Your appreciation for The Adolphus and its attributes is beautifully expressed.

Thank you for outlining how budget hotels and luxury hotels differ.

We are grateful, too, for your high praise for our guest rooms, decor, and services. As a senior contributor to TripAdvisor, you have the experience and expertise to judge a hotel fairly.

All of us at The Adolphus wish you happy travels.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Adolphus is a classic grand dame and great place to stay. The rooms are huge and the service good. I stayed there several days and only had 2 complaints. First, they still charge for wifi internet access. Who still charges for internet access? Also, I like a hotel that offers free coffee in the morning in the lobby. The Adolphus does not. Other than these two issues, this is a nice hotel at which to stay in downtown Dallas.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your compliments and kind words. We appreciate your endorsement.

The feedback is invaluable and helps guide our amenities decisions.

We look forward to your return.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I came down to Dallas for the Rock n' Roll Half Marathon. The location was great because it was only half mile from the start and the convention center. The hotel is BEAUTIFUL!! The rooms were very nice and spacious. I absolutely loved the pillows and wish we would've stayed longer so I could've used them more. It was super quiet in the evenings, which for us racing the next morning was very important. I loved the valet, it was a little expensive to park the car, but it was for the whole day. I was pleasantly surprised with our bill, but we also got a discounted rate because of the race. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Kasey,

Your beautiful review of The Adolphus made us all smile. It is a joy to know that we pleased you and your husband at every turn - and won the race.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with other travelers. We are most grateful.

Our staff looks forward to your return.