“We heard "Sorry, we are renovating" far too often”

Candlewood Suites Dallas-By the Galleria
Ranked #96 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Dallas, Texas
“We heard "Sorry, we are renovating" far too often”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I had my relatives stay at this hotel because they have a kitchen and they accept pets. It is also reasonably priced. However, the hotel came up short on several levels. On one day, the hot water was shut off without warning and they had to take cold showers. When I called the hotel, they told me that they were under renovation and to basically expect the unexpected. On another day, their stove stopped working (because of renovations perhaps?). There are no discounts given for inconveniences. The hotel does not understand that the guests and customers are the #1 priority, not their renovations. Getting them done quick without regard to the guests is a great way to ruin someone's stay. They seem to have forgotten that without guests, they don't have any revenue. Please do not stay here because they will not put you first.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EddieKMD
Staci C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Dallas-By the Galleria, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear EddieKMD,

We appreciate your business and value your feedback. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. During the 8 week period that we were under renovation we did experience some plumbing issues that required immediate attention. These events were unexpected and unfortunately out of our control. We are pleased to announce the completion of our $1.8 Million Dollar renovation and hope that if you need hotel accomodations in the Dallas area you will give us another opportunity to show you how much we do care about our guests.

Best Regards,
StaciC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Florida
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We are relocating to Dallas, and my husband needed somewhere to stay for about 10 days. I read all the reviews on extended-stay places (those with kitchenettes) and chose this hotel. There were no reviews for this hotel that mentioned roaches like many of the others. He checked in first, and then I joined him a few days later. The location is excellent as you are right at the Dallas North Tollway. However, he hadn't even checked in yet when he called to tell me that I wouldn't want to stay. It turned out to be OK, but you should be aware.

The Good: The staff are friendly, and he was able to get checked in without issue. The room itself was small but nice. Everything you need including kitchen, big closet, nice comfy bed, bathroom, and a little desk. Plenty of outlets for computers or charging phones plus free Wifi. The laundry facilities are free. This is a big plus for people who will be here for an extended stay.

The Bad: The lobby smells like BO. I'm not talking a little stink. I mean the kind that makes you hold your breath and run out the door for fresh air. The kind you smell on a public bus in tropical heat surrounded by people who haven't bathed in a month. I can't imagine why it smells like that but it does. It's like they let the rankest homeless people they can find sleep in the lobby. Our room (on the third floor) did not have any smell, but I don't know if the first floor rooms get the stank or not. The TV is old, and the rooms are old. Not necessarily run down, but you will feel that it's older. I think the refurb scheduled for later this month will help with that. The fitness center is, for lack of a better word, busted. One treadmill is stuck in the max incline position. The elliptical doesn't turn on. I ran on the other treadmill, but it's shaky. Made me feel like I could pitch sideways at any moment.

Overall, if you can get a good rate and stay on an upper level then it's probably worth it. Just be prepared to hold your breath when you enter or exit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback and value your business. We are happy to announce that we have completed a $1.8 Million Dollar renovation of the hotel in December 2012.
We hope that if you have hotel needs in the future you will consider us again.
Best Regards!
Dallas, TX
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Had some work going on at home, so had to stay away for one night. As member of IHC Club, thought this would be OK place for overnighter. Way wrong! It's a dump - inside and out! Rooms are very small and everything in them is dated and worn out. I was afraid to sit on the bedspread!
In hindsight, should have asked for refund and moved on down the road.

Room Tip: Keep driving. There are other hotels nearby.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BetsyandScott
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Dallas-By the Galleria, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear BetsyandScott,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. In addition, we are under going renovations to make your future stay more comfortable and pleasurable. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Dallas hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was my second visit to this hotel in a few years. This stay was not as good as a few years ago. I felt that the staff was not as friendly as years pass, and the location was great a always coming into north dallas. I have been a platium member for over 17 years and was unable to get the suite upgrade. But the candlewood brand has been good to me over years with the amount of travel that i do. I will be in Dallas for about eight months and i am still thinking on if i am going to call and get a better rate for long term stay. Candlewood again has been great for me before it came under IHG brand. Would i stay here again: Yes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank WorldTraveler2492
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I just returned from a 5 day stay at this Candlewood Suites and know that I will return to this location on my future trips to the Dallas area. The price was great, with an online special I was able to stay here for 5 nights for $280.00. Location was great, just a short walk to the Galleria and quick drive to many locations, as well as the train to downtown Dallas. The staff was always polite and helpful. I was greeted every time I walked by the desk or passed staff members on the property. The gym is a little worn, but I was still able to get in a work-out before starting my day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is my first time ever staying at a Candlewood Suites Hotel. Well I stayed here only for one night and let me tell you. I enjoyed my stay and I would stay here again if I ever had the chance. Close to shopping at the Galleria Mall and other shops.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This particular location has not yet been remodeled though we hear it will be done in August, so it is a little dated. The staff is friendly but not as knowledgable and outgoing as we have experienced elsewhere. The room was clean but had a little smell to them of too much cooking and maybe smoke. The trash in the hallway piles up and smells the entire floor before they take it out. Overall I am not impressed with anything here so far. The area is pretty decent. We are by a nice mall, Galleria, and tons of restaurants are just two exits away so that's a plus. With the Texas heat I wish they'd have shaded spots to park under.

• Stayed April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Dallas-By the Galleria, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Jennifer N,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. We are glad you found our location convenient. I am very sorry we fell short of your expectations. I have taken note of your comments regarding the hallways and the staff. We will certainly look into these. Your feedback is highly appreciated as this is our best resource for improving our property.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Connie D