“Items stolen from my room- NO refund”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Poynette, Wisconsin
“Items stolen from my room- NO refund”
Reviewed April 27, 2011

we were impressed at the hotel history, yet the last day of our stay, an item was stolen out of our room even though the "Do not disturb" sign was on the door. When I reported the lost to the front desk, no one did anything. I reported it a second time in the morning as we were checking out and I spoke to the security personal. I did not hear anything for several weeks. I had to email the hotel again. I heard from the manager- He did not believe me. I asked for the refund again, a month later I still have not heard any thing. So am posting this and on Facebook and any where else people want to read about good hotels. I was not impressed as I saw drunk clients in the lobby at 4AM as well as working Prostitutes with Asian clients in the hotel lobby. If they would have made a reasonable attempt to fix this I would not have posted this.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ganehls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2011

My wife and I arrived with high expectations on the Adolphus, having seen the rating for this hotel on Trip Advisor i.e #2 of 184 hotels in Dallas. Sadly, it didn't quite live up to that rating for us. The rooms are nice enough but have a tangible feeling of "age" to them (as opposed to "grand old style") and - compared to the 3 other hotels we stayed at in the U.S. - a tiny bathroom with no room to put out your toiletries. We couldn't get a booking into the French Room because it isn't open for dining on certain days of the week and I required a jacket, which I hadn't packed - very disappointing as the restaurant itself looks simply stunning. The hotel staff on the whole were very friendly and the concierge (Annibal, I think) recommended a private tour guide to us, a true gentleman by the name of "Bob". Bob made the Dallas part of our trip for us - pleasant, very well informed about his town and didn't charge like a wounded bull to take us out to "Southfork" for the morning; wait there while we had a tour around; then take us back to the hotel via some of the more interesting historical / architectural highlights of the city. If you are staying here from overseas and want to get a feeling for the city without going on the usual packaged tour bus route - ask for Bob.

1 Thank TonyatBrisvegas
DavidDavis, Public Relations Manager at The Adolphus, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
It was a pleasure having you at The Adolphus. We are proud to entertain many international travelers, including Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. We have accommodations to fit almost every budget. As with most luxury hotels, these lodgings range from grand to charmingly cozy. When one chooses the lowest rate category, it should come as no surprise that the guest room will be modest and reflect the price paid. Tiffany & Co. sells many different diamonds, as do we.

The French Room is open Tuesday through Saturday, as many restaurants are in Dallas. We make no apologies for our dress code, which is based upon frequent guest feedback. It is a five-star experience, and our patrons appreciate our honoring those fine dining traditions.

Thank you for recognizing the outstanding service provided by our staff. You were very kind to mention them by name.
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I have previous stayed at the Adolphus and I love the charm, location and service of the hotel, but my last visit left everything to be desired. I ran the Rock & Roll half marathon in Dallas last year and the Adolphus is a few blocks from the start line. Last year, the hotel was very accommodating with offers of late check-out and opening up breakfast (bagels, fruit, water, sports drinks, granola bars, etc.) for purchase very early. The staff was great and I've since stayed at the hotel for other occasions downtown.

This year, I wanted to repeat the fantastic experience from last year and I was sorely disappointed. When I checked in, I asked about late check-out and was told that a large group was arriving, so I couldn't be accommodated. That would have been fine, but the group checking in next to me asked for a late check-out and was told "sure!" I inquired about breakfast offerings for race-goers and was told flatly, "Breakfast is served from 6:30 to 10." I told the guy checking me in that I wanted to know if the hotel would be offering the same set-up that was offered the year prior. He flatly replied, "Breakfast is served from 6:30 to 10." Then he handed me my key with no offer to get a bell hop to assist with my bags. While I don't mind carrying my own bags, having a bell hop carry your bags to your room is one of the services that the hotel offers and the friendly clerk checking in his group offered it as I was walking away.

I had reserved and paid for a king sized room. When I got to my room, it had a double bed. These rooms are less expensive than the room I paid for, so I called the front desk to inquire about changing rooms. The same desk clerk who checked me in answered the phone, asked my room number a few times while he fumbled around, put me on hold, then came back on and asked for my room number again. The hotel has a system that displays the guest name and room number to the person who answers the phone (like most hotels of this caliber) so I'm not sure why I had to give the room number, my name and my issue more than once. Finally, after a great deal of silence, he said, "John will be up to your room in a minute." (Note, there was no apology for issuing me a different room than I had paid for.)

When John got to my room, he was very nice- he carried my bags and made pleasant conversation, suggested less-crowded dinner options and made sure that I was happy with the new room. John (and everyone else I encountered after that) was great.

I went to dinner with some fellow race-goers and when I came back, I noticed that a new crew was working the front desk. I called the front desk to ask about a late check-out and this time I was greeted by name and told immediately that my check-out had been extended until 1pm. I also had to call the front desk later to request an extra pillow and some silverware. Everyone was so nice, but that only made the first desk clerk that I dealt with seem all the more out of place. I wrote an email to the hotel explaining my frustrations with the first desk clerk, but praising the hotel for all of the other employees. I never heard anything back even though I had requested to be contacted and left a valid mailing address, phone number and e-mail. My room was almost $300 for a night in a city I live in, so I had high expectations of the level of service and unfortunately, one employee with a poor attitude ruined it for me. I don't know if I will stay in this hotel again.

It's a charming hotel and most of the rooms are different. The beds are comfortable, although the tv in most rooms is far away from the bed. Room service is great and will meet all of your requests and service is usually prompt and extremely friendly. I am very disappointed, however, that my request for contact went unanswered, so I'm not sure that I would pay money to stay here again.

1 Thank kstrouble
We appreciate your thorough review. While we were disappointed with your rating, we certainly understand how one inexperienced staff member can color an entire stay. Please know how very sorry we are. Your review has been shared with our new Front Desk associates. They were grateful for your insight and the gracious way in which you presented the critique. You can be sure that this is a lesson well learned! We look forward to making it up to you on your return, if you will give us another chance to shine.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We couldn't of hoped for a better time. We enjoyed a wonderful night and morning in downtown Dallas. The hamburgers at the Walt Garrison Bar and Grill are the best! We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Quiet corner room with king size bed.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MaryAnne40
We take special pride in making families feel at home at The Adolphus. We are delighted that you had such a wonderful time. That is what The Adolphus is all about: creating beautiful memories that last a lifetime.

The chef will be happy to hear that you enjoyed his grilled hamburgers in the Walt Garrison Rodeo Bar & Grill.

Take care and hurry back!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2011

This hotel is fantastic! I am very picky about my hotels and have never given a 5 star review before. But this place won me over and it is such good value for money!

The Adolphus is located centrally in Dallas and was very easy to find. There is valet parking and our bags were taken straight to our room without any fuss. When we checked in the staff were so professional and pleasant. I made a point of requesting that our room have sufficient space to set up the cot for our infant daughter, as this has been a problem at other hotels we have stayed at. I had no need to worry. The room was so spacious and comfortable. The bed was one of the best I have slept in and normally I don't sleep well in any bed other than my own. And very quiet. The airconditioning made a little noise but nothing compared with some hotels I have stayed in.

The whole hotel and the room were decorated in a modern, antique style. The building was very old but the only thing that gave it away is that none of the modern buildings are built so well. The hotel has been renovated and maintained beautifully, One thing I loved was that when you came out of the elevator, instead of seeing the mood lighting and dark interior that most hotels think is fashionable these days, it was brightly light with beautiful white and floral decor. I loved it.

We stayed on the 15th floor so I was surprised to jump in the shower and have hot water instantly. The room had all the usual conveniences - mini bar,coffee maker, ironing board, two flat screen TV, writing desk etc.

We asked the conceirge for a map to find somewhere for breakfast - he recommended a great place called Urban Cafe.

If I had to find a negative, it would be that valet parking is $24 per night and there are no self park options.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank KrysH
Your Adolphus travelogue certainly gives TripAdvisor members a true taste of The Adolphus. We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience in such beautiful detail.

What you describe is what we do our best to provide every guest who stays with us. Our philosophy - handed down from generation to generation - is "pleasing every guest, every time."

Thank you!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Good location to sites we wanted to walk to. Easy access to freeways to travel to friends' homes.

Room Tip: Had a corner room with view of plaza across the ST
3 Thank Flossie1975
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed April 10, 2011

As a frequent business traveler my expectations when visiting the Adolphus Hotel for a recent conference were modest. I anticipated yet another non-descript corporately produced factory environment. You know the type, vanilla. Nothing bad but nothing that would unique.

I’d like to report that should you have an occasion that takes you to Center City Dallas this is a hotel that you should seriously consider. Elegant without being pompous with a huge serving of Texas style hospitality. The facility is impeccably maintained, the rooms comfortable and clean, and the meeting spaces were all first rate.

There is no doubt in my mind that on my next trip to Center City Dallas the Adolphus Hotel will be the first hotel I’ll be considering.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank GCE_2011
DavidDavis, Public Relations Manager at The Adolphus, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Your kind words are inspiring to all hoteliers who sincerely want to make guests comfortable on the road. We could have the most beautiful building in the world, but if our staff were aloof and unkind the whole luxury experience would be deeply marred.

Thank you for making this point so eloquently.