“Worth every penny!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Joule, Dallas
Ranked #6 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
“Worth every penny!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

We've stayed at many 5-star hotels, and the Joule is in the top 2 for sure. (We are VERY picky.) We were only scheduled to stay one night, but it was so incredible, we stayed another night. The room had a sexy contemporary decor. Very Romantic....GO!!! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheJoule, Marketing Manager at The Joule, Dallas, responded to this review, April 9, 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback and great review. I'm pleased to hear that you had an exceptional stay.

We hope to welcome you back to The Joule again soon.

Kristin Walker
Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

I'm quite shocked at the inadequate service the Joule / Charlie Palmer restaraunt has. I went there for lunch to enjoy their advertised 'lobster corndogs'. I asked the maitre'd if it could be served at the pool and they said 'yes', but it would have to be ordered from the pool. My friend and I went to the 10th floor pool deck and ordered the corndogs along with 2 expensive drinks. After 30 minutes, we ordered 2 more expensive drinks. Finally, after 1 hr of waiting, we cancelled the order for the 'lobster corndogs' and left. We were told some lame excuse that they didn't know what was going on - 'normally they are so quick about delivering the food'. For a 4-star hotel, it has 1-star service. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank eljaniovich
TheJoule, General Manager at The Joule, Dallas, responded to this review, April 9, 2010
I am disappointed that you did not have an overall stellar experience at The Joule. It seems that we have fallen short on communicating your requests to the various departments.

Thank you for your other comments which we will use to improve.

Best,
Michael Falkenstein
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

Well it started off BAD within 10 mins we had went to the pool where we find about 5 young ladies workin and just stood there looking like we where not even there, so I was like excuse me can I get a drink. After my first drink we had to flag down a girl to ask for another as the pool area was not busy maybe 6 other people so ni reason for service to be that bad. Then I went up to bar to close tab again just standing there it took ten mins, then the manager of the pool and club pm was there and was very friendly offered us free drinks and help but I rejected I no longer wanted to be around that. This hotel does not have ice machines you have to call for ice well we called so we could have our own drink in room well lets say it NEVER CAME!!!! That evening we went down to the club PM which is in hotel very unfriendly and it took us for ever to get in and if your staying at hotel it is suppose to not be a problem to get in YEAH RIGHT!!!! ok Saturday we ate at Charlie Palmers resturant in hotel food was good but service was so bad I could get better service at MC Donalds than this supper bad. Then Saturday evening after having night of fun on town came back to order room service it took 45 mins. to get ONE sandwhich I had to call and ck on it and there are slow and the service is so bad and the managers know which makes it WORSE... Please do not waste ur money go to ZAZAS, The W, or the Ritz

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank maymay81
Fulshear, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I get very few chances to spend time alone away from our children. We scheduled a weekend in Dallas beginning June 26, 2009. First, our keys kept stop working. They had to be replaced twice. On Saturday, we arrived at our room at 4 pm to find that it had not been cleaned. We had no towels to get dressed for our evening event. I called and the cleaning woman arrived at 4:30. My husband and I left to get out of the way. Arriving back at the room at 5 PM we were shocked to find our sheets half way pulled off the bed, cleaning supplies laying in the room and of course, no towels. I called the front desk and again the woman came back saying that their laundry is very slow on weekends. I asked her to just fix the bed and leave towels so we can get dressed. She said she had no towels but left the room for about 2 minutes and returned with towels. I stepped in the shower to find that she had taken all of the soaps and shampoo and did not replace the items. When paying for a luxury hotel, you expect luxury service. This is not what happened on our trip. My husband and I deserved much better treatment than we received at the Joule in Dallas, Texas.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rhondakuy
Portland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2009

Very trendy design at this one year old boutique near Neiman Marcus in downtown. There is not a club lounge as there is at some Lux Collection properties. The rooms are well appointed as would be expected at a hotel that wants to charge $250/night. We had a package that included a bottle of champagne (Charlie Palmer sparkling) and also included breakfast for two with complimentary parking.
There is a very nice work out room on the 9th floor, and pool on the 10th floor. The pool area is quite small and has a hopping bar. Minors are prohibited from the pool area after 6 pm because it's a scene, especially on the weekends. If you are into clubbing, this is a good place to have a drink. They also have a night club downstairs called PM that is also very popular. The elevators are not locked off or monitored in the evenings, so anyone can jump on and ride up to a floor of their choosing whether they are staying in the property or not. The rooms on the 10th floor can be inconvenienced by the noise of people in the hallways going to the pool bar on 10. I would not recommend anyone stay on this floor. The lobby is very nice and we had a couple glasses of wine while getting hit on by two older women who had flown in from Anchorage to attend an Eric Clapton concert. Not exactly what you would normally find in the lobby of a Luxury Collection hotel, but kind of fun none the less. The hotel restaurant is Charlie Palmer and while we didn't care to eat a steak, it has received excellent reviews in the Dallas press and I'm sure is top notch.
We thought the staffing was a little untrained. They tried hard, but it's definitely not a 5 star experience. I had a problem at the desk when reviewing my bill and while the gal helping me got everything taken care of, some buttinskee from the restaurant was interjecting his comments about why I had a tax and gratuity added to my bill for a "complimentary" breakfast. He was a little over the top, but I'm sure he'll not be there long with his demeanor.
Furthermore, the room service breakfast was not acceptable we didn't say anything but it really wasn't that good. So so at best. Had we paid for it and it wasn't included in the inflated package price we paid, I would have quickly called and asked that the food be re-cooked and brought up. The presentation was plain, very plain and it took way to long to set it up once they got it to the room.
All in all, it's a modern trendy boutique hotel, well appointed as you would expect at a Luxury Collection property, but it is definitely geared to a younger party crowd that would enjoy the hip modern vibe of the rooms and wouldn't care about so-so service, especially when they are getting loaded at the poolside bar.
We normally stay at another property in downtown Dallas with impeccable service and always on the Gold floor where there are complimentary food presentations throughout the day, private check-in and an honor bar. We pay $139 at that hotel which is far less than the Joule and with incredible rooms that were just redone last year even though it's of a more traditional design, so we won't stay again at the Joule, but it was an interesting experience and our only real observation was the service level and quality just wasn't quite up to snuff with the staff.
If you get an absolutely ROCK bottom price for the Joule it might be worth a stay, but otherwise there are other alternatives close by with impeccable standards and service.
I'm a Platinum SPG member so I'm in and out of a lot of Starwood Properties and while this was entertaining for a night, I would not have wanted to stay here longer than I did.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank PDXStocks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

Cons: Service is terrible!!
Maybe I just had a bad experience but I was throughly disappointed in this hotel. It seemed as if they had the "summer staff" on duty. The valet just stood right next to me while I struggled with my luggage. He did not offer to help in any way. Once I was at the desk, I still was not offered any help with getting all my luggage to my room. That evening, I placed my room service order on my door well before the requested time of midnight. I only ordered a pot of coffee for 7am. After waiting 45 minutes, I finally opened my door and realized they didn't even pick up the card. It was still hanging on the door handle. After calling down to the desk, they did not even give a simple apology. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I travel frequently and I have never recieved such poor service from an "upscale" hotel.

Pros: The rooms were very clean and nice. I did have breakfast at the restaurant and the food was great. The service I recieved at the restaurant was also wonderful. They were prompt, polite, and very accomodating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank Aroundtheworld8075
Oklahoma City, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

We stayed at the Joule on the weekend of May21st through May 23rd. The hotel was wonderful but more than the hotel – the service was impeccable.

I first found the Joule online and wanted to stay there just from the photos on the main Web site page. It just looked amazing. I called to make a reservation and was helped by one of the kindest men ever. He took down all my information and even made sure we had a great room with a view. He completely made me feel at ease and even went to the extent of trying to get our dinner reservations out of the way so we would not have to worry about it when we got to Dallas. I cannot remember his name – but he was fantastic.

My boyfriend called up earlier on in the week and told Katie, a concierge, it was our anniversary. We wanted to go to the Byron Nelson golf tournament and we didn’t really want to drive. She mentioned she might have a contact who could take us to the golf event. She lined up the driver and it was perfect. The driver was also one of the nicest men ever – it was lovely.

For my anniversary gift, Katie set up for us to have a massage even though you guys do not actually have a spa area. She told us just to be ready in our robes and someone would come to get us in our room. The masseuses were running late – but it did not matter. The robes at the Joule are to die for. I was already relaxed and we were in no rush. However, the heads up was given to us by a very nice woman on the phone and she also asked if we needed anything else.

It was quiet when we walked into the makeshift “spa” and smelled wonderfully and I literally had one of the best massages I have ever had. It was so relaxing. I was in heaven. What a wonderful anniversary gift!

The man who consistently brought our room service was hilarious. He was funny and helpful and even ensured I had all the items I had ordered before he left. The coffee was wonderful, but more so, we thought the burger we got from room service and the Caesar salad was better than a restaurant served items. It was just great.

The shower was refreshing and the hair dryer was the best I have ever used.

I can assure you the next time we come to Dallas, you will be our home away from home. Please find out who helped me make my reservation and thank them. Tell Katie she truly made my anniversary weekend a dream come true. Tell our room service man he was great and very gracious to bring us everything we needed and have Katie pass along our thanks to the driver from Friday.

Thank you again for having us at the Joule. You have a wonderful hotel and it is gorgeous from the inside out – but what will truly bring guests back is your service and attitude towards the customer. I felt as if I was right at home and smiles were abundant.

Three things out of the ordinary that we did not like was the area where you check in. We were a bit confused when walking in but found our way back to the back. A sign or someone walking you to the desk might be nice.

The second was there were no hooks to hang our towels. I am all about saving the Earth and preventing the staff from washing my towels each time they clean our room – but there was no place for me to hang my towel.

Thirdly, I would love for one hotel to step up and offer free Internet in the rooms. We are at a time where I do not think staying in an upper class hotel such as the Joule should also require me to pay $15-$25 to use the Internet for 24 hours in my room. Either include this within the rate for the room or go above and beyond and offer it for free. You could steal a ton of business from not only hotels such as Doubletree, the W and Westin hotels but all other upscale hotels. Each of my friends and I are waiting for one hotel to offer this amenity and then we will be exclusive to them for our stays. Yet, no one has stepped up to the plate to do so. I ask the Joule start the free Internet craze and increase your room occupancy tenfold.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple