“OU - TX Weekend 2011”

The Adolphus, Autograph Collection
Ranked #16 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I had a very good experience at this hotel the weekend of OU-Texas 2011. I have nothing but positive things to say with a few exceptions. The positives of my stay included the ambiance of the hotel, the courteousness of the staff, and the spacious room. One complaint that I have is that there were too few staff available at check in. I understand that this is one of the busiest hotel weekends of the year, but it is for precisely this reason that more staff are needed. My other complaint has to do with the elevator situation. It seemed that the elevator bank had four or five elevators, but I recall only two ever working. This definitely needs to be fixed. Overall though I enjoyed my stay and I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Avoid the Queen Suite if possible. One of my friends got this room and it was considerably smaller...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carter J
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments. Our staff appreciates the praise.

Texas-OU (or OU-Texas) Weekend is one of the busiest weekends in Dallas. Alas, hotels are not able to "staff up" for the busiest weekends of the year. Remember the old saying about building a church for Easter Sunday? A hotel would have to be busy at that level all year round in order to retain that number of staff.

I do a fair amount a travel myself, and I have yet to find a hotel that has elevators that arrive just when I need one, especially when occupancy is very high. It always seems as though only some of them are working; but they are, in fact, servicing other floors. There is often a wait, even at brand new convention-style hotels that have the quickest elevators on the planet. One day someone will solve this, but it hasn't happened yet.

I think there is some confusion about the Queen Suite. The Queen Elizabeth II Suite is a two-bedroom suite, with two huge garden terraces, a full living room, dining room, three full bathrooms, and a kitchen. It is close to 2,000 square feet.

Thank you for allowing us to comment. We always enjoy the feedback.

David

Write a ReviewReviews (2,703)

Reviewed October 9, 2011

The hotel is located in a great location downtown Dallas and walking distance from many things- including several attractions (note- walking is not common in Dallas). The hotel has a very classic feel to it with employees decked out in cowboy hats and room keys (no longer used) hanging on the back walls of the check-in area. My room was a King sized room with a huge closet area. The view was out onto bricks which was the only downside.

There are several elevators but they can be slow at times. Also, the airport kiosk was out of service but they offered to get me into the business center (I already checked out) to print my boarding pass.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank qwick
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your classy review. We appreciate your kind words.

A few of our rooms do face the original 1912 light court; they go with historic hotels. When the hotel is full, our four elevators are zipping up and down the 19 floors. It is luck of the draw who pushes the elevator button first. Every hotel faces the same challenges, no matter how many elevators they have.

Your tips on location and walking distance will be very helpful to those planning a trip to Dallas. Well said.

Hats off to you,

Reviewed October 6, 2011

The Adolphus is a legend in the hospitality business – be sure to book early during the many periods it is hard to find a room. It is always my first choice and my second is the Ritz and Crescent which are farther away from the center. The W is great and modern but I find the rooms smaller – great Spa though.
The Adolphus is only 2 blocks from the flagship Neiman Marcus store in the revitalized downtown near all art and sports venues. A restaurants row with great steakhouses, Mexican restaurants within two blocks - but don’t miss The French Room at the Adolphus - a gourmet formal dining with refined cuisine with an extensive wine list – awarded a rare 5 stars status, rated best restaurant in TX.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Dear Leonard,

Thank you for your high praise and recommendation. To have the loyalty of frequent guests is the greatest compliment of all.

The French Room at The Adolphus is also most appreciative of your kind words.

We look forward to your next visit - with great pleasure.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed October 6, 2011

This hotel is amazingly beautiful, and a great deal for the price. They have wonderful room service, and a car to take you to other places near downtown. Would totally stay here again!

1  Thank WineLover1122
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

You are most kind.

Someone should write a sonnet to room service: how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. It is one of life's delicious comforts.

Our complimentary sedan service offers a real value, and guests rate it very highly. It saves on cab fare and provides a convenient way to explore Big D.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with other travelers - and letting them know about these Adolphus amenities.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

The caring staff, hotel ambiance, and downtown location of the Adolphus make this an ideal place to stay when visiting Dallas. We stayed for 3 nights and the entire experience including service, dining, complimentary drivers, and the room accomodations made for a perfect getaway.

Room Tip: Executive suites well worth the price
2  Thank C N
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for mentioning our caring staff. With decades of experience in the hospitality industry, they are truly outstanding in their field.

Your review is especially noteworthy because of your length of stay. One gets to know us well in three days.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best,

Reviewed October 4, 2011

We recently went to Dallas for the first time and did not know what to expect and we chose to stay at the Adolphus based on TA reviews and we were not disappointed. Very nice place to stay downtown. A beautiful and impressive classic hotel. Everyone on staff was friendly and helpful and they made our stay a good one. For an old historic hotel, the rooms were quite large and nicely appointed. Recently renovated and there is no "old hotel smell." We got a great rate and were pleased to also receive free breakfast coupons for the Bistro - which was a nice surprise. The hotel room was spacious, modern, new comfy king bed, nice bath & bath amenities, in-room coffee, mini-bar, good wireless connection, large walk-in closet, great views of the city, close to many things including the JFK memorial site, the Dart train station (2 blocks away) which made getting to and from the State Fair a breeze. The hotel is also close to several great places to dine in case their French Room is not your cup of tea. Everyone on staff was nice and helpful. Valet pakring was also easy. We would stay here again and we can also recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pirateparrot

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you chose The Adolphus for your first trip to Dallas. This is high praise, indeed, especially since you experienced all of our services.

Thank you for your kind words. I know they will prove helpful to other travelers.

We hope you will return soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

A friend had referred me to the French Room restaurant at the Adolphus and I had a wonderful experience there back in August of '09. On my return to Dallas, I wanted to experience the hotel and the restaurant and I was equally pleased. All of the staff were accommodating, friendly, and knowledgeable. We had a fabulous time and I will be staying at the Adolphus and dining at the French Room the next time I go to Dallas.

Room Tip: The suites are lovely.
1  Thank Poklada
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2011

Dear Guest,

What a lovely compliment.

Our staff appreciates the time guests take to write about their experiences. It is especially meaningful when guests return and find the hotel just as wonderful as they remembered it.

Thank you for sharing this.

Best,