“Was there to visit my newborn granddaughter”

Residence Inn Dallas Central Expressway
Ranked #94 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Gurdon, Arkansas
“Was there to visit my newborn granddaughter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Honestly, the size of the room was great. I had my fiance' and my two teen sons with me. My son's switched out the bedroom, because we were there two nights. While one was sleeping in the bedroom, the other slept on the couch. We had attempted to pull out the sleeper sofa, but decided against it because we found cookie crumbs and other items underneath the mattress. The couch itself didn't look that clean, so I bought new linen and he slept on it instead. There was the hassle of using the key card everywhere, but when it comes to safety, I'd rather be safe than sorry. There was also the issue of how our room was being paid, we secured the deposit with a credit card, but when we got there, we wanted to pay with cash. But everything was quickly cleared up with a phone call to the manager. Overall, our stay there was pleasant. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Lynn M, General Manager at Residence Inn Dallas Central Expressway, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We consistently work to address the concerns our guests have shared. Please consider joining us again soon and allowing us the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. Have a great day. Lynn Martin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I am a business customer who works from the hotel on occasion. The experience of staying here has been unacceptable. The internet service was recently 'upgraded' to be 'faster' (their words, not mine). The upgraded service DISCONNECTS you every 24 hours and requires a log-in. I've been cut off from business and conference calls, which I conduct from my computer, because I needed to log back in. And then the 24 hour cycle starts again. Thanks, guys. Additionally, the internet is not one bit faster. It went from about 1000 KB/s to 120 KB/s. And I now have the option to pay $4.95 every 24 hours for "high speed" internet, which at 'up to 3x faster' is LESS than what I had before the upgrade... for free.

Then there's the construction. imagine hosting a training call for a dozen employees and suddenly finding yourself competing with the sound of a compressor running a few feet outside your wall and a nail gun or hammer going outside the other wall. Yep, that's happened too, multiple times, because apparently giving any kind of advance notice is too much trouble.

I'm honestly not much of an aesthetics person, but I do want to mention that the building is looking pretty rough. One day construction workers were here, ripping off the old vinyl siding, and another day they were gone. And then continued to be gone. For at least six weeks. They left entire sections of the building open without any siding. The house wrap has blown off in some places and rotting wood is clearly visible, where it is soaking up more rain and snow as I write. Wha?

Green Features: If the hotel has any environmentally friendly practices I am unaware of them. The rooms wreak of air fresheners and cleaners, unlike some of the hotels that have green cleaning practices.
Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Lynn M, General Manager at Residence Inn Dallas Central Expressway, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your recent experience. Please accept my sincere apology as we unfortunately have disappointed you. Even though it is absolutely necessary; there is never a really good time to update the hotel. The construction team is working as quickly as possible to complete the new siding and windows, and the new high speed internet will help you to be more relaxed and productive. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Perhaps we will see you in the spring.
Lynn Martin General Manager
College Station, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

For the last 15 years we have stayed at this property several times. It had been 5 years since our last visit. The property is in pretty good shape considering its age. The neighborhood now leaves much to be desired. The breakfast was probably one of the worst we have had. We are Platinum members, and I found it disappointing I had to pay for a newspaper. In the evening we stopped by the desk to get directions The clerk didn't know, and I asked her to google it for me. She told there was a computer over there and I could do it my self. Would avoid this property...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brad C, General Manager at Residence Inn Dallas Central Expressway, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Please accept my apology for the challenges you experienced during your stay. This summer we are in the process of updating the exteriors of our hotel. We are moving as quickly and quietly as possible to ensure our guests comfort. Our location near the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum and North Park Center provides the opportunity to access some great entertainment venues. Please join us again soon. We will do our best to make you feel right at home.
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband & I stayed at this property in the Fall of 2012. Because of the good experience there, we decided to stay there again this July. We had a small family reunion of 2 nights. Had a 2 bedroom suite & two 1 bedroom suites. Staff was able to give us rooms very close together. All rooms were very clean. Rooms are not large, but adequate. While no one cooked, the large refrigerator was nice for us to stock drinks and snacks for the kids. Parking is free and because we had ground floor rooms at the back of the property, we were able to park very close to our rooms. Yes, it is close to a busy highway, but there was no problem with road noise. We liked the location because of the easy highway access. All of the family enjoyed the hot breakfast--biscuits, sausage, eggs, potatoes, fruit, and make-your-own waffles. We were not there on the days they offer an evening snack. Overall, this was a great experience. For the costs of the rooms, I think it was a great value. We looked at staying at a more expensive hotel, but for the price and amenities, they couldn't match what this Residence Inn did for us. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: If you get a room towards the back, you can probably park close to your room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ShazaamIam
Brad C, General Manager at Residence Inn Dallas Central Expressway, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for spending this very special time with your family at our hotel. We appreciate it when our guests trust us with their family reunions. These are opportunities to create great memories. At Residence Inn we want to ensure our guests, while on vacation, continue to enjoy the comforts of home. Please consider contacting our team when you are planning your next special occasion. We will make every effort to ensure that it is memorable.
Estes Park, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I spent three nights in a 2 bedroom suite. I planned a stay for a total of 6 famlly units gathering for a funeral in Dallas, making all the reservations and paying for all the rooms. The staff nailed the requested accommodations and even put us in rooms near one another.

The unit was clean. It was hard to open the refrigerator door. The book with hotel information was missing. The mirrored closet doors were off the track at the bottom. My son's room had a laundry basket that I wished we had. Living area was cramped for 4 people, but having 2 bathrooms was a joy. The coffee pot spilled over the first morning, with coffee spilling all over the counter rather than dripping into the pot. After I cleaned it by running dishwater soap through it, it did not malfunction again. There were average level toiletries, and more available by request at the front desk. The gym was closed two of the three mornings I was there for some malfunction.

Front desk staff was always nice and helpful. More willing to help out than expected. My son took the kids to the pool one morning and discovered it did not open until 9 AM. The staff told him to go ahead and let the kids swim. Nice.

Breakfast was okay. The yogurt parfaits were the best of the offerings for breakfast. But I am always happy if I can get coffee and a hot breakfast and not have to go out for a meal in the morning.

It was a good location for us. The freeway noise was noticeable at times, but did not keep me up at night nor did it interrupt conversation during the day. I never felt unsafe on the property, but did not choose to walk or run in the neighborhood when the gym was closed. I wonder if I could have used the gym at the courtyard across the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mountainwoman
Brad C, General Manager at Residence Inn Dallas Central Expressway, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
We are so pleased that you decided to spend this time with us at Residence Inn. Thank you for taking time to post this very important information on Trip Advisor. We are always concerned when our guests provide their feelings about their experiences. It appears as though we failed you by our lack of communication and consistency. It is extremely important that we provide the service and amenities you have come to expect when choosing Marriott. We are commited to listening to our guests and acting upon the information provided. Currently our hotel is in the begining stages of an update. We are working as quickly and quietly as possible in order to help our guests enjoy their stay. We look forward to providing a warm welcome when you find your travels bring you back to Dallas. Brad Carroll, General Manager
Greensboro, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Wow! I have only had one hotel that I have ever felt more unsafe to stay in after years of travel.

I had my wife and children and needed something close to this area and thought that the property would be a reasonable choice, but we were wrong. We used the outdoor pool, that was fine for the kids to use, but the cast of characters that sat out around the pool area made me feel it was unsafe. The room had been updated and was fine, but we had ants in both bathrooms, and the managers response was to have someone meet us after 6:30 when we were out of the room. We were told if we were not there, they would not be able to resolve the problem.

Finally, paramedics were called to the hotel and we were attempting to leave the parking lot. We soon realized that they were blocking the only entrance in and out of the parking area. That did not seem normal, and at that time we realized they had security guards riding around the parking lot in a golf cart. That seemed to confirm my suspicions of security concerns on the property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Zeal2122
Brad C, General Manager at Residence Inn Dallas Central Expressway, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for making our hotel your first choice for your family get-a-way. I appreciate the time you spent letting us know how you felt about your experiences. Please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. Our Team has your safety and security in mind when the officers maintain a constant presence in the parking lot. They are doing their best to make you feel comfortable during your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here two nights on business in April 2013. I had an average experience.

In terms of its decor and amenities, the room met my expectations. I had a two bedroom suite; one of the bedrooms had a standard door, a small shower stall in the room with the toilet, and a sink outside of the bathroom. The other bedroom had French doors into the living room and a more standard hotel bathroom (with bathtub and in-bathroom basin). The living room was a bit cramped, but had a small table, a desk, a recliner, and a couch. The kitchen had a stove and oven (a bit unusual to see an oven in an extended stay property; nice touch). The refrigerator was in working order, but it was very hard to open--the door kept sticking.

Beds and bedding were OK--the mattress was very firm and the sheets on the cheap side. Everything was clean, though. The outlets on the laps next to the bed could charge a cell phone, but for some reason would not charge larger electronics like laptops.

The room did have a couple of negative points--there was a horrible stench under the sink. Thankfully, you only smelled it when you opened up the cabinet door to throw away trash in the kitchen--but yuck. The major issue with the room was NOISE. The walls were incredibly thin and, with the hotel being next to a very busy road, in one of the bedrooms you could hear the road noise consistently at all times. Very irritating and hard to sleep. Much better sound-proofing of walls and windows would be nice.

The exterior of the property was average. This Residence Inn has exterior hallways, which I don't love, and lots of stairs. While my room had a fresh decor, the exterior could use a makeover--lots of dirt on the siding and on the concrete walkways to the rooms. Parking was a pain--the hotel shares a lot with the Courtyard next door, and on the two nights I visited the hotel, few spaces were left and I had to park very far away from where my room was located. The hotel also makes you put a parking pass on your car. So, if you are staying here, park first in the registration spaces and get the parking permit--that way, you don't have to double-back to your car after check-in.

Service at the hotel was below average. The gentleman who checked me in was not very welcoming and was also very slow. Similarly, I waited for a long time at check-out. The hotel did not slip a bill under my door, requiring a stop at the front desk to obtain an invoice.

Location was fine--close to where I needed to be for business--but not great. The frontage road in front of the hotel is one way, and there is a lot of u-turning required to get back to the hotel from various surrounding places as a result. I find this area of Dallas to be a bit of a concrete jungle.

I've certainly stayed in better Residence Inns. The primary purpose of a hotel is sleep, and unfortunately the noise at this hotel made it hard to rest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate the time and attention to detail you invested in your Trip Advisor posting. At Marriott we believe that success is in the details. I personally read and take seriously every review that is sent to Trip Advisor. Some of the items you mentioned can be changed and some cannot. Those that can be improved upon have been addressed. The rest have been noted and are under consideration. Currently we are in the beginning stages of an update. We are moving as quickly and quietly as possible in order to ensure the comfort of all of our guests.
We value guests that notice and bring to our attention those details that determine their return to our hotel next time when in Dallas. Please return soon, you are welcome here!