“Great Service, NIfty Location but Tiny Room and Stinko Lighting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Joule, Dallas

The Joule, Dallas
Ranked #5 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
OKC
“Great Service, NIfty Location but Tiny Room and Stinko Lighting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The good things first. The service is impeccable. Not just good but terrific, from the check-in staff to the valet to the concierge, they are all very well-trained, hospitable, professional and not cloying. I'm a fan of boutique hotels, and this has a great boutique-feel-- an older, smaller more intimate feel than say the W.

Now for why I didn't give this 5 stars. My room was teeny. I am not a big person-- a barely 5 feet tall small female, and I felt like I could barely turn around. The round bed is cool,l but takes up the entire room. The lighting is odd at best. They do a great job of having a selection of nifty magazines and even a book or two in the room, but woe is you if you want to read them in bed. No light by the bed other than the main light switch.

Plus the lighting in the bathroom is also less than stellar.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OKCokiedokie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed an entire week at the hotel for business and what separated it from the other top luxury chains in Dallas was the fantastic tailored service from the reception desk. Karla, the concierge, recommended amazing restaurants, activities and went the extra mile to set-up reservations and transportation. The tips were spot on and I'm glad the staff knows their clientele tastes/preferences. Would go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lawton, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

From the moment we pulled up to the valet stand until we gave the valet our ticket for our car upon departure we were treated as if we were millionaires that frequented the hotel. Gus immediately greeted us while another valet removed our luggage from the trunk. Another held the door for us. This exceptional service continued throughout our weekend stay. We had tickets to a concert venue downtown and the hotel offered up their courtesy car to take us to the show. The treatment continued, with Tim, as he drove us to the venue. Tim provided us with a card and information to have him come pick us up after the show. After returning to the hotel, we stopped into the Charlie Palmer restaurant/lounge for a cocktail and received excellent service by Tomas. The next morning, again, exceptional service by our server Courtney! (The food was outstanding!) Later that night we decided to scope out the rooftop swimming pool and poolside bar. There we met Ziggy the bartender and pool attendant. We enjoyed wonderful conversation and a few beverages. I wish I could give you the name of every employee that showed us such exceptional service but these few are the ones that provided us with a personal level of service and I was able to remember their names. When I say exceptional, I mean the staff waits in anticipation to offer their assistance. I came off the elevator several times and was headed to the door and not once did I touch a door handle. Many of them would greet me by name as I walked through the hotel after only speaking with them briefly hours before. I have never received such exceptional service anywhere and I seriously doubt that I will ever again in this lifetime, except when I return to The Joule. I use the word "exceptional" because "good" is not descriptive enough. You see, I am not a millionaire or even a wealthy man, but when I want to have a weekend getaway, I want to enjoy a taste of the good life. The Joule far exceeded my expectations! I have stayed at many of the big name chain hotels and they do not come close to this place in the service department. I wait in anticipation of the expansion!!!! I will highly recommend The Joule if you want to pampered like a millionaire!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phillip J
Mission Hills, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Joule Hotel is a very good hotel. The hotel exceeded our expectations in the area of customer service, personal style, and restaurant services. However, it is undergoing an extensive expansion project that will impact your stay. The following will help you decided if you will want to stay at the hotel during this transition period:

Customer Service - Hotel customer service is outstanding. The entire hotel team was well trained and hard working. Everyone from the doormen, valet, front desk, restaurant staff, and room service were prompt, friendly, and attentive.

Hotel Restaurant - We loved the hotel signature restaurant - Charlie Palmers. The breakfast, lunch and dinner menus were delicious yet reasonable. The dining room decor was beautiful and the customer service was top notch. The restaurant hosts an excellent Happy Hour Monday - Thursday (4-7pm) - select drinks and food are $5. We enjoyed hanging out in the bar area in the evenings. The crowd was friendly and fun. My favorite food item on the menu was the Peanut Butter Bar dessert - yum! A special thanks to server Courtney for making our meals so enjoyable. She wins the award for top hotel employee during our stay.

Hotel Style - The hotel is located in a beautiful historic downtown building. The decor is very contemporary and provides for a hip and inviting atmosphere. The outdoor pool and bar area are picture perfect, however the space is very small. The lobby is comfortable and inviting with lots of seating. The hotel guest rooms are "smaller" and are better suited for one guest (Rooms 1201/1204). Rooms have more than adequate closet and drawer space for clothes. The shower is spacious and has two wonderful shower heads.

Platinum Amenities - We were told our two rooms had been upgraded, but found this hard to believe since our rooms were very small. Free wi-Fi was provided. We opted for the free breakfast as our platinum amenity which was an excellent choice.

Miscellaneous Items - $27 valet parking is the only option for parking at the hotel (includes in/out privileges). The hotel has a black Escalade that will take you anywhere within (5) mile radius on a first come basis. Free coffee is available each morning for all guests in the restaurant/bar area. Turn down service is provided which includes chocolates and bottled water.

Under Construction - The hotel is in the middle of a large expansion project. Major demolition and construction is going on between the hours of 7am to 7pm - Monday - Saturday. If you're hanging around the hotel during the day, you may wish to choose another hotel due to loud construction noise. There is no visual impact inside the hotel.

Overall, the Joule is a first class hotel that is managed impeccably. Once the construction is completed, the hotel will be one of the finest in all of Dallas.

Room Tip: Rooms are small. Pay for an upgrade if available.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

For me if you are choosing from Starwood properties in Dallas I would pick the W over the Joule but some people like the Joule better. The Joule has cool round beds in some rooms but the rooms are small and the hallways are narrow. Also, the pool my be cool but it is not secluded at all and is very small. The gym is just ok as is the Charlie Palmer restaurant where I had great service at the bar the night before and really bad service at breakfast the next day. This hotel is situated in an up and coming area that is close to some things but not others. Look at a map to decide if it is conveniently located for your appointments. It was good to try but I will return to the W next time.

Room Tip: Get a room with a round bed
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The staff was extremely polite, courteous and accommodating. The hotel was impeccable and modern but comfortable. We stayed in the penthouse which was absolutely amazing. I highly recommend the joule and would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Was a great Hotel. Enjoyed my stay. Nice Hip environment. Was assisted by Myron at the front desk and he was first class all the way. Took care of my every need. Great experience. The location was solid and in the heart of Dallas and the rooftop pool was great. No doubt my kind of hotel and I would recommend to my friends to stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo