“A very nice stay”

Sheraton Dallas Hotel
Ranked #39 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I was attending a conference in the Convention Center in April, which is attached to the Sheraton on the 2nd floor.

Sheraton Check in was rapid, efficient, and the customer service at a high standard. I was directed to my elevator and tower directly and made my way to the room.

As is usual for Texas, everything is bigger, and this hotel is no exception. While the overall property is huge and common areas the same, the room floors design was laid out in an easy to navigate square pattern. I have stayed in much more sprawling properties. While the walk from front desk to the North Tower elevators is a 5 minute hike, from floor elevator to your room is a quick walk, regardless of where the room is in the square.

The room was very clean, non smoking, well lit, had a nice large screen flat panel TV, and a wall to wall window with a view of downtown. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious, nicely designed, and stocked with toiletries and linens.

The bed was very comfortable, and the room quiet. I had no problems sleeping for my whole stay.

The eateries around the hotel were sparse. Being on the edge of town, a short walk (10 minutes max) to Main street was the fastest access to a restaurant area. I visited two places downtown, both of which had very nice cuisine, one Mexican establishment known as Iron Cactus and another Italian establishment known as Ravenna. I also observed several other interesting places on the same street. The West End was known to be near and worth exploring, which I did not have time to walk further into. Word of advice: The last night I ate at the Sports Bar in the hotel to save time. The food was very fried and awful compared to the external establishments on Main street. I would NOT eat there again. Also, the only coffee shop nearby is in the hotel, Pete's, which closes promptly at 5pm. You have to be joking. 5pm in a convention hotel? I recommend the SHeraton kick them out and invite a Starbucks onboard with a later opening time. The nearest Starbucks, by the way, is only open until 6pm and is also on Main Street.

The Hotel gym is awesome. I have never said that in any property I have reviewed, but this one merits the praise. It was more like a LA Fitness or Bally's than a hotel based micro-gym. I never had a problem finding a treadmill, since there were about 20+, and that carried over to the life cycles, rowing machines, etc. All the equipment was new, functional, had TV screens, or you could look out at the roof top pool, which was surrounded by lounge chairs and outdoor beds. Yes, Beds, which sounded like fun for falling asleep after a quick swim or just enjoying the outdoor air. Blast not bringing my swim suit along!

Checkout was efficient and in short order I was ready to leave from the underground parking area.

Which leads me to the one issue I had with the stay. My room key was coded to allow egress from the parking garage. Naturally it chose to quit working when I used it in the underground lot that last day. The HELP button on the exit post worked, whereupon I had to explain who I was, why I was calling, and wait for them to check that I was valid to exit, a 5 to 8 minute delay.

Not a tragic issue, but given all the good things that occurred at this property, one I can live with.

I would come to this property again at any time and wholeheartedly recommend it to others staying in this area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
SheratonDallasGM, General Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2010

Dear VisitedNewPlaces,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to see that you could make use of our fantastic newly renovated fitness center. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ray Hammer – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,842)

Reviewed April 24, 2010

Make no mistake about it -- this is a very large convention hotel, which means at times (and depending on how many conventions) it can be very, very busy in the downstairs public areas, and in car valet area. The front desk area can also get very busy, especially during peak check-in and check out periods. So if you are looking for a serene boutique experience, this is probably not the hotel for you. However, we found this hotel to be very, very nice in many ways. We all stayed in the North Tower, which has been (I understand) recently renovated, and the rooms were nicely furnished. My executive suite was actually huge, very nicely appointed, two large flat screen televisions with HD, very comfortable beds (the usual Sheraton Sweet Sleepers -- but very nice.) The suite had brand new high end designer carpet. Very clean. Bathroom very nicely appointed -- not palatial, but very pleasant, and fine. We were on one of the club floors, and the club itself was basic but very nice. For convenience I found myself eating in the hotel restaurant several times, and the food was tasty and well prepared, and the servers were quite nice. Outside the restaurant, there is a nice outdoor areas with chairs positioned around fire pits -- and it's a very pleasant place to grab a drink at night. The front desk staff was pretty much all business, but they get the job done. But it is frantic down there with such a large hotel, so one understands that they don't really have the time to do back flips. So, all in all, we had a great stay, and were very pleased. I generally do not enjoy hotels this huge, but all in all, this particular hotel has a lot of pluses which compensate. At least that was our experience! And the hotel is very well located, within easy walking distance of the Meyerson Concert Hall and the new Opera House.

Dear GeoSF,

Thank you for your review of your experience with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed one of our newly remodeled Executive Suites and had the opportunity to experience our new restaurants. Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to treating you again in the future.

Reviewed April 21, 2010

I have stayed a number of Sheraton in North America and I found this one to be on par with others that I have stayed at. I was a little concerned after reading all the negative reviews but once there, I realized that I would experience my normal Sheraton stay. The front desk stay was extremely pleasant and very helpful, even when I had to go there three times as I kept forgetting my room key. The hotel was very busy during my stay with a large amount of young people staying there for a sporting event, NASCAR and a balloon artist conference. My room was kept extremely clean by the house keeping staff and they always greeted me in the hall with a smile and a hello. Actually all staff were pleasant and always acknowledge me when passing.

The public areas were always clean and well presented, even with the large number of people that seem to hangout in the lobby during my stay. I ate in the main resturant for breakfast on two of the four mornings I was there. The breakfast buffet was good, but selection was limited, especially at $18.00 person. The continental buffet option was a great value at $8.00 person. Also, I ate one evening at Drafts bar while watch the NHL playoffs, I wish that there was more selection on the menu than was offered. A few more sandwiches or a streak option would have been nice. This was the only place where the staff did not do a steller job. It seemed that they were distracted a lot and did not check in often with me to see how my meal was or if I required another drink.

The only other comment I could make is that my room was rather warm. I did not complain as it had nothing to do with the a/c unit itself but rather the placement of the thermostat. Placing the thermostat almost directly above the heating and cooling unit does not make sense, they should be placed at least 5-10 feet from the unit. Maybe something that could be addressed when the next reno are done.

I would not let the negative reviews here stop you from staying at this hotel. It is located in a good location and you are only a short walk to many attractions. I would stay here again without hesitation.

Dear flyguy35,

It is always great to hear that our facilities did not disappoint. I have forwarded your comments onto the Hotel Restaurant Management in regards to our menu selections – without customer feedback we do not know our potential areas for improvement. We appreciate your review and we hope to welcome you in the near future. Take care.

Reviewed April 1, 2010

Interesting to see such a varied group of experiences at this hotel. My experience was great. First of all, I expect to see some service charges and to know that if you're staying at a hotel of this caliber in downtown Dallas, you better expect to pay.

My room was awesome. Great, comfortable beds. Lots of workspace room. Good-sized, very clean bathrooms with nice amenities for shampoo/conditioner, etc. I was a little bummed that the TV selection didn't include HBO (they have Showtime) but that's a small drawback in comparison.

The staff was very helpful and the quality of food for the dinner buffet the night I ate downstairs was very good (Italian). The waitstaff fell over themselves trying to serve me.

If anyone has heartburn over paying for Internet, the hotel has a massive Microsoft-oriented center on the main floor where you can access the Internet freely and print out stuff, etc. Lots of computers and few people there.

I loved this hotel and would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
SheratonDallasGM, General Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2010

Dear Portastorm,

Thank you for your pleasant review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2010

These people are crooks and do not have common sense! Make a long story short, they made a $200 charge on my credit card for a smoking fee. What?!!! Hello, me and my husband are non smokers. We even advised the front desk that our room smelled like smoke, to which they kept telling us to hold on (were understaffed). We figured it was no big deal and left to our dinner reservation until weeks later saw the charge on our statement. For which, the manager declined to credit it. What do they base themselves on??!! Can they show me proof? Very rude and just waiting to see where they can steal from you. Will never stay at another starwood hotel in my life, and will def tell my enourmous circle of friends and family about this!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Alfver,

My name is Ray Hammer – General Manager. First, let me apologize for what you have encountered from our hotel. This example is not a representation of what we strive to offer. Secondly, I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention – we cannot improve our customer service without feedback like yours’.
Thirdly, I would appreciate the chance to learn more about your concerns. Please feel free to reach me directly at SheratonDallasManager@sheraton.com with your contact details so this can be rectified.

Reviewed March 27, 2010

Had a horrible stay at the Sheraton Dallas. The rooms were not clean at all. Dirty bathrobe was left on my bathroom door, hairs were in the bed, mud on the bathroom floor, air-conditioning didn't work, coffee creamers were expired and came out in chunks.

When I tried bringing my concerns to the hotel management via email after my stay they blew me off and said there was no record of any of this in the night managers log, essentially blaming me. Forgive me for not calling the night manager. I had just traveled internationally to be there and had not slept in 2 nights. My first thought was not to talk to the manager.

Don't even look at this hotel! Not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
SheratonDallasGM, General Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2010

Dear seekingtomorrow,
Thank You for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. Checking into a dirty room can leave a negative lasting impression that overshadows the rest of any trip. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future.
I wish that I can provide you with a reason as to why you encountered hostility from our staff when you previously contacted us. I have reviewed our recent Hotel Logs and I was unable to find any events recorded in our system to match your comments, and as such I would need more information before I can move forward with addressing your stay. Please feel free to reach out to the hotel directly at SheratonDallasManager@sheraton.com with your contact details so we can work together to resolve this. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2010

First off, I'm sick and tired of being "serviced charged" to death when I travel. Normally I don't go for 4 stars because 95% of the time the higher the star the more you pay for "extras" like parking and internet. I guess they think everyone walks or cabs to hotels, and the internet is still a "new" science that should be paid for. I did manage to get a great price on another website, and knowing I would be charged some for extras I thought "what the heck" I'd guess I'd pay about $20 for both those things. Parking and Internet instantly added $32 to every night!! Ridiculous. The good news is the Gym is great (and surprisingly free), but the bad is the room. While big, is a bit dated with peeling wallpaper, stained drapery, & mirror missing on wall (but hooks still there) etc. Definately not 4 star. Lastly I tried 3 separate floors to get ice and water (BTW water in the room...$4.50) but all machines sold out, and no ice machine worked. All in all not a impressed with the personal space as I should be for this rating.

2  Thank TravelDawgSA
SheratonDallasGM, General Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2010

Dear TravelDawgSA,

I apologize that we were unable to address the maintenance problems during your stay with us. We do take our guest’s comfort as a highest priority and are willing to assist in any manner available. Please contact us at info.03207@sheraton.com with your stay information, so that we can address the issues that you mentioned with the room you stayed in. Also, we will have the vending machines stocked and the ice machines fixed; I sincerely apologize that they were unavailable during your stay. Lastly, please feel free to contact us prior to your next stay so that we can ensure your needs are met.