“Family Suite”

The Adolphus
Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
“Family Suite”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked the two bed suite with a kitchenette. It is a bit outdated but does have the traditional charm of an old hotel. The French Room is a beautiful restaurant. The atmosphere is wonderfully romantic and chic. The food & service was fantastic.

Room Tip: We had two large sitting areas with an eating area. Rm 427
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
San Francisco
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here Oct 25-29 (4 nights). This was my 3rd time at the hotel. The last time I stayed, it was associated with Noble Hotels. That has changed and so has the hotel, not necessarily for the better. When you first walk in to register, then take the escalator up to the lobby, you can be - well, awstruck. Possibly one of the most beautiful hotel lobbies in the country. Very elegant and old world. Now for my critique:
PROS - the staff is very nice. Front desk efficient. Concierge outstanding. Housekeeping very good. Aside from the lobby decor, the rooms are very traditional but comfortable.
CONS - they have 3 restaurants, the Rodeo, the French Room and the Bistro ( I think that is the name). The French Room is very elegant, very good food and very expensive. Prix fixe starts at $88. I have eaten there in the past but not this time. The Rodeo is on the street level and supposedly serving a western menu. I had a hamburger, which was very good and very big! However, the service was so slow that we almost gave up on it. Sorry to say, the 3rd restaurant, The Bistro, no longer serves dinner, which is too bad. It was moderately priced and good. They only serve breakfast and lunch there now. This is a definite minus! They have moved the bar to the lobby, which I think was a mistake as it is a source of noise. It used to be in the foyer leading to the Bistro Restaurant but since they no longer do dinner there, I guess that is why they moved the bar.

The hotel is in downtown Dallas which is dead at night. Not an area that you want to walk around in the dark. Some readers will be interested to know that the mother store of Nieman Marcus is just a very short distance away. However, the hotel is very very busy! Two wedding parties going on and lots of people coming and going.

The decor in my room, was nice but very dated grandma style and somewhat drab. Bed was comfortable and the TV was excellent. Two chairs in my room were very uncomfortable. There was a couch too, but no lamp next to it so useless for reading and not on a direct view with the TV.

The disaster was the bathroom! For a jr. suite such as mine, there was only a stall shower which is ok with me but no handles inside, no place to put your foot up to wash your legs. Only a very small soap container which was too small for the shampoo! Shower head was ok, though. The big problem was at the sink! Turn on the hot water and you get very hot water - so far so good. Turn on the cold water - - - - - and you get hot water after it has run for 30 or 40 seconds. If you want a cold glass of water, be advised to buy bottled water. (There is an all-night 7/11 very close to the hotel) Finally, one morning, I did not have to worry about the "cold water" tap as there was NO water!! I think the hotel has to do some sprucing up. It has been terrific in the past but has slipped.

Room Tip: My room was miles from the elevator which is ok with me but be aware if you prefer to be closer to t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times for work and this time was not one of my favorites. the hotel seemed to be having issues with not having enough employees staffed when needed. My room was clean and fresh as always. One very major pain was that one morning I discovered that I had no bath towels in my room but unfortunately did not notice this until after I had already showered and was dripping wet with only a hand towel to dry off with. I needed to get to the office so had no other option. As I was leaving to go to the office, I saw a maid bringing towels to a room several doors down from me so I guess that problem was not mine alone. I also had to wait about 15 minutes the day I was checking out to get my bill. Even though I do have other options when i come to Dallas for my work trips I will probably still give them another try and hope for a better experience next time.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at The Adolphus while in town for a convention. It is within walking distance of the Convention Center which is nice. The hotel has some amazing architectural details in the lobby, you can tell it's definitely a historic place. However those quaint details in the lobby provide for rooms that desperately need updating. The only outlets in my room that worked were the ones with lamps plugged in, meaning I had to unplug a lamp to charge my phone. The problem with that is the entire room was lit by only 3 lamps so without one, it was extremely dark. The bed was comfortable, the pillows were terrible. I had to stack 3 of them together to be able to sleep without my head falling through the stuffing. The bathroom vanity was gorgeous but the bathtub was old and disgusting. The inserts for soap and such looked as though they hadn't been cleaned in years, the shower curtain smelled of mildew and the water smelled like dirt. Again, it is a very pretty hotel but I think management needs to take some time and spend some money doing renovations.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room we had was spacious and quiet. The service was impeccable. Room service food was tasty but expensive. If needing to be in downtown Dallas, a great place to spend your time. We didn't get to use any other of their facilities because of time constraints but enjoyed beautiful hotel and wonderful service.

• Stayed November 2012
Detroit
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Adolphus is one of those grand hotels that remind you of how things once were. They are celebrating thier 100th Anniversary this year and the common areas are just as pristine as when constructed. I have stayed in many nice hotels but none more grand than this. If you really want a wonderful experience try the Ottoman Suite. It is apparently favored by celebrities and the like. You wander through the seven rooms and enjoy a game on the full size pool table. Truly something to be experienced.

The service was equally impressive. It would take much effort to find the slightest fault with the rooms, service and amenities.

Room Tip: The Ottoman Suite with 7 rooms including a full kitchen, small office and huge terrace topped off wi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is vintage everything, furniture, beds, bathroom etc
It s definitely a location used for partying, this time we were awaken by people next door at 3 am. We contacted the front desk and the noise was reduced after that
Paid only 86 bucks but then there was a 26 bucks overnight parking fee...
Good hotel for the price but not excellent for sure

• Stayed November 2012