“Nice but overpriced”

Ranked #39 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here recently for a conference. Both the front desk and the concierge were polite and helpful. Check-in was smooth and easy. This is a huge hotel and can be a little tricky to navigate at first if you're not use to large hotels. The conference and meeting areas are nice and spacious. The rooms are adequate in size and comfort, so no complaints there. The price is a bit high for what you get, but this is where my organization put me up for the conference, so no complaints. If you are looking for a place to stay in this area, you can probably find somewhere just as nice for cheaper.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have much less traffic noise as this hotel is inside the city.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton D, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Hi Daniel,

We are pleased to know you experienced and easy check-in and friendly service during your stay. If you journey back down to Dallas in the future, we invite you to stay with us again for another enjoyable stay.

Sheraton Dallas Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,828)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

From my check in at the front desk with Ms Jeanette McGary to check out my experience at this property was excellent. Most notable was the concierge lounge with breakfast and happy hour. The service in that lounge was top-notch. I also greatly enjoyed what was probably the best hotel fitness center I have ever used.

While I was generously granted an "executive suite" of two large rooms, the furniture in the room was quite old and beat up. That is a minor thing really as I was travelling for work and spent little time in the room.

Sheration is apparently trying a cost savings strategy of allowing guests to opt out of daily cleaning and bed making in exchange for more Starwood points...I tried it out and while it was fine, I might be a bit spoiled to not have my bed made when returning to the room after work. I will probably try it again though for the points.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Hello James,

Thank you for sharing your review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and we will be sure to recognize Jeanette, and the club lounge team members, for their excellent service. We invite you to return for another special stay the next time you journey down to Dallas.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The Sheraton Dallas is a good property better than many of the run of the mill Sheratons I have stayed all over the US. However you cannot really walk from the hotel to the Dallas convention center. The walk is only around a mile, but I felt unsafe walking in the almost desolate downtown streets. The Omni is a better (albeit a more expensive one) choice for conventioneers. The hotel is good and the gym is well equipped otherwise.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank JayMan_Chicago

Hello JayMan,

If you feel uncomfortable walking from the hotel to the convention center, you can take the DART rail or you can call a taxi. The DART rail is $2.50 one way or $5 for a day pass. A taxi would also be reasonably priced for a mile drive. We invite you to stay with us again the next time you journey to Dallas, and if you would like help arranging transportation, please connect with me at ted.lepak@sheraton.com.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I lived in the Sheraton for 3 weeks, along with almost 50 or 60 of my travelling colleagues. Having worked in hotels for many years (including Sheraton), I can safely lay all the blame for any problems squarely at the feet of management. The staff is simply not trained properly, PERIOD. This is not necessarily the fault of the staff themselves, though a little initiative on their part wouldn't hurt, but it is up to management to empower them and encourage them to create a satisfying guest experience.

I ate in both hotel-owned food outlets. The sports bar food was acceptable for pub food, but the service was remarkably unorganised and very slow. The lobby restaurant service was even worse. I was one of two tables eating a late lunch and it still took 10 minutes to get a glass of wine while the staff chatted about what they did last night. The late night service in the lobby bar was slow, disorganised and down-right surly.

The valets at the main entrance were friendly, but didn't know that our group was even staying at the hotel, let alone that we had upward of 50 or 60 rooms. Again, the fault of management. Fifty people X 21 room nights = a significant investment into your property that you need to recognise.

The front desk staff did their best to be pleasant but were only capable of accomplishing the most common tasks. Any request that deviated from check-in or check-out seemed to fuse their circuits. And, to top it off, when a fire alarm went off, twice, after 2:00 a.m. (!!) both the front desk staff AND the security seemed uninterested in actually directing the guests or helping in any way.One of my colleagues tried to have a calm, adult discussion with a front desk supervisor, hoping to have his room comped or discounted for the night since he wasn't about to get any sleep, and the supervisor actually became hostile and belligerent. Another colleague went to the front desk to find out what to do and all the front desk clerk wanted to talk about was how cute my colleague's dog was. She had actually bang her hand on the desk and say, "Excuse me! The fire alarm is going off and no one has a clue what to do!".

If there is an 'up-side', my room was comfortable, clean and well-maintained, and the hotel is right at a DART stop and near most things downtown. And, the woman who runs the gift shop (NOT affiliated with the hotel) is incredibly helpful and customer oriented. But, I have to say, if you want some actual service and a staff that actually cares that you exist, do yourself and favour and stay at The Marriott across the street where we ended up spending most of our time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Patrick B

Hello ScarSingapore,

Your review has been shared with the Sheraton Dallas’ management team, and we are aware of the issues you addressed in your review. We sincerely apologize for the fire alarm incident that you, and your colleagues, experienced during the weekend of the Texas-OU football game and for all these other issues that made your stay only just acceptable. Here at the Sheraton Dallas we value and appreciate every one of our guests, and we genuinely care about their stays with us. The management team will address all the issues you’ve emphasized in this review, and improve our guests’ experiences, so that every guest feels welcome and at home when they stay at the Sheraton Dallas. Please do not hesitate to connect with me if you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

First time here at this hotel. Kind of pricey and rooms and hall ways were a little dated. Lobby area was nice as well as their sports bar and restaurant. Paid $236 with valet parking for one night. Associate paid $266 with no valet parking...we asked the next morning and could not get an answer. I got a suite on the front and he had a cracker box overlooking the back parking area.

Breakfast buffet was $24.99 per person. PRICEY but again you are paying for location.

Room Tip: Stay away from the buffet for that price. Ask for a room on the back side. There are train tracks...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank soddycreek

Hello soddycreek,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. There are many factors that determine the rates and rooms we give out to our guests. Room availability, SPG memberships, group rates, business upgrades, and the date and time when you booked your stay are just a few of these factors. Without more information on your stay, it’s difficult to say why the rates varied between you and your associate. If you would like to connect with at 03207.socialmedia@sheraton.com and send us detailed information on both booking experiences, we will dissect the information more and breakdown the rates for you. We are glad you enjoyed your experiences with the restaurants and we invite you to stay with us the next time you journey to Dallas.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I recently stayed here for a conference. Overall the hotel was nice but I think you could stay somewhere much cheaper for the same quality.
Pros:
1) The hotel is huge and in the heart of downtown. There is a tram station a block away from the hotel, which was very convenient.
2) The rooms were clean and a decent size, but it was the same quality as Travel lodges I have stayed in for $50 per night.
3) The pool is nice, it is on the roof of the 4th floor, the gym is HUGE
4) The conference center was large and impressive (there is free wifi down there!)
Cons
1) The view from my hotel room was of a cement wall.
2) This hotel is extremely difficult to navigate, if you get on the wrong elevator (which are not clearly marked), you may have to transfer elevators up to 3 times.
3) Half of the channels on the TV were not available and there is a charge for wifi.
4) We ate at the bar but was unimpressed by the attitude of the waitstaff, who was curt and rude. The concierge was also extremely unhelpful every time we asked a question, overall I think all of the staff (from gift shop to bar) should be taught what is in the area, many of them just said they didn't know where something was or to go line up at the concierge.
5) They have a strange policy where if you put an eco friendly sign on your door and say you do not need your room cleaned you will be given a $5 gift card each night. I did this all 3 nights and was never given the gift card, I was then told you had to put the do not disturb sign on as well the night before, which wasn't explained in the policy

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Sheraton D, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Hello Jennifer,

We apologize for the lack of information you received during your stay. The digital signage around the hotel should help you navigate your way through our large hotel, and rooms that end in 0-23 are located in south tower, 31-55 are center tower, and 61-87 are north tower. We would like to get more information from you so we can improve future guests’ experiences with us. If you have the opportunity please email 03207.socialmedia@sheraton.com with your contact information, your room number during your stay, and a note on anyone who you felt was rude or curt to you at the bar. We invite you to stay with us again the next time you journey to Dallas, and feel free to connect with me directly if you have any questions.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We arrived late due to traffic. There was only one person checking in guests on a Friday night. They offered to bring our luggage up. After waiting an almost an hour I finally I had to go down and get it myself. We were anxious to change and go out so we really needed our clothes. Parking is $20 for garage and $30 for valet which may be typical for downtown. Cell phone and internet and service is very low there. Almost forces you to buy their WIFI. At check out they charged me $14 for a 2 second phone call and the front desk refused to credit. No one from their accounting dept would call me back about this until I called their corporate office. The hotel does have a nice coffee shop, restaurant, and business lounge. They are also next to the rail station.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Jennifer,

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your luggage. If the second phone call charge has not been settled yet, please email me directly at ted.lepak@sheraton.com and I will follow up to make sure the problem is resolved. We invite you to stay with us again on your next journey to Dallas, and feel free to connect with me if you need anything.