“Wonderful Hotel in Downtown Dallas!”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #15 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed February 9, 2009

We wanted some place special for our honeymoon but needed to stay close to home. We booked a suite at the Magnolia after looking at the property. The hotel is a great value for what you get. We had a large suite, free cocktail hour daily and a cookies and milk buffet at night. Oh, and I can't fail to mention the breakfast buffet! The staff made us feel more than welcome and took good care of us. This is a cool hotel in downtown. Matter of fact, I've booked a room for a romantic Valentine's Day with my husband. I look forward to another stay at the Magnolia.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 7, 2009

My wife and I stayed here on New Years Eve and we had an excellent time. The staff was friendly, the atmosphere was great and the service was awesome. Happy hour, milk and cookie bar and a hot breakfast in the morning are all pluses. The location was great too because we were on foot for the three days we were there.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigEh
Reviewed February 5, 2009

This was my second stay at the Magnolia - several years apart. I remember it being very chic but comfortable with a warm and friendly staff. Well, I was quite a bit less impressed the second time around.

Check-in was quick and informative, very friendly staff. Upon entering my room (26th floor corner) I noticed the carpet outside the bathroom was soaked. I called guest services who told me the previous guest had run the water over in the bathroom and the carpet had not dried.

When I asked for a new room, they were unable to provide it because they were booked. They brought extra bathmats to put over the wet carpet. Not exactly a great fix, but it was better than nothing.

Beyond that problem, there were two light bulbs out, a huge tear in the bed cover and the floor tile and bases were all dirty. It just doesn't seem that they are keeping this place clean. Everything feels really used and banged up.

I was put into a suite for my second nights stay and the staff was very friendly and helpful about everything. It really is a shame they aren't keeping it clean and pristine, the way a hotel should be.

Breakfast and cookies/milk are fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stayed at the Magnolia (Dallas) for one night while in town for The Cotton Bowl.

The building is historic and the location is good (downtown), however, the room lacked.

We were in a standard room (#2313) and paid $179 (before tax).

Unfortunately, our free-wireless internet did not work in our room, likely because our room is in the corner.

We called and the front desk promised to switch our room, but it never happened. I guess they were busy with all the Cotton Bowl attendees.

I read that the rooms were renovated but they didn't look and feel that way.

The bathroom was average and the pillows horrible. Also, the bed is a queen, not king.

The staff is nice and we really wanted to like this hotel. They offer free breakfast, cocktail hour before dinner, and milk and cookies at night. Nice touches, but if you are looking for a 4 or 5 star property, this is not it.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2009

This was our second opportunity to stay at the Magnolia. As Ole Miss fans, this was a ballgame trip to the Cotton Bowl. We had three rooms, and we were all delighted. I love the free hot breakfast, the cookie bar, and the beds are so comfy. We had a suite, and I loved having a full size frig and microwave. Everyone here is so nice and accommodating. This is so different than staying in a big box hotel. They truly do try to make your stay special. Whenever we have an opportunity to stay in Dallas, this will be our home. Can't wait to go back! Hotty Toddy!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I stayed at the Magnolia with my girlfriend for three nights recently and we had a fantastic time. The location is excellent, within walking distance of everything that we wanted to see and do in Dallas. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the whole hotel is very well presented. I believe that the other reviews quoting slow elevators and old style TVs are unfair - even though the elevators are quite slow and the TVs are not flatscreens, that does not take away from the fact that everything works properly, the beds and couches are comfortable, the rooms large, the staff helpful and very friendly... we were treated like old friends and I'd never been there before!

Not to mention the extra little nice touches such as complimentary drinks at the bar during happy hour, free fresh cookies and milk every evening from 8pm, complimentary breakfast in the mornings and free wireless internet.

I would definitely stay at the Magnolia again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Just returned from a 5 night stay at the Magnolia and I was thoroughly impressed. I was a little hesitant after reading some of the previous reviews, but I have to say the Magnolia exceeded all my expectations.

Check-in and Check-out were a breeze (only a few short minutes each time). The room, two double beds on the 22nd floor, was well kept with lots of character. The bed and duvet covers were quite comfortable and caused me to sleep in past breakfast several times. The layout was a little different than a typical room however it was still very practical. The only thing I would have liked to see different in my room was a newer TV. The TV's are a little older with only average picture quality and channel options.

The free hot breakfast was better than most 'free' breakfasts. It was a little different every day but consisted mainly of eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, hashbrowns, toast, bagels, yogurts, milk, juice and starbucks coffee. There was more than enough to choose from and more than enough to go around.

The second level lounge has great atmosphere and a great 'free' cocktail hour. It is well decorated and offers numerous couches/lounges, free pool table, free nintendo wii, and great company. The bar staff were quite friendly and one in particular 'Bishop' pours a great drink.

The milk and cookie time is another great perk of the Magnolia. The assortment of fresh baked cookies were complimented with white milk, chocolate milk, or coffee.

The valet service, which has been heavily criticized definitely seemed like a bit of a cluster. We rented a vehicle for our stay in Dallas but chose to self park instead of using the valet service. Valet is about $22 a day however for less than half the price (about $8/day) you can park your own car in the same parkade the valet uses. The parkade is about 1 block away but an easy safe walk from the hotel. It was quite comical to see the valet drivers sprinting back and forth from the parkade numerous times a day.

Another critique of the hotel, the elevators, never seemed to be a problem for us. Although we stayed on the 22nd floor we never had to wait more than 2 minutes for a ride. A small price to pay for staying at such a beautiful hotel.

The only pitfall of this hotel that I found was the food. There is no 'official' restaurant on site however a limited amount of food items can be purchased through room service or on the level 2 lounge. We did however become quite fond of the Iron Cactus Restaurant which is located right next to the hotel. Great food for great value.

Although Downtown Nightlife seemed a little quiet, everything is a short cab ride away and there were always plenty of cab drivers willing to give you a ride.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends