The TripAdvisor reviews we read were generally spot-on: this is a great property, with attentive staff and service, and (to us) some pretty darned attractive pricing. Our only sore spot was the street noise, which kept us from getting a great night's sleep.
We arrived just after 3:00 PM on a holiday-weekend Saturday for an overnight stay. Valet experience was great and they accommodated our request to keep the car close at hand as we were departing again within the hour. The front desk staff was helpful, and got us into our room (a "Queen Suite") quickly. At that time of day, it's a quiet and serene property.
Our suite was delightful, and on a high floor (21st floor). It comes with a small kitchen, a nice bathroom, and a main sitting area in addition to the bedroom. It smelled pleasant and clean, and it's a corner room so we had a number of pleasant views of downtown Dallas.
Some Things We Really Liked About Our Stay:
- The valet experience was truly wonderful that first night and they handled our special request for quick access without complaint; to make matters more challenging for them, I forgot to leave my keys, but they were very nice about it. Later in the weekend, though, they aren't kidding about giving them 10-15 minutes lead time, so plan for that.
- Free WiFi! I can't believe every place doesn't offer this, but it's worth mentioning those that do.
- The size and shape of the tub make showering a truly pleasant and spacious experience; it's enough beyond the typical experience to make mention of.
Things We Weren't So Happy About:
- The Street Noise! Even 21 floors up, the other reviewers aren't kidding about the street noise. People, cars, sirens, mystery noises - it keeps going well into the wee hours. I would wish for some double-paned glass, or some other sound insulation trick. Light sleepers, beware.
- Lighting in the bathroom was not really sufficient for my lady to be happy applying her makeup. Not enough light, the placement of the lights is poor, and the color tones were weird.
- There's no business-type desk area, so nowhere is there a place to put your computer that's at a comfortable operating height.
Things Just Worth Mentioning:
- When we arrived back from a show around 11:30 PM, the door is locked and you need a key to get in.
- Also at 11:30 PM, the crowd around the hotel is definitely a young, hip scene. We didn't feel unwelcome, there were just a surprising number of folks crowding in and around the lobby and sidewalk areas.
Summing up, this is a nice property, it definitely has personality, and the staff deserves a thumbs up all around. That said, the "personality" is distinct, and might not be to everyone's liking. This is not your generic business hotel - it's a property with a style all its own, and I think it's worth experiencing (especially with its attractive price point), but if I was traveling on business, I will probably look to a different property for my next stay. That being said, I still give this hotel a strong rating - so long as you know what you're getting!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown is a downtown Dallas, Texas hotel near American Airlines Center. This boutique hotel offers extended stay accommodations, corporate lodging, and venues for weddings & meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Magnolia Hotel Dallas
- Dallas Magnolia Hotel