“Good location - But a bit drab and dreary”

SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End
Ranked #66 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a hard review to write because the staff were nice (especially the nice gentleman from Zimbabwe!), and the location is perfect for visiting the Sixth Floor Museum (JFK) and fireworks for NY Eve but it is very noisy. Street noise aside which is loud, the location due to a college football game attracted a lot of very young, drunk people who had no concern for noise levels at all hours of the day or night for their fellow hotel guests. However, the hotel can't really be held responsible for the behavior of the college football fans and we were visiting on NY Eve so there was nonstop music from the clubs down the street but we expected that on NY Eve with all the associated revelry! We also had to endure one guest throwing up in the elevator but the staff did quickly clean it up. The rooms have quite noisy a/c-heater units but I always travel with ear plugs anyway so made the best of it. The room itself was big but had NO decor, not one single picture on the walls so it's a bit depressing to be honest; however the shower was very nice with a great massaging shower head. Although we had a suite, there is no door to close the living room off from the bedroom which is something to note if you like us, want some separation for various reasons (putting kids to bed before adults etc.) Coffee in room good quality but frig did not have a control knob on it so no way to lower the temperature to chill the wine and water we brought with us. Breakfast is on the 2nd floor, nice choices, great eggs and oatmeal and fresh fruit, but no bread, only bagels and muffins. Whole Wheat bread would have been nice for some healthy toast but other than that it was very good. Parking is a bit of an issue - you can pull up to the back door of the hotel to unload, but it only fits 1-2 cars at any one time so it's easy to get boxed in. Since Valet parking is $22 a night, we parked across the street and were told it would be $5 a day (overnight) but that is only if you leave the parking garage before 7 a.m. - no one does that unless they have an early flight out of DFW! So it's really $8 a day if you leave as we did at 10 a.m. for the day. However on NY Day it was free so that kind of made up for it a bit. This hotel is close to the House of Blues and the Hard Rock so convenient, but not on the "better" side of town so just be aware and keep your eyes open.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Brooke A, Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Hello,

Thank you very much for your recent review of the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Dallas Downtown/ West End! We appreciate your feedback and will keep your suggestions in mind. We appreciate your compliments of our staff as well as your understanding of the NYE excitement in the area. I would like to let you know that the hotel renovations (including all wall art) have just been completed this week! We would love to have your family back in the future to give us another try.

SpringHill Suites Downtown Dallas Management

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Renovations were almost finished. ..beautiful...workers were very kind, quiet., quick to get out of customers way. Tight little lobby and check in area for parking, then parked down the street for $5, but in the downtown area, this was expected. Wish the pool was inside. Maybe in the 2nd phase of renovations...? But it is Texas, warm most of the time I guess! Breakfast seating area was huge, but layout of food was tight....food was great. Staff was friendly and helpful. Only bad suggestion was neo's pizza. Ick! Zennas was great suggestion though. We had kids with us so we had 2 beds plus the sofa bed. Double beds were tiny! Great for 1 adult, but not comfy for 2 adults. Showers were great. Wish the sink/ counter were actually part of the bathroom with door rather than the bedroom though. Great location....walking distance to food, entertainment, transportation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Brooke A, Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Hello and thank you very much for your feedback from your recent stay! It is always helpful hearing the opinions of our very own guests. We hope to have your family back again in the future!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I called in on December 1, 2012 made a reservation for new years nights. Called back because I need not get an email confirming reservation. I was switched around to 3 people until I was disconnected until the last room was taken. I am very unhappy with the way I was spoken to and passed around.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah N

Hello,

Thank you for your recent feedback. We are currently looking into the issues you experienced while making your reservations. I can assure you this is not a common nor an acceptable experience for our guests. We hope you will give us another try in the future.

SpringHill Suites Management

Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is not your typical Springs Hills suites. Although the hotel is going through some renovations, the rooms are very nice, clean, and with the typical Springs Hills floor plan (bed, sofa, kitchen area and desk). There was no noise during our stay, as it appeared they had completed the entire floor. The complimentary breakfast did not consist of any hot foods, only yogurt, apple, orange, etc.
The hotel did allow a late check-out (2 o’clock), which is the latest any hotel has provided. However, I believe this was due to the low occupancy rate (only saw a few people during my stay).
If you are driving to this location be prepared for a fast drop, unless you spend the $22 dollars for valet. There is no unloading area for your vehicle, only the two main streets. As for self-parking, the front desk suggested the west end parking structure, which I did use. I arrived late (11PM) and there was no place to take a ticket and the gate was open. The next morning, trying to exit the structure prior to any attendance arrival proved to be challenging, to say the least. Also, there are no free in-out privileges so be prepared to spend $5 each time.
The hotel price was average compared to others in the area. However, I suggest prior booking you consider all amenities and this most likely was not my best option; minimal breakfast selection and parking challenges.

Room Tip: I would make sure your room is on a floor that has been remodeled.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Dallas Downtown/ West End. We always appreciate our guests' feedback and opinions. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, you did stay with us during our recent hotel renovations. Our smaller "grab-and-go" breakfast was only temporary. Our renovations have been completed this week and our hot breakfast buffet is back! Now that renovations are over, there is also much more loading/unloading space for our guests in our drive through. We definitely hope to have you back again in the future!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I booked a room here at SpringHill Suites on 1907 N Lamar Street in Dallas Texas (Dallas Downtown / West End) through Hotels.com on Friday 11/23/12, checking in on 11/23 and checking out on 11/25.

Once I checked in the first thing I noticed was that I was given a Handicapped Room, Room 923. At first I didn't think too much of it so I went in and dropped off my suitcases etc. I walked out of the room and the door shut behind me, I checked the handle and pushed on the door as I always do in order to make sure the door properly locked and in this case I pushed on the door and the door simply opened right up without the key card. I figured well maybe since this is a Handicapped room there may be some sort of time delay on the locking mechanism. I wait a minute or so after closing the door again and just pushed on the locked door with light force and it opened right up! Not good! There was no lock. This room door could be opened at will without a card key allowing anyone into my room while I wasn't there. I gathered my stuff I had already set out in the bathroom and such and went downstairs to get another room.

I was then given Room 1023 which is ALSO Handicapped. Now I'm thinking that I'm being singled out and given these Handicapped rooms because I booked through Hotels.com and the hotel is reserving the "better" non Handicapped rooms for guests that book direct through their own website. That's bad business PERIOD. I mean what are the chances that I get 2 Handicapped rooms in the same day? If this is how the hotel treats their Hotels.com bookings then they better reconsider their policy since we should be treated just as well as any other customers/guests.

Anyways... Having been upset about having to change rooms to begin with I simply take this new Room 1023 after I make sure the door isn’t faulty like it was in Room 923 and I proceed to unpack my stuff AGAIN. Once unpacked and certain the locked door can't be opened by simply pushing on the door I hop in the shower to freshen up. Halfway through the course of showering I notice there is a LIGHT SWITCH IN THE SHOWER WITH ME!!! WTF! Are you kidding me? The switch had water all over it from the shower and when the shower curtain is closed the light switch is inside the shower!

How in the world does this detail get overlooked in the design and inspection of this hotel. First off this hotel is already sitting poorly with me and NOW I am being put at risk of electrocution because of this LIGHT SWITCH IN THE SHOWER? I thought, well maybe the switch isn't hot, maybe it's not even wired up so once I was finished showering and all dried off I flipped the switch on and sure enough it turned on the vent fan located on the bathroom ceiling. Wow. I have now seen it all....

I haven't even mentioned the 4 times louder than normal A/C Unit in Room 1023. I stay in lots of hotels all over the country and this one was by far the loudest I've ever experienced. Very uncomfortable.

All in all I am very dissatisfied with this hotel and its "amenities". I mean seriously... How does a hotel like this even remain open? They're putting their guests at risk of DEATH every time a person showers in that Death Trap!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
CCCYGM, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear HoustonPhotog,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am very sorry for the experience you encountered during your stay. I would like to assure you that the safety and security of our guests is our number one priority and apologize for the safety and security mishaps you experienced in both guestrooms. As you may have noticed our hotel is undergoing a complete refresh. At which time, any and all issues like you experienced will be corrected through the renovation. Until all rooms are updated, I have addressed both items with our staff to ensure that other rooms with these issues are not rented. Secondly, I would like to assure you that we strive to provide everyone with the most comfortable accommodations and do not have a practice of renting less desirable rooms to guests based on how they booked their reservation and I am very sorry that it appeared so. Feel free to contact me at 214-999-0500 so that we can further discuss your experience and ensure we rectify the issues to your satisfaction.

Kindest regards,

Jason Troncale

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Here for 3 nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. Check-in was a minor problem because there was only one desk-clerk and several people waiting in line. She kept answering small questions for the family at the front of the line while the rest of us waited. Once through the line check-in was quick. There is some construction going on, that's fine, I expect that in places that want to keep up with maintenance. However, on our floor, 7, there is a stench when exiting the elevator that is much more than paint--it sustains and is nasty. It does not permeate the room, which is suite-like with 2 rooms, a king bed, sofa, wet-bar, and desk area. The room is generally comfortable, though the television is awkwardly placed so it can be used in 2 rooms. Ice machine is close by and loud, people use it late into the evening, making sleep difficult. Very good blackout curtains so we don't wake up with dawn. Included breakfast on 2nd floor, we do not stop so no review. Parking access is down the street, a little awkward and confusing in terms of payment. A decent hotel that, while we are here, has a few issues. If you can get it cheap, do so.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Brooke A, Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Hello and thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your input and would like for you to know that your comments have been heard and we will do everything we can to correct the negative aspects of your stay with us this past week. As you mentioned, we are undergoing extensive renovations at this time; expected to wrap up in mid January 2013. We hope you will give us another try next time you're in the area and experience our finished product and improvements!

SpringHill Suites Management

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located in a good part of downtown Dallas as you are very close to the freeway, restaurants, civic center and even by House of Blues. The staff is very helpful and gives you very good tips to where to eat and do some sight seeing. We got recommended Off The Bone Ribs and was spectacular and also told us where we could find a mall as we need to burn time before going to a soccer game at Irvine.

• Stayed: June 2012
Brooke A, Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Hello and thank you very much for posting a positive review for the SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End! We value our guests feeback and opinions and are working hard to have every guest as pleased as yourself! I'm glad you had a great experience in downtown Dallas and we hope to see you during your next trip to Dallas!

SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown Management