“Large busy hotel, but they make it work”

Ranked #44 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Peoria AZ
“Large busy hotel, but they make it work”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Sheraton is huge...and always busy. We were there 5 nights on a company sponsored trip. We arrived from the airport on a chartered bus, all 50+ of us, you'd think check in would have taken a long time, but they called "all hands on deck" to handle the sudden crowd and the line moved quickly, much appreciated! Our room was in the north tower, large with 2 double beds, with plenty of space for 2 roommates to coexist comfortably. the beds were comfy, and I love the down pillows. We didn't have a frig, as mentioned at check in, but one was delivered quickly to our room. The property has a sports bar/restaurant, a sit down restaurant, Peet's coffee and a bar. The concierge was a huge help in finding off property food outlets within walking distance. While we didn't use the train, the stop is right outside one of the hotel entrances.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sheraton D, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Hello DesertDweller,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your experiences with our front desk, rooms, and the dining in and out of the hotel. We invite you to return to the hotel the next time you journey to Dallas.

Sheraton Dallas Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with 5 other girlfriends for a bday weekend last weekend (1/10/14 - 1/12/14). I had read the other reviews and knew that it was a very large convention hotel, but still wasn't prepared for all of the people in the lobby when we arrived. I've honestly never seen so many folks in a hotel at one time. There are 3 different towers. We stayed in the more recently renovated Central Tower in room 1244 and 1246. Our rooms were very nice and clean. The beds and pillow are extremely comfortable and clean. We didn't experience and noise issues either. We also had Club Access (which requires a separate key entry). They provided free breakfast buffet and appetizers in the early evenings. You also had your choice of red or white wine, bud light or Shiner Bock in the evenings. The gentleman server at the Club was very friendly and happy to serve, so don't forget to leave him a tip. The view is pretty from the Club. Two of my friends used the Gym and were very impressed. This is a definite perk at this hotel. The hotel is nicely situated in downtown Dallas in the Arts Districts, so it is within walking distance to the Dallas Museum of Art, the new Klyde Warren Park, the Nasher Sculpture Museum, and the Plaza of the Americas. There is a covered skybridge that you can use to walk across the street to Plaza of the Americas where you the have some retail shops and fast food and sit down restaurants. We took advantage of the D Link bus stop across the street. This is a new feature that Dallas just started offering and it is a free service that takes you all through downtown and up to Oak Cliff. We took the one up to Oak Cliff, ate lunch and did some great shopping. I would stay at this hotel again and would take advantage of the features I've mentioned. The rest of the hotel hasn't been renovated since 1999, so keep that in mind. If you're looking for a 4 or 5 star, this isn't the Sheraton, but it's a great hotel if these are the things that interest you. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the Central Tower with a South view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sheraton D, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hello Michele,

Thank you for sharing your very thorough review. We are pleased to know that you, and your girlfriends, enjoyed your birthday weekend celebration with us. The hotel’s last renovation was in 2009 actually, not 1999 (http://bit.ly/1doEVSJ). We invite you to return to the Sheraton Dallas for another enjoyable experience.

Los Angeles
Reviewed January 13, 2014

As part of my job in the touring entertainment business, I regularly have parcels shipped to my hotel ahead of time. This hotel's policy is to give their incoming parcels to a third-party business, who then charges exorbitant rates simply to hand them over to their rightful owner. This unrelated business, Penfield's, maintain a small shop on the second floor where they charge $16.95 for each small parcel, $29.95 for each one over 20 lbs., and it just gets higher from there. At no point when making my reservation was I warned of these fees, and I did not give verbal or written permission to Sheraton Dallas to transfer custody of MY PROPERTY to this predatory third-party business, Penfield's. This amounts to something ranging from a shakedown to flat-out extortion, and reflects very poorly on this particular Sheraton. I do not know the legality of this scam, but it is certainly unethical. A minor handling fee from a bellhop would not bother me (though only one in a hundred hotels even charge that)...but Penfield's fees are way beyond the actual shipping charge of having the packages sent from thousands of miles away, and are clearly exploitative of the shady situation where they have taken unauthorized possession of your property. Any positives about this hotel (and the rooms are indeed very comfortable) are far outweighed by the very strong negative of their participating in a sleazy shakedown of this nature, and fearing that this example is indicative of management and ownership's attitude towards their customers, I would avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello Leonardsworth,

Due to the business volume of guests that stay with us, the Sheraton Dallas partnered with Penfield’s to ensure that our guests would have access to all their necessary business and shipping needs in a quick and convenient business center. Your review has been shared with the hotel management and we will be working to make the business center a bigger part of our webpage to avoid issues like this in the future. You can view all the Penfield’s shipping and receiving prices here: http://penfields.com/services/package-handling-2/

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at ted.lepak@sheraton.com if you would like to discuss the issue in more detail.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times and the rooms are very hit or miss. Have had some some very nice rooms that appear to be renovated, but also have had rooms that are easily showing their age. Arrived late and had a problem with multiple stains on our sheets. Took housekeeping over an hour to change them ,ended up getting free breakfast and parking. Feels like every time I stay here I get comped something since there is always some inconvenience that arises. Hard to recommend with the lack of consistency.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sheraton D, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hello Matt,

We apologize for the issues you experienced in the past with your rooms and sheets. In the future when you book with us, I encourage you to email me at ted.lepak@sheraton.com and I will look into making sure your stay is a special and enjoyable experience.

Hollywood, South Carolina
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I didn't have much choice of hotels since the business meeting I was attending was in this hotel. Upon arrival the hotel looked average in the lobby area. I checked in at the desk and the young lady there was very friendly and helpful. I was booked in a Junior Club Level Suite and was expecting a great experience from this Starwood Hotel. After opening the door to my suite, I was very disappointed. The room was very dated and well worn. It did have a nice large seating area separate from the bed area. The two sections were divided by a desk which also had the TV hovering over one end of the desk mount to a movable wall mount. Plenty of room for working if there was a need. The bathroom was extremely small. Only enough room for one person to turnaround. I left the room to run in the gym facility. The gym was very large, updated and quite nice. This was a good surprise since my initial reaction to the hotel was not so good. After returning to my room, I decided to shower before dinner. Once I turned the water on, the water was a brown rusty color for a few moments. I was extremely worried at this point. The water did clear up and this was the only time the water looked dirty. The toilet was also very hard to flush. After pressing the button, the toilet would never fully flush so you had to hold the button in while it flushed. The toiletries were quite sparse but adequate. I wanted to go to the Club Lounge but found out hat it was in the Central Tower on the 27th floor while I was in the South Tower on the 29th floor. It was not very convenient so be aware if you do stay here and you have a Club Level room then you want to stay in the Center Tower. Some of my colleagues stayed in the North Tower and on our last night the elevator to the NorthTower was running with water like a waterfall and you had to take the stairs or wait on staff to take you to the employee/service elevator. In the stairway on the 4th floor of the North Tower someone had vomited all over and no one from the hotel had cleaned any of it so that made the use of the stairway that much worse. The hotel is adequate so if you do have to stay there then you will be ok but be aware the hotel is dated, well worn and not the best option in the Downtown Dallas area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sheraton D, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hello DDB0726,

We apologize for the issues you experienced with your bath water. We had issues with our water pipes this weekend that affected a few of our guests, however these issues have been resolved and should not interfere with future guest experiences. The issues with the north tower elevator were also connected to our water pipes issue. We encourage you to re-experience the Sheraton Dallas so you can see that the hotel is not simply adequate but extraordinary. If you have the opportunity the next time you book with us, please connect with me directly and I will see to it that your experience is very enjoyable.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Erwin the bellhop is amazing. We mentioned we were supposed to get a microwave in the room and he said he would check on it. He called our room a couple hours later to make sure things were taken care of. The room is clean and the bathroom is updated and very well done. I am happy to be staying at this hotel with my family.

• Stayed January 2014
Hello jsimecek1,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are pleased to know that you and you family happily enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Dallas. We will be sure to share your recommendation for Erwin with the Towne Park Valet Manager. We invite you to stay with us again in the future for another awesome experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great hotel & staff! I checked in and they found the perfect room for me. I was on the club lounge where I had two fabulous servers Sarah Marie and Ronald. They were exceptional and honestly made my trip so enjoyable. They were professional, polite and accommodating. I will definitely be staying back at this property! Please ask for Sarah Marie and Ronald! Two fabulous employees :)

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor. Beautiful view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sheraton D, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hello Rodrick,

We are very pleased to know that the Sheraton Dallas is one of the best hotels you’ve ever stayed in. We have shared your review with Sara Marie and Ronald’s supervisors and they will be commended for their exceptional service. We look forward to your return to the Sheraton Dallas for another enjoyable experience.