“Lovely old world hotel providing comfort and hospitality”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Dallas, Texas
“Lovely old world hotel providing comfort and hospitality”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here two nights for leisure and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was spacious and sunny and the bed was comfy and the sitting area was nice to have too. The only possible critique of the room I might have is that the rugs seemed like it was time to replace them- they're getting shabby.

The hotel doorman (the guy who greets you on arrival) was helpful and immediately jumped to open my door and help with baggage with a smile. Also the hotel car service (yes, the hotel has a PRIVATE CAR/driver which you can use!) was just WONDERFUL. Such a nice touch. The driver, Dave, was so very nice. He alone is almost enough reason to stay there. I didn't realize that they had this perk when I reserved, I found out when I went down looking for a taxi and the doorman offered me the car. Nice touch!

Check-in was seamless, even though we arrived early and had booked through a 3rd party website and we were a bit worried, having experienced difficulties at other hotels in the past w/3rd party booking. Everyone we came in contact with was very nice, including the room service staff. We had old menus in our room and they were nice enough to take the time to go through the options on the phone. They also specifically sent someone just to replace the menu. Now, it would have been nice to actually have the RIGHT menu to begin with, but they were apologetic and send a comp salad with my meal. A kind gesture, which was appreciated.

We also were traveling with a dog and though they take a deposit and have a $50 fee if you travel with your pet, they very were dog tolerant. I'd call them 'dog friendly' if they offered our pooch any amenities (like maybe a water bowl), but we weren't offered any.

I do recommend this hotel if you like old world charm and want a friendly place right downtown with lots of places you can walk to.

Room Tip: We had a corner room facing the street, which was large and sunny.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is easy to see why you are a senior contributor on TripAdvisor. Your review was thorough; your comments astute.

We are honored that you think so highly of the hotel and welcome your return.

Dave, our chauffeur, sends you his very best regards. He enjoyed meeting you.

Thank you!

Cordially,

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
London
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Considering how plush this hotel is and the price we expected a lot more. I had booked a king room through Expedia but they put us in a double, when I called the front desk they offered to move us but by then my husband had unpacked and it was on a very low floor so we were concerned about the noise. If they had told us this at check in we would have asked them to hold our luggage until a suitable room became available as we had arrived early. They didn't make any attempt to compensate us with say reduced parking or a drinks voucher. The lobby bar prices are very high. The wine was cheaper and better in their sports bar. They offered a car service in the evening within a 3 mile radius but it stopped at 8pm. The location was good for the historic district and getting back onto the freeway but not for nightlife.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Your comments gave us pause. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Very sincerely,

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Adolphus Hotel in Dallas is like stepping back in time. A kinder, gentler time where manners counted and everyone knew your name. We had the pleasure of staying at the Adolphus during our recent visit to Dallas. Our first contact, with their reservationist Shawnta, was a good indicator of the customer service to come. She was extremely helpful and went out of her way to make us feel that we would be welcome. Once we arrived, everyone from the doorman who greeted us in the driveway to the concierge, desk staff, and parking attendants treated us like royalty.

The hotel has managed to hold on to the vestiges of another time. Elevators are old and lined in wood. Mammoth palms decorate the lobby areas. Iron grills close off the Bistro restaurant (serving breakfast and lunch) from the rest of the world.

Our room was very large and spacious with a lovely brick terrace off the bedroom area. Because it was February the weather was not really conducive to sitting outside but we were able to spend a few hours on the patio one warm afternoon. Heavenly! The seating area in our room was comfortable and roomy. The bathroom was huge, with two pedestal sinks on each side of the door.

Parking at the hotel was efficient. We were in and out a good bit and never had to wait very long for our car to be brought around. You can also call ahead from your room and ask that your car be brought to you. I believe valet parking is $26 a day, which includes in and out privileges.

As you can tell, we were wowed by our experience at the Adolphus. I hope that we get to visit them again.

Dear Dona,

How very kind of you to share your recent experience at The Adolphus. Your memories touched our hearts.

Thank you for being so generous in your praise.

Warmest regards,

Melissa, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you are into elegant things that have a good deal of history associated with them, then you really need to visit The Adolphus Hotel in downtown Dallas. The rooms are HUGE and many offer great views of the downtown area. The decor in the rooms is a little worn and dated, but it doesn't detract from the overall beauty of this gem. If you get a chance, make reservations for afternoon tea.

Room Tip: Pay the $7 upgrade charge to get a street view room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Russell,

We are delighted that your return to The Adolphus was as equally romantic and charming as your first visit.

Thank you, too, for recommending our Afternoon Tea. It provides the perfect escape from the stress of today's world.

Warmest regards,

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Adolphus is by far one of the best Hotels I have stayed at. The staff is very accommodating, friendly, and organized. I arrived at the hotel on Saturday Feb 20, around 1:00PM. I had a reservation and the hotel was sold out the previous night and the day of my arrival. I knew check in was actually at 3:00PM. It was me expectation that I was going to have to wait in the Rodeo bar for a few hours before I would be able to check in. This was not the case, the hotel staff took all of my check In information right away and stated that they would call me once my room was ready. My room was ready within ten minutes.
The room was clean, spacious, stocked with clean linens, mini bar, and toiletries. I ordered room service one afternoon and my food was delivered within 20 minutes.
If you are looking for a nice hotel with a lot of history, this is the place to stay. They have something for everyone. The Rodeo Bar is a great place for casual dining and the French Room offers five star dining. While I was in Dallas, I did visit a few other hotels where others from my group were staying. I can tell you the service at this hotel is by far the best.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ben B
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Ben,

We appreciate your kind words about your recent stay. It was a pleasure having you with us.

Thorough reviews like yours help hotels gain insight into how they are doing and where they are succeeding. Your visits to other hotels in Dallas also give other travelers an understanding of how The Adolphus compares to its peers.

Well said - and well done. Thank you!

We look forward to your return.

With kindest regards,

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I guess if you like old-school hotels, the Adolphus is the place for you, but I just didn't get the hype.

Issues:
1). No self-parking available. Parking is valet only, costs $20+ per day, and good luck getting your car out in a reasonable amount of time in the morning.
2). There are no ice machines. You have to call room service to get ice. Yeah, it's free, but the person bringing it to you will be expecting a tip.
3). Attitude. When I check in to a hotel, regardless of the price, I expect to be treated professionally. The front desk had their noses so high in the air, they were likely to drown in a rainstorm.
4). Room technology - there was a DVD player in my room, but it was not hooked up to the TV. No problem, since the cables were sitting on top of it. I hooked it up. But the power cable didn't reach the outlet. OK, no biggie, I travel with an extension cord. I turned the TV on and pressed the input select button, and there was a message on the TV that it had been disabled. So they advertise DVD players in the rooms, they supply them, but they're not hooked up? Disappointing. Also, the internet service in the hotel was bad. I ended up using AT&T's free Wi-Fi from their building across the street

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Chris,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay of a year ago. In the hotel business, a year is a lifetime. Staff changes, improvements to technology are made, continuous training addresses inefficiencies, and so on.

The Adolphus does have valet parking, as do most downtown hotels. The valet parkers do their very best to deliver the cars promptly. We receive many compliments on their hard work and eagerness to please.

Our ice deliveries are gratuity-free, since this is a complimentary service. Out of a generous spirit, some guests tip the room service waiter. But, there is no expectation on the waiter's part. The hotel already compensates them for these deliveries, knowing that this is a complimentary service.

The in-room technology should have been completely installed. As you might expect, previous guests sometimes tamper with the DVD players without our knowledge. AT&T is our Wi-Fi provider. It receives consistently excellent ratings from our guests. In fact, we have had several upgrades to this service since you stayed with us a year ago.

As you can see by the many TripAdvisor reviews, our staff are praised over and over, again, for their graciousness. If anyone was unkind to you, we sincerely apologize. Our standard is "pleasing every guest, every time." There is no place in the hospitality business for aloofness.

It is very important to notify hotels of any problems experienced immediately after a stay. As with any business, it is difficult to address mistakes made a year ago.

Again, thank you, Chris, for your feedback.

Very sincerely,

Frisco, TX
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We needed to stay downtown for a wedding and were passed the booking date. The Reservationist accomodated our stay and rate, even when they were booked up with a Realtor Convention. The staff and guests were very pleasant and accommodating. We needed quick directions to the venue of the wedding and the Concierge had the map delivered to our room within five minutes. After checking out, I found that I had left personal property in a drawer. The Security Staff, immediately located the property and had it ready for my pick up. This was truly a wonderful experience and a great place to stay.

Room Tip: The 18th floor was very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Maria,

It is a pleasure to read your kind compliments about your recent stay at The Adolphus. Our staff loves the feedback!

The hotel's central location serves guests well, and our concierge staff enjoys making everyone feel at home in Dallas/Fort Worth.

We are also glad that we reunited you with your personal property. You contacted us promptly, and it was a snap to locate it.

All of us at The Adolphus wish you the very best, Maria.

With warmest regards,