“Not a fan -- not up to Starwood Standards.”

Sheraton Dallas Hotel
Ranked #39 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I stayed for one night at the Sheraton Dallas for a meeting. My entire experience was subpar, beginning with a long line for check-in, followed by a very, very strange and robotic front desk clerk who immediately handed back my Starwood Gold card instead of looking at it weand then asked me if I was a Starwood Preferred Guest member. When I responded affirmatively, she just shook her head and said "No, no, no." Although she did locate my SPG number and apparently added it to my reservation, I did not receive an upgrade or even a room on the SPG floor of the hotel.

My room was tiny, with a space for a fridge but no actual fridge, wet carpet, a rattling AC unit, and an odd, smoky smell. The capper was when I was already in bed, well after 11 pm, and two different housekeeping staff members pounded on my door, insisting that I had called to ask them to bring up a room service menu. I had not, obviously, although there was no hotel information in the room; the second staff member responded very rudely and sarcastically when I asked her not to return and that I was trying to sleep. Ironically, I was exhausted because I had been awakened by a 4:30 am false fire alarm at a different Sheraton in Arlington, VA that morning.

The rooms where our meetings were held were adequate and the food was fairly good, but I would not recommend this hotel, especially for leisure travelers. I am glad that my company picked up the tab for the room, because I would be incredibly disappointed if I had paid for this room and the incredibly low level of service.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
SheratonDallas, Field Marketing Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2009

Dear hrppa,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. The hotel strives to provide the best customer service possible and we take all of our guest comments very seriously. Your comments have been forwarded to the all department managers so that they can take immediate action.

Thank you again for your comments.

Sincerely, Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (2,842)

Reviewed October 25, 2009

Stayed for three nights in mid-October at a conference rate of $139 + tax. I was in the North tower on the top floor.

Its a bit of a rabbit warren with the towers and 3 sets of elevators per tower (depending on floor) but its not that hard to work out. The stand out feature is the gym which is large with lots of excellent modern kit well spaced out. Probably one of the biggest gyms I see in a hotel. There were 10-12 x-trainers alone. Probably about 15 joggers, and a load of weight machines.

The rooms were fine. Standard business type rooms. I singed up for the 'middle' internet package at $14.95 per 24 hrs and it was poor. Very laggy and a long pause before sites loaded. Not happy. In fact, so not happy, I went out and purchased a mobile broadband package so I don't have to tolerate paying such a large sum of money for such a poor service again.

Its a bit isolated from a location perspective with nothing really in the immediate vicinity but stuff within a 10-15 minute walk. There are hotel facilities and the bar is pleasant enough and the prices not too stupid.

I'd be happy to stay again for a conference but wouldn't chose the hotel if it wasn't the conference hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
SheratonDallas, Field Marketing Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2009

Dear drc225,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We were pleased to read that you were satisfied with our newly remodeled fitness room. The hotel is very excited about the upgrade, and we are receiving great feedback about it from our guests.

I apologize that the hotel’s internet speed was not up to par. The hotel does offer free computers with internet at the Link in the lobby, plus free wifi in the lobby for our guests.

Thanks again for your comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service.

Reviewed October 21, 2009

I was in Dallas for a conference and stayed at this hotel I have to say that It was an incredibly unpleasant experience that ended with me being unexpectedly charged a fine for smoking ($200). I had a very difficult time sleeping due to the constant noise from partying people in the hallway and was dismayed at the drunken behavior in the lobby, presumably the students coming in for the Oklahoma/Texas game. When I asked for a taxi, the bellhop said I should take a flatrate limo instead of the taxi, which caused the taxi driver to correctly accuse the bellhop of trying to cheat customers (the flat rate was twice that of the metered taxi). I expect more from high class hotels like the Sheraton. The main reason I am writing, however, is the unexpected charge.
When I checked in, I gave the receptionist my credit card, and received a card key for the room. That is it. I was not informed that the hotel was nonsmoking, nor did I sign any no-smoking agreements, and there were not any no-smoking signs in the room. So, I was surprised when I was asked to stop smoking in the room-which, of course, I did, when asked to do so. No problem, I went outside to smoke my cigars. I was much more surprised to learn that a $200 fine/charge was levied on my folio. When I asked to speak with the manager about the charge, a surly, somewhat off-putting person repeatedly told me the charges would stand, regardless of my attempts to explain the misunderstanding. I sent a letter about this only to be told that the fine stands. I have stayed in many Sheratons and never have been treated so callously.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
SheratonDallas, Field Marketing Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2009

Dear pirate43,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Dallas. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the noise at the hotel during the TX vs. OU weekend. It is a very busy weekend for the hotel, and the hotel makes every effort possible to make sure the noise is kept at a minimum.

The Sheraton brand is nationally a non-smoking chain, and has received large amounts of accolades honoring this policy. I apologize for the misunderstanding with this policy, but the hotel tries to make sure that all guests are aware of it during their stay. The no-smoking policy and fine information is also located on our hotel’s website.

Reviewed October 15, 2009

Great Fitness Room: 10-15 each elliptical and treadmills, 6 bikes(3 recumbent), free weights with benches, 20+ weight machines- all the standards.
The rooms were renovated, but they have not kept up on maintaining the rooms. Our room had a bit of a stink(either left over smoke or other musty smell), splatters on walls, carpet had snags in it. Outside pool had bathing pigeons everyday.
Amenities in room: Fridge, microwave, coffee maker, recycling bin in trash can, magnifying mirror at sink.
Missing: Place to put folded clothing, space to walk by desk and chair when not stowed, booklet explaining services for the hotel( internet, fitness center hrs, pool hrs, restaurants), clean feeling in bathroom(tile that didn't ever seem clean, darkened spot on tile floor).
Bit noisy in North tower from the street trolly and traffic
Our reservation was booked as 2 stays in one room, an inconvenience to have keys rekeyed, also had to have them rekeyed for parking in the garage. $15/day for parking.
Tagged along with my spouse for a conference, but didn't feel safe walking around downtown by myself as I have done in NYC.
Only worth a stay if you are here for a conference in the hotel. Bit of a confusing layout with 3 towers and elevators only going to certain floors with conference rooms on 4 floors and across the street.
Conference food was passable. Conference rooms could use some sprucing up.
Internet was $10-25/day

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
SheratonDallas, Field Marketing Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2009

Dear 2jokers,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our newly remodeled fitness room. We are very proud of it!

We take all of our guest's comments seriously and will make sure that they end up in the appropriate manager's hands. We apologize with your displeasure of our sleeping rooms, and will address your comments with our house keeping staff.

Reviewed October 15, 2009

it was awesome it was awesome it was awesome it was awesome it was awesome it was awesome it was awesome it was awesome it was awesome it it was awesomewas awesome

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
SheratonDallas, Field Marketing Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2009

Dear LalaB3,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Dallas!

Hotel Management

Reviewed August 15, 2009

The hotel was very nice in the common areas, and the rooms were large, clean, newly remodeled, and beautiful. However, the fees in the hotel were excessive ($52 for a no-frills room service breakfast for two). We were vendors at a convention, and the add-on fees for receiving packages, electricity hookups, phones lines, etc. were excessive and not competitive with other hotels we have done business with. The hotel staff was cordial, but did not go out of their way to make us feel welcome and valued. Check-in was like a cattle call where the bellman abandoned our cart of luggage next to the registration area and walked off without a word. Hotel check-in clerk was all business, and did not seem warm, or happy to have us there. Hotel did not offer free internet in the $119/night rooms. The $30/day parking garage fee was excessive.. Sure the hotel is located downtown, but there is nothing to speak of within walking distance, other than the Americas building with some fast food outlets that all close around 6pm. Our hotel bill of $690+ for a 4-night hotel stay (and the 1 day of room service breakfast) was, in my opinion, too high for the service we received. I would never repeat an experience like this unless absolutely necessary for business. Had I been one of the convention attendees, I would have been even more disappointed in the hotel's value for price paid, and might have left the first night to go stay somewhere else. It is clear that the hotel uses the fact that there are no shopping or food stores nearby to its advantage, and overcharges its guests. If you have a car where you can go out and buy things, then you get to pay $30/day to park it. Shame on this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
SheratonDallas, Marketing Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2009

Dear kittytraveler,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Dallas. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the customer service you receives. Our service associates are retrained every 6 months, and we do strive to provide first class customer service to all of our guests. We also do take surveys of other downtown hotels so that we can make sure we are competitively priced in the market. Making sure that we provide guests with great value is a big concern, and we do apologize that you feel we our overpriced, but we do believe we are competitive in the market. We do take all comments seriously and the appropriate manager will review your comments with our staff. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

1- You will love this hotel if you like using toilets on an airplane. I can't believe they just spent millions on renovations and now are saddled with disfuctional restrooms. They call it "going green". I personally can't see how flushing your toilet 10 times saves any water and I know it wastes alot of time.
2- This place is too expensive considering there is really nothing to do in or around the hotel. They do have a sports bar but they seem to keep the same channel on most of the TV's. I asked the bar manager to put on some a baseball and he said that they didn't have the MLB package because management didn't want to spend the money. Some sports bar. To find any amenities you have to cross the walkway on the second floor and go to the Westin so why not stay there from the start.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
SheratonDallas, Marketing Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2009

Dear ispymartin,

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Sheraton Dallas. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the issues with the toilets in the room. We are completing a 90 million dollar renovation which included guest rooms. The toilets have all been replaced and we are making adjustments daily to make sure that we prevent any reoccurring maintenance challenges. Our new sports bar Draft is the latest in technology providing 104” screen and 23 flat screen TV’s with Wii and 2 private Karaoke rooms. We do provide a variety of sporting events throughout the bar/restaurant area. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service.