“Nice Hotel in Downtown for business”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #16 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed one night at The Magnolia during a business trip on June 24, and really enjoyed my stay. Briefly, here are my pro/cons as business traveler:

Pros

Wi-Fi. Great wi-fi. Hats off to Magnolia. No problems. High speed. VPN compatible. This is often a hotel-created issue for me, but couldn’t have been happier. Each device is issued its own specific wi-fi key.

Unique Hotel Experience. Because the hotel is built into an historic office building, the floor arrangements are very different, as are the rooms. I had a corner room facing east, and had windows on three walls. The bedroom itself had a foyer due to the building layout. I cannot speak to other rooms, but I liked Room 2007 for reasons above.

Breakfast. The hotel, like many others, offers a free breakfast. However, breakfast here is real treat. Scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage were great. French toast was decent. Coffee was good, and they serve yogurt, several juices (in pitchers), fruit, a variety of bagels and cereal. I made it to the evening cookies and milk soiree, but thought breakfast was the best food offering.

Location: I really liked the location in downtown Dallas. There was a CVS pharmacy very close, as well as some great restaurants and bars. Easy to get around.

Shuttle: The hotel offers a free shuttle service around the downtown/uptown area, which saved me a taxi ride.

Elevator. Unlike some older hotels (think NYC) that have just 2 elevators, this hotel has a bank of six
That seemed to be working all the time. The interior is art deco (original?). Classy.

Cons

Valet parking. Not that this was a huge issue, but I hate paying for valet. Service and crew were excellent.

No pool. Don’t stay here if you want to spend a hot Dallas afternoon by the swimming pool, because, they don’t have a pool. This would have been a bigger issue if I was staying for leisure and/or with family.

Overall, I really liked it and hope to stay again, soon. Recommended for business travelers or conference attendees.

Room Tip: I liked the east side of the hotel, and liked being high. This allows neat views of skyline. I had...

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here the night before with the bridesmaids, the day of and after with my husband.... The wedding suite was amazing! Very clean, spacious, great breakfast, friendly valet and front desk. I would go there again, definitely!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Tried it for the location, keep coming back for the staff and amenities. Its the only hotel I stay in while in Dallas now. I have stayed at the Adolphus and the Fairmont, but prefer time and time again the Magnolia. Cookies and Milk at night is the best, breakfast is a real meal and the staff is so accommodating. Rooms are reasonable, HUGE, well maintained and above all- CLEAN!!

Room Tip: The queen suite is worth the extra few dollars a night- you wont be disappointed!
Reviewed June 24, 2013

But the hotel itself could use a little refreshing. Check in was quick, the room had plenty of towels/toiletries (Gilcrest & Soams). But the room itself lacks lighting. I was in room 1301 and the placement of furniture is just plain odd. There was a desk with the chair to it facing the side because you couldn't fit it facing properly as the bed was in the way. There was also a large chair up against a door (adjoining room?) in a corner alcove. I found the window blinds odd, even when I closed them there could be people on lower and upper floors viewing me in the room. Carpets and walls could use some cleaning and repair for cracking. I was here on business, working at the Trade Mart during the Dallas show. Shuttle to and from worked great. It stopped on Field across from 7-11. Breakfast was very good (7-9 on weekdays; 8-10 weekends): Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, either Biscuits & Gravy or French Toast... and selection of toasts, bagels, yogurt, oatmeal, etc. I never made it to the "happy hour" but the cookies from 8-10 were nice on one night when I needed to take medicine with "food". Chocolate chip and some sort of lemony one. Overall, I would stay here again because it was convenient and everyone was nice and helpful. I just think they should invest some money in some repairs to restore some of it's glory.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The staff was super friendly and helpful when we asked for entertainment or dining suggestions. Anything I needed was brought promptly to the room. Loved the large garden tub. Best were comfy. The website mentions a late check out of 2pm which is part of what attracted us as we had late night plans. However, what it "doesn't mention" is that there is a fee for that, which is something any hotel has and many will do at no charge if they have availability. Didn't dig that. I did feel like the carpet and a few other items were worn and could use some updating but overall, great stay. I will be back :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very comfortable, and relaxing for a business trip. The cookies and milk were a great treat for the end of the day. I would recommend this hotel for business or personal. Great downtown location. Probably the most friendly staff I've ever encountered.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

You can't beat a beautiful historic hotel that offers breakfast, cookies, and a happy hour included in your rate! Staff always goes above and beyond, especially for your furry friends. It feels like home every time I stay. For business or leisure, we always recommend everyone to stay at the Magnolia!! Oh and their other hotels are just as amazing!