“Great Stay”

Ranked #16 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Canyon
“Great Stay”
Reviewed July 14, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Magnolia July 1 thru July 4. We enjoyed the hotel. The staff was great (free upgrade to King Suite). Romm was huge, great view and very quite. Would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank Nuclear33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 15, 2006

We checked into the Magnolia on Sunday for our 6th anniversary, which my husband had planned as a surprise get-a-way. We arrived around 1:30 pm although check-in was at 3 pm and were assigned a room immediately. The room was a Signature Suite in the middle of the hotel with no view and there are no balconies at the Magnolia. The room was tastefully decorated, quiet and clean. My husband had booked the "Magical" package that was all but magical. We received our champagne and strawberries around 6 pm and went down to the front desk on our way out to dinner at 7 pm and inquired about the remaining items of our package (robes, cd, turndown service with cookies/milk). We were told that they would arrive between 8-9 pm and that it would be left in the room if we were not there. We returned a little after 9 pm to find no such items in our room. We called the front desk and requested the remaining items along with 2 additional washcloths. 30 minutes past and we called again. After this call we received a call from a porter who verified our request and said he would be up shortly. It was around 10:15 pm when he arrived and he had forgotten the washcloths, the CD that was a part of our package was unavailable because they were "out", and we never received the turn down service. The next morning I called again and we finally got the washcloths and our breakfast came on time, but was missing an entree and we had to call back to get condiments such as syrup for the pancakes we ordered. Lastly, we had a 2 pm check-out inluded with our package and yet the maid service knocked and entered the room at 9:30 am and again at 11:30 am while we were still trying to enjoy what little peace we could before leaving. Upon check-out we received 1/2 off the room after we explained our discontent and were informed that we received the wrong room which also should have had a view. Two days later an unauthorized charge for $10.83 was placed on my card. When I called to verify what the charge was for, it was explained that we were charged for 2 bottles of water that we never drank and had left in the bathroom and bedroom where we found them.

I know that my husband was disappointed because his romantics efforts were thwarted by the Magnolia's service. The staff are nice and the hotel is nice, but we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Narberth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 29, 2006

Stayed at the Magnolia with two associates for a four day conference. The rooms were nice but the service was outstanding. Jesus at the bar in the evening gave us wonderful restaurant recommendations. The bell staff drove us to restaurants and were willing to pick us up within minutes with just a phone call. We really appreciated the cool and quiet at the end of some very busy and hot days. Thanks!

Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Donna E
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Stayed in Dallas for a weekend conference and initially was booked at a different hotel. This original hotel was not satisfactory so I searched for another place to stay. I found the Magnolia Hotel and after reading some of the previous reviews on this site was a little worried - but I could not have been more impressed with the hotel, service, and location. I stayed in a suite - very roomy, clean, and with its own kitchen - felt like an apartment! Just steps away from a lovely urban marketplace. Also within walking distance of the downtown conference hotels. I just cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. Further, I travel quite a bit have would have to say this is one of the top places I have stayed!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank heather_100
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 30, 2006

Hotel is ok, but after my trip I discovered an additional unauthorized charge to my credit card.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed March 11, 2006

The Magnolia Hotel in Dallas could be a serviceable, mid-range hotel in the downtown area; an attractive option for business travelers. But--alas--the hotel undermines itself in a variety of foolish ways. The service at the front desk can be gracious or surly, depending upon the clerk. The rooms--though handsomely furnished in a faux "W" style---need routine maintenance and care. The throw-pillows on my sofa were torn, and the sheets on the bed were frayed. There's a convenient coffee maker available, but the maid service never replenished the supplies; no coffee, creamer, or sugar after the first night of my stay. Similarly, the room service menu was never replaced after I'd used it the first night. (For the hotel, that's lost revenue! I would've gladly ordered my room service breakfast all five mornings of my stay!) Regrettably--when I did place room service orders--the wait was long; over thirty minutes for a simple pot of coffee on one occasion! And the order was never correct; missing muffins, or the wrong side dish. My "same day" laundry wasn't returned until after mid-night two days after I sent it to be cleaned. The hotel seems to be trying; but--given the plethora of hotel options in "Big D"--- it comes across like a slightly hapless, confused teenager in a room-full of sophisticated adults.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
13 Thank Porpex
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed February 3, 2006

Liked:huge rooms,central location,great bed,wireless internet (in room,fee)
Disliked:waiting 1 hour to check in after 7 hour red eye,paying for internet,lack of good restaurants nearby.

Over all we really enjoyed our stay at the magnolia.The clean rooms are the largest I have ever seen and include a full kitchen,seperate living area,huge tub shower combo,modern decor.We had a very comfortable bed and the room was very quiet.Hotel is 15 min walk to JFK museum and other sites.Fort Worth 40 min drive away.Unless you have a car,it can be a bit of a ghost town after dark although there is a large bar/restaurant next door to Magnolia that looks good.Had no problem with valet service but it was not busy when we were there.Starbucks next to foyer in same building (love those pastries!)Definitely recommend Magnolia for your next stay in Dallas.

9 Thank AngelPeak