“Downtown at your doorstep”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #15 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Portland, Oregon
“Downtown at your doorstep”
Reviewed February 28, 2007

I went to Dallas on business, and stayed at the Magnolia to explore the downtown area.

ROOMS: Comfortable, clean inside. The windows needed a good washing, however. (We stayed in the upper floors).

LOCATION: Perfect for exploring. You are close to the JFK historical sites and within walking distance to the central attractions.

PARKING: Not the greatest for public parking due to lack of space----you pretty much need to use the valets, but that was fine.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Easy check in, easy check out. The lobby seemed huge, so I imagine this hotel gets busy for weddings and business functions.

RESTAURANTS: Behind the hotel is the Iron Cactus--Mexican and Southwest food. Excellent choice.

This hotel is in the heart of downtown, but we felt pretty safe walking around at night. We observed a lot of nightlife for the younger crowd at some of the local clubs. If you want to experience metropolitan Dallas, this is a fine choice.

• Liked — Its proximity to the historical sights and convenience.
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
Louisiana
Reviewed January 20, 2007

I recently stayed here for a convention because it was recommended by our convention coordinator. For a 4-star hotel, it did not quite meet my expectations. The rooms were small and amenties such as coffee, etc were sparse. There was a coffee maker with coffee but no creamer or sugar and we had to move it to find a place to plug it in. It was on a shelf in the closet. The small refrigerator in the closet was nice though. The shower made so much noice when you turned it on I thought the pipes would burst through the walls. Not quite what I expected for this level of hotel. The shuttle service that was promised was basicly non-existent, unless you wanted to walk 2-3 blocks to the Adolphus to be picked up. The front desk was nice and helpful. Overall, this hotel was nice and clean, but for the price, I would stay somewhere else.

• Liked — beds were comfortable
  • Disliked — extra services-amenities, shuttle,etc.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank pd20
North Texas
Reviewed January 18, 2007

We recently stayed at this hotel for my step-brother's wedding. I had never heard of this hotel and I'm glad I was introduced. The hotel is an older structure but tastefully updated. The rooms were average size but the bathrooms were much larger than average. The beds were very comfortable and the entire hotel was very clean. The hotel offers a very limited breakfast (mostly just breads) but offered made-from-scratch cookies and milk at night. Parking is extremely limited in downtown Dallas and the hotel provides valet parking ($20 daily) which is worth every penny. Staff was friendly and very helpful. There is a Starbucks attached to the hotel and access is easy. We had a wonderful stay and hope to vist the Magnolia again. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank KSLawDawg
New York, New York
Reviewed November 20, 2006

I recently stayed at the Magnolia for a conference I was attending and the location was very convenient to the convention center (walking distance). The staff of this hotel were very helpful and accomodating...I had forgotten some basics like toothbrush +toothpaste and within two minutes someone was at my door with these items. The room was promptly cleaned every day and everything was very tidy and comfortable. Overall, it made my business trip a very pleasant stay and I would book it again and recommend it highly :)

• Liked — walking distance to convention center
  • Disliked — The hot tub was weak
  • Tips/Secrets — Happy hour upstairs from 5pm - 12am
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Anonimity
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2006

This was my 2nd time staying at the Magnolia in downtown Dallas and I LOVE it! I have had GREAT service both times i've been. The bell hops and the shuttle driver were great and when we called housekeeping for extra blankets and pillows they brought them right up. My stay was in July of 05 and July of 06.

I love the Iron Cactus restaurant right next door and also the Urban Market down the street. Our room had a kitchen in it so every day we cooked our breakfast there and just grabbed a yogurt from the continental breakfast at the hotel. One time we paid for an omelet breakfast which was good. The only thing I was bummed about is no pool, but they told us we can use the one at a place across the street. We went across the street and you have to walk through a restaurant to get to the pool so it wasn't ideal.

I was impressed with the area around the hotel it was very clean and good walking distance to a couple of fabulous restaurants...tex mex and italian, a grocery store and the convention center and I LOVED having the starbucks downstairs. I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The customer service, starbucks downstairs and free cookies & milk at night
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the Urban Market for food to eat in your room, ask the Bellhops on where to go to eat-Iron Cactus & Italian Restaurant nearby
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Soccer24
Houston, TX
Reviewed August 18, 2006

I was in Dallas for the Gospel Music Workshop of America convention which drew about 50K people to the Dallas area. I had a contract with the hotel through the sales office for a large quantity of rooms. The hotel was ALWAYS helpful with the changes that I made and the staff was more than willing to aid me at every turn.

When I finally arrived at the hotel after a year of contact with the staff I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel pictures I'd seen online in multiple places were WELL REPRESENTED in reality. The hotel is very stylish and the decor is sweet!

Upon check-in the staff were friendly, helpful, and prompt in getting me in my room and off my feet.

The room was VERY nicely appointed with a full kitchen, separate living room area, large bathroom with over-sized garden tub, and private bedroom. The decor, paint, furniture, ammenities and service were all TOP NOTCH!

I stayed in the hotel for a week and it was the most comfortable stay I've had in a while. The bed and its multiple layers of bedding were always sure to put me straight to sleep!

I never saw anyone else on my floor until I had been there about 3 days. The floor was VERY quiet and I never had any problems with the downtown ambient noises. I stayed on the 17th floor and I rarely heard any noises below.

The only bad thing (as minute as it is) was that the Continental Breakfast was VERY BASIC. They had 2 or 3 kinds of muffins, 2 kinds of fruit pastries, milk, 3 kinds of juice, cereal, and coffee. I somehow expected more for the price of a nightly stay. BIG TIP: There is an URBAN MARKET grocery store across the street. If you have a suite like I did...you'll save money by shopping and cooking your meals.

The nightly Cookies and Milk service was a nice touch to the long evenings I had through the week.

I was a little bothered by the $10/night INTERNET charge, especially when I kept loosing my wireless signal. They eventually worked out the kinks and I stopped getting booted offline.

$20.00/night parking was a little outrageous. If you stay here HERE IS A BIG TIP on SAVING MONEY TO PARK:
1) DURING THE DAY Park your car in the SAME GARAGE that the VALET uses 1blk away. $1.00/hr.
2) After 6pm PARK ON THE STREET at the meters (FREE) Once the Parking Garage closes at 10pm you cant get your car out by self-service, which is what makes VALET look like a better choice. DONT FALL FOR IT! PARK ON THE STREET!

I was in a very nice car and it was never bothered over the 7 nights I was there.

With this method, the most I paid daily for parking was $6.00.

I'd give this hotel a A++

All of the 40 rooms that I booked had raving reviews about this VERY nice hotel.

• Liked — The Retro Decor
  • Disliked — $20.00 Night Parking
  • Tips/Secrets — Follow my parking and eating tips...You'll do fine!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank MusicalTravel
Detroit
Reviewed August 2, 2006

I chose to stay at this hotel because I was attending a wedding that was downtown (actually right around the corner from the hotel). I saw pictures online before booking, and I have to say that I was impressed once I checked in. The decor is very stylish and fashion forward, the staff was very nice and the extras, such as the continental breakfast bar and milk and cookies at bedtime were a nice touch. The location was also good for those who like to shop, as the hotel shuttle (which takes you in a 1-2 mile radius for free) can take you to one shopping area, while a $10 dollar taxi ride takes you to bigger mall. My room was smaller than I anticipated, yet still nice. To me...the entrance was the only downfall, as it was always congested due to the mandatory valet parking, lingering taxi cabs and hotel shuttle. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again!

Stayed June 2006