“Excellent food and huge room”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Chapel Hill, NC
“Excellent food and huge room”
Reviewed October 16, 2007

This is a lovely hotel. I was traveling alone for a meeting and got checked-in ahead of time. My king size room was huge. My single room rate was $165 per night. A Starbucks is directly across the street... beware, they close at 2pm on Saturdays. No ice or vending machines so prepare to call room service. A soda from the lobby gift shop was expensive, $2.50. I ordered food to the room twice and it was very, very good. Sunday buffett for my group was delicious - excellently cooked eggs and pineapple tasted as if it was just picked from a tree. Some of the elevators were smaller than others, so it took a little time to get to my room when our events let out. Older hotel, so not a lot of outlets for my music, phone and for ironing. Surrounded by large buildings, so not much of a view. Bathrobe was a nice touch and loved the huge magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Taxi to the DFW airport was $50 for two people. Taxi's readly available outside the lobby.

• Liked — Hotel food
  • Disliked — Had to search room for outlets
  • Stayed October 2007
3 Thank Isky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
Switzerland
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I stayed here on business and received an upgrade to the "junior suite." My room was huge although most of the furniture was in the back half of the room. There was also a very large walk-in closet, minibar and full bathroom. The furniture made you feel as if you were staying in someone's home which was a nice touch. Overall, everything was very comfortable although the bathroom could use an update just for aesthetics. The lobby of the hotel is very impressive and all the staff were extremely pleasant and accomodating. I ordered room service breakfast both days of my stay and while the order was half an hour late one day (staff claimed this was due to computer glitch and were very apologetic), the food was very good and not as overpriced as it could have been.
My one complaint is not really the hotel's fault - downtown Dallas is dead boring on a weekend. There were few places to eat and nothing to do in the area. However, overall I found the hotel itself had enough character to make up for this and broke up the monotony of staying in run of the mill chain hotels.

• Liked — Great stuff and comfortable, spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Boring area
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank inkwave17
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 9, 2007

My bride's maids and I stayed at the Adolphus the weekend of Sep. 8 for my bachelorette party. The hotel was very elegant and made us feel like we had been taken back in time to a far classier era. We had assistance with a sedan to take us to the Greenville district and were very happy with the price and quality of the transportation that was recommended. One of my bride's maids was VERY drunk when we returned at about 2:30 a.m. and the staff helped another friend wheel - yes, wheel - her to our room and made sure she was OK. Also, we had to fight with the cab driver that took us back due to my friend throwing up in his vehicle. The Adolphus staff helped us and ensured us that we were offerring a fair price for the ride and the cleaning of the taxi.
The rooms were very spaciaous - we had 4 girls in one room and didn't feel cramped. The furnishings were very lovely. Also, check out wasn't until 1:00 p.m., which is much later than most hotels.
Any OU/Texas people looking for a great room downtown, I would definitely recommend the Adolphus!

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — the old television
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank jillellen80
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I recently stayed one night (supposed to be four) at the Adolphus hotel, and while the property wasn’t necessarily bad, I cut my stay short after the first night to find more updated accommodations. The hotel has a rich history, and it used to be downright fancy; however, its charm and reputation just weren’t enough to keep me, and I wouldn’t return. We booked the hotel through AmEx’s Fine Hotels and Resorts program, and this property is one that they should definitely drop from the list.

The Adolphus has several things going for it: It’s in the heart of downtown; it offers a variety of room sizes/categories; it has a pleasant staff; the rooms are pretty cheaply priced; it’s purported to have the finest dining of any hotel in America (at the French room). Oh, and the Queen once stayed there. The hotel is very proud of this fact (her picture hangs in the lobby), and I’ll be she enjoyed her stay many years ago. Unfortunately, I don’t think the property has been updated one bit since then, so the hotel’s royal appointment doesn’t really matter anymore.

We booked into a junior suite, which was nicely sized – although really just one big room. The first room we took smelled of cigarette smoke, so we asked to be moved. The front desk was happy to oblige, and we moved to another junior suite with a completely different layout. It was smoke free, but it had a definite mustiness to it. The décor of the room had a stuffy charm, but it also smacked of a fancy hotel from the late 1970s. It just didn’t appeal to me. Even though it was clean and in pretty-good condition, I got the feeling that the furniture was well used, and it all just seemed old. The bathroom was decent sized and had marble surfaces for floors, counters, and the combination shower/bath. All fixtures were of good quality but, like the rest of the room, looked too old. The room had two televisions, which were concealed in armoires.

Because we were in town to attend wedding festivities, we dropped off our bags, cranked down the a/c, and left for dinner. When we returned, we noticed that the room was not much cooler than when we checked in, and it felt quite muggy inside. Too tired to think about moving to another room, we turned in. At about 2 a.m., I awoke with a sore throat and a congested head. The air conditioner had been running nonstop, and the room had grown muggier without cooling down any. The air coming out of the vents felt so damp, and I could only imagine the mold spores that we must have been breathing. A few minutes later, rain began to fall outside, and I started hearing a dripping sound. One of the windows, which didn’t open, was taking in water so fast that a pool had formed on the marble ledge and was overflowing down to the carpet. At that point, I jumped on to the complimentary wireless internet connection and booked another room at the W hotel.

The front desk was concerned that we were leaving early, and they wanted to move us to a better room. But I knew that it would be more of the same and told them that the hotel just wasn’t a good fit for us. I think that many people would enjoy the turn-of-the-century charm that the property has to offer, but it just wasn’t the place for us. With a major renovation, the Adolphus might be able to compete with the other properties around downtown, but for now, it’s too far past its prime.

• Liked — Size/price of room
  • Disliked — Climate/condition of hotel and room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank scrateef
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Stepping into this hotel feels like stepping back in time. Truly amazing decor, beautiful architecture, and a stellar staff to match. I cannot say enough about the courtesy, kindness, and great sense of humor the staff offered.
A bellman opened my car door as I arrived, escorted us to check-in, then the check-in clerk introduced us to another bellman who showed us to our room. We were accidentally checked into the wrong room, but the staff replaced our keys and moved us very quickly without us having to lift a finger.
Room service was prompt and fabulous. I'm a tea drinker, and the selection of whole-leaf silk-bagged teas was wonderful. The concierge happily helped us with restaurant recommendations, directions, and anything else we needed. The beds and pillows were very comfortable: soft and well kept. I could have used a bit more cabinet space in the bathroom, but I loved the all the marble and natural stone accents.
The area around the hotel seems a bit economically depressed, and there were a few transients around in the evenings. None of them bothered us, but we felt we needed to be very aware of our surroundings, just in case. This was a very unique hotel, and I was thrilled to get away from the cookie-cutter hotels. I can't wait to stay at the Hotel Adolphus again!

• Liked — the charming staff and beautiful architecture
  • Disliked — not much cabinet space in bathroom
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank ABQinfo
USA
Reviewed July 10, 2007

This is a beautiful hotel, think 'Titanic' for decor. Very classic and ornate. Every single member of the staff was professional and helpful. We were greeted each time we returned with a warm 'welcome back' and the room service was wonderful and on time. The rooms were pretty and the Noble House spa soap was divine, in fact, I am going to order more online for my home. The only reason I rated the Adolphus a 4 instead of a 5 was because of our bed. It was too firm (think concrete floor) and the pillows were down, but they didn't have any support so your head would just sink to the mattress. I used my pillow from the decorative shams to sleep on because it had better support. Other than the beds, everything was great and the downtown location is wonderful. It is right next to the Magnolia (also a wonderful hotel - great beds, modern decor) and 1 block from Neiman Marcus.

• Liked — Beautiful
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tradewinns
Houston
Reviewed July 9, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Adolphus the weekend after we stayed at the Westin City Center (see my review on that). We loved the Adolphus and would definitely recommend it for travelers who appreciate nice digs and full service. It's on Commerce, so it's in an older part of downtown--the old original urban core, I take it, so there are some characters on the street, for sure (doesn't bother us-we live i downtown Houston). The hotel is really lovely with tons of charm--old paneling and woodwork in the huge lobby, and they even do afternoon tea (no kidding--people make a special point of coming for it. It's as beautiful a hotel lobby as you'll ever see. Again, "gracious" is the world I'd use). It's an older hotel so it's not as perfectly tip top as the Westin--it has seen more mileage--but it's in a great old building and the rooms are fine--large, with monogrammed linens and very nice travertine bathroom. And, after all, for many years it has been "the" place to stay in Dallas--everyone from European royalty to U2 has stayed there. The staff was maybe the most gracious I have ever encountered in any hotel--I mean, the people cleaning the rooms have their hair done and are wearing jewelry. The Magnolia, which I have not stayed in, is next door, and has a Starbuck's in the ground floor which is very nice to know about, since I'm a muffin and latte sort of person. We did not eat at the famous French Room at the Adolphus which is apparently the highest rated hotel restaurant in the country. We didn't hang out at Walt Garrison's Bar and Grill either on the ground floor, but they serve nuts in a shell in a bucket and your throw your shells on the floor--yee haw! Either way, I would say that if you're in Dallas and you can swing a good deal, you have to stay here just for the experience--a truly grand old hotel with absolutely first rate service and historical presence.

• Liked — Chram
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business