“It's the staff that make this hotel”
Review of The Joule, Dallas

The Joule, Dallas
Ranked #11 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm just one of the common people who enjoys staying in a fancy hotel like The Joule a few nights per year. Although the area where the hotel is located is not very alive, I was looking forward to the pool. Unfortunately the pool on the roofterras was closed and the rooms where not that impressive, but the bellboy (sorry, forgot his name) and the concierge (Clint) were the best!. Just like I expected from a Starwood Hotel they took that extra step to make me feel special. It's the staff, not the venue that made the stay a real experience. A big applause for the staff of this hotel, especially Clint!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,106)

Reviewed March 30, 2013

From the minute you pull up curb side, to the bittersweet goodbye bid to the valet as you depart, the level of service and quality at The Joule is palpable. Everyone I encountered, from the valet attendant to the lobby concierge to the bar tender clearly have a sense of pride in The Joule and hold the guest experience in focus.

My wife and I both work downtown and planned a stay at The Joule for a much-needed quality date night away from the house and kids. She checked us in and we met up at the roof-top "poole" bar before the show we were going to at the Majestic (which is an easy four-block stroll). It was a cool night but the way the pool and bar are set up, you could enjoy the space even if it were snowing outside. Very unique and very pleasant. We had a drink and appetizers served to us, the fine cheeses and meats were delicious. And finally, a bartender who would make a martini MY way instead of his way! Evening off to a great start.

So, off to our show we go. My wife checked us in to our room and I had been running late so I had not seen our room until after the show. Was I ever into a tremendous surprise. The room was breathtaking in quality, through and through. I understand that it was recently renovated and WOW, what a success story this is. Very modern with lots of stone, hardwood and glass but very warm and comfortable and with the perfect use of soft area rugs, carpeting and well-chosen furniture pieces.

We came back to "the poole" and bar after the show and dinner for another drink and dozed easily in the huge comfy "bed chairs" at poolside, to the soft rumbling sounds of downtown. Really a nice time.

I have to reserve a separate paragraph for the bedding. I have stayed in many, many hotels through business travel, vacations, or what have you. The hotel building itself can be beautiful, have the best restaurants and service but if the bed and bedding is not of equal quality, the experience falls flat. When you think about it, you spend the majority of your time at the hotel IN BED. It is clear that the bed and the bedding at The Joule had been selected by someone who truly LOVES being in bed the way we do. We didn't want to leave and felt a little teary eyed and empty inside when we had to leave it (okay, a little dramatic, but we LOVED the bedding, okay??). The perfect number and size and weight of the pillows. The weight of the sheets and covers are just right. Pure white gives a feeling of clean. The bed itself was perfection as well, down the firmness and lighting. I could not have asked for a better experience.

This is a clear representative of the fact that the guest experience at The Joule is thoroughly thought through, considered and detail-focused. Which is the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel. And this, my brothers, is a great hotel.

As a side note, the Main Street address of The Joule could not be better for a downtown location. There are dozens of culinary choices within five to ten minutes walk from The Joule, and we found one perfect to our mood (see my review of The Dallas Fish Market) for dinner after the show at the Majestic. The next morning, on the recommendation of the valet attendant, we went right across the street to Sol Irlandes (also see my review) for brunch. It was really, really good.

4  Thank Cargorilla
Reviewed March 29, 2013

From checking to checkout,curb to room---outstanding service and armenities. Everyone courteous, ready to provide assistance, especially Matt Cain, who was outstanding. He saw personally that everything was properly handled. He was very knowledgable about the hotel and the downtown area. Our suite was very elegant, spacious, and comfortable. We will definitely book the joule again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I checked in late to the Joule. The valet attendant was very helpful and attentive to make sure that I got my bags into the hotel with ease. As I checked into the front desk, Myron was very helpful and informative about the hotel and the amenities. I received a complimentary upgrade to the deluxe suite. Since I brought my bags in on my own, Myron offered to escort me to the room. He should me the amenities and features in the room. That was some very personalized service. Truly appreciated that!!!

Clint was always at the front desk. There was a slight delay while Myron made sure that the suite was prepared. During this time we chatted about SXSW and my favorite artist Prince.

These two gentleman were the best. I will definitely try to make my way back to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank truscorp
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Joule on our son's wedding night March 10th, 2013. We were just blown away with all the wonderful amenities and hospitality the Joule offered. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The valet was quick to greet us and unload our car. When we got inside Matt Cain welcomed us and escorted us to our suite. He was extremely nice and very knowledgeable about the downtown area. He showed us around the room and made sure we had everything we needed. The rooms are beautifully decorated with the finest furniture and bedding. The bathrooms we also very large with the most magnificent shower and spa tub. The bed was its own experience, the best nights sleep we've had in a long time!!! Charlie Palmers served us a great breakfast the next morning, again with exceptional staff .The entire experience was beyond exceptional. We will definitely stay at the Joule again.

1  Thank Lisa V
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Joule for our 5th wedding anniversary the weekend of March 22nd. I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant so being comfortable away from home is tough. I brought a pregnancy wedge pillow with me that helps me sleep. During our stay the pillow went missing and because I use it in the bed, probably got lost in the sheets when housekeeping was cleaning.

After telling the front desk staff that the pillow was missing, two separate people from housekeeping came to help and look for the pillow. After searching with no luck, the front desk supervisor (Myron) called and told my husband that he'd like to replace the pillow. The staff then went out to multiple stores to find and replace this 'specialty' pillow.

The staff went above and beyond to make the situation right again. I think it's safe to say we all have standard expectations of most hotels, but this solution exceeded all expectations, and we will be spoiled from on. From the valet, to the front desk, to the concierge, everyone we came in contact with was great. Not the mention the the fantastic bed and shower (the shower might have been my favorite part!)

All that to say, the Joule was outstanding...

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I wanted a special night away for no other reason than to escape some stress of life. As soon as we pulled up to the valet stand, we were greeted by 2 gentlemen who seemed sincerely glad to welcome us. Once inside the amazingly appointed lobby, we were greeted by the front desk manager: Myron Robinson. Myron was the kind of gentleman that chose this profession because effortless hospitality is not just what he does, it's who he is. He personally oversaw our entire stay. The room was beautiful to say the least. We had desert at the hotel's restaurant: Charlie Palmer. Again, wow! We were greeted by Myron as well as the restaurant's manager. No detail was overlooked in our excellent and friendly service. We are not VIP's but I don't think anyone there knew that. We all have our own bar of expectations when it comes to genuinely attentive service; Myron and the wonderful staff of The Joule Dallas have now dramatically raised my bar. Well done ladies and gentlemen... well done.

• Stayed: March 2013