“Nicely updated classic hotel.”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #15 of 205 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Have stayed twice in the past 6 months. Both stays were comfortable and pleasant. Love the suites with full kitchen, separate living room and bedroom. Staff is always helpful and pleasant. It's an old hotel so the elevators can be slow, but know that ahead of time so you can relax. I park in a garage across the street down the block (City Park at Commerce & Lane) to avoid the wait for the valet and the expense. Breakfast is good. Free glass of wine is also nice if you're around at that time of day. Ask for a room on a high floor and you have a spectacular view. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rviolin
There are newer reviews for Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed 5 nights and mostly had a decent stay. My room was surprisingly huge! It had a full kitchen, a living room and a separate bedroom and bathroom. The in-room coffee is much better than most crappy hotel coffee, still not Starbucks, but good.

On the bright side -
Nice location.
Room service was good.
Customer service was excellent

On the dark side -
Elevators were sloooooooooow. Seriously, be prepared to wait.
Stayed on the 15th floor, really noisy downtown.
Steam room was broken.
Free breakfast could use more items.
Happy hour was a great idea, but generic beer only (Bud Light). Where's the craft beer?
The office building next door had headless mannequins. Freaked me out. I thought they were going to eat me.
Downtown Dallas...need I say more? Kind of shady.

Room Tip: Corner suite
1  Thank rloza
Tom T, General Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you for your review. We take your comments seriously and use them daily to reinforce the positive while focusing our team on correcting the shortcomings. We are planning a major renovation of our elevators shortly. Meanwhile, we are looking into a solution for our steam rooms. Thank you for recognizing the value of our complimentary breakfast, happy hour, and milk and cookies buffet. It is these small touches, along with our friendly staff, that have encouraged our guests to award us the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2013. We look forward to your return!

Regards,
Tom Thomas, General Manager

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Magnolia Hotel is located in an area close to most attractions and restaurants. It is a 5 minute walk down to the Book Depository Museum which is well worth a visit. The staff were very friendly and the room was spacious and comfortable. The Cookies and Milk at bed time is quaint.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jennie W
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I just wrapped up a 6-night stay at The Magnolia Hotel. There were hits and misses. The hits: 1) The front desk staff at check-in; 2) the valet staff; 3) the convenient location; 4) the evening beer & wine reception. The misses: 1) 11 am check-out too early. When I requested a later check-out, they acted like they were doing me a favor to extend it to noon (isn't that typically check-out time at most hotels?) at no charge. They informed me that anything later than noon would incur a charge; 2) One of the reasons I chose this hotel over The Joule or The Adolphus was the steam room. I enjoy steam after a workout. Guess what? It was broken the whole time! When I mentioned it to the front desk, the response was nonchalant. I'm guessing it's been down for a long time; 3) The breakfast: nice perk, but it was very crowded, and the offerings were basically the same every day. Bland scrambled eggs, bacon (good) and sausage. One morning, they ran out of fruit very early, and guests were NOT happy. The same morning, they ran out of coffee. I thought there was going to be a mutiny! Their breakfast is definitely not up-to-par with Embassy Suites; 4) Quality of finishes in sleeping room: I was taken aback by the tacky formica counters in the bathroom. Not period-correct or attractive. Room needed a major refresh.

In summary, if I have occasion to return to downtown Dallas, and I want to stay in this area, I would definitely pick The Joule or The Adolphus. Also, be aware that there is a major vagrancy problem in this area. Panhandlers everywhere. There was a street fight one night at 2:30 am that woke me up. 15-20 people involved. The small park next to the hotel attracts an unsavory crowd. I am an in-shape male, and I did not feel safe.

2  Thank RaymondD

Thank you for your review of the Magnolia Hotel Dallas. I appreciate your positive comments regarding the "Hits" and I apologize for the "Misses" you noted. Specifically, there is no excuse for the fact that our breakfast buffet was not readily replenished with fruit and coffee regardless of the fact that we were busy each day. I have reviewed this issue with our staff and we have implemented procedures to insure that this does not occur in the future. We routinely extend check-out times past 11:00am when possible unless the rooms are in high demand for the day. We have a plan to update our bathrooms in the near future but I was happy to see that cleanliness was not an issue. Finally, we have been working with the City of Dallas to upgrade the handling of vagrants in the parks and will continue to focus on this issue going forward. A renovation of the public areas surrounding the hotel is underway and I hope you will return to experience the improvements we are making.

Regards,
Tom Thomas, General Manager

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was our second stay at Magnolia after picking up friends at DFW. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The evening reception is a great special. It is a close walk to some good restaurants in that area and also the amazing and very interesting Museum at the 6th floor are in close vicinity. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank KerstinDieter59
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here for five nights while at a conference, so booked a Corner Suite. The room itself was a very generous size and great to have the space for the week. Large living room, decent bedroom, separate smallish bathroom, kitchen and an entry. Well-equipped although I could not find a safe anywhere. Stayed on the 21st floor and it was very quiet – I slept very well.

There are also plenty of free giveaways in the price, but they are a bit hit and miss. The breakfast is a simple affair – a couple of cereals, some bread, a few drinks and a basic hot buffet. It was good enough and saved me that cost every morning. The milk and cookies are fun and the free drinks are nice, but I never actually used them as they were just too early (5:30 till 6:30). I used the fitness room which was large and spacious although more about cardio machines than weights. Staff were friendly enough without going out of their way.

The location of the hotel is good. It’s an easy 5-10 minutes’ walk to the conference centre. There are 5-7 restaurants on the block of the hotel, plus a pharmacy and a shopping centre.

Had a few issues though. The rooms are a little run down – lots of chips and nicks. The bathroom felt a little old and the kitchen seems quite old. The internet was very hit and miss. The hotel uses ATT which many other buildings use and there is an overlap from other buildings into my room. I also couldn’t get my iPad or iPhone to work properly on the Wi-Fi and neither could the ATT help desk who admitted they already knew about the overlapping signals and identified a problem with the Wi-Fi in the hotel. My laptop, however, connected fine, as long as I stood by the internal door when first connecting.

The hot water in the shower took – no kidding – 2-3 minutes to get hot at every shower. I got used to getting up, immediately putting on the shower, and then fussing for a few minutes. Such a waste of water. The lifts are old and temperamental. Once, eight of us were in a lift – it went to level 2 and the decided to ignore the L button we had already pressed, reset itself and took us all back up to level 26. Another time I got in on level 21 and the lights for levels L to 4 were already pressed but the lift didn’t want to move – I decided to get out. The lifts are quite slow too – in peak hour it may take 5-10 minutes to get out of the building.

None of these things were deal breakers (the lack of internet on the iPad was close) and the room, location, service and price were all good. I would come back again.

Room Tip: Get a high room if you want slightly less road noise.
2  Thank torking
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great service at every turn. Spoiled in a king suite on the top floor. It will be hard to settle for anything less next time. The amount of space is tremendous. The comp breakfast and evening reception are hard to beat. Did I mention that the rooms are huge?

2  Thank Rich H