“Hotel is ok but overpriced- definately not a 4-star hotel”

InterContinental Dallas
Ranked #59 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Buffalo Grove, IL
“Hotel is ok but overpriced- definately not a 4-star hotel”
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stayed here on a business trip and was suprised how expensive the rooms were- I paid $189 for a group rate for a conference at the hotel. I've stayed in much, much better hotels for similar rates such as the Hyatt Regency in Scottsdale (during off season) and the Gaylord Palms in Orlando. The hotel itself and rooms were ok but I'd expect more for this rate. The rooms were recently updated and were fine. The pool was tiny but the hottub was dirty and the jets didn't work. There wasn't much at the hotel to enjoy; no great scenery or grounds, nothing to do in the hotel. One major dissapointment was the hotel's main restaurant. It seems as if they are trying to be a 4-star dining experience but the dining room was dingy, dirty, and outdated. There were stains on the chairs, napkins, etc. and we were sat at a table that had lots of little ants walking around on it. We asked to move tables and strangely enough they didn't remove the ants but sat another couple there a little while later! This couple noticed right away and asked to be moved also. Also, for some reason there was a portable heater blowing hot air near our table even though it was in the 70s outside. The food was sub-par and it seemed like the dining room was an extension of the room service as we were given small bottles of coke (instead of coke in a glass) and miniture sizes of mustard, etc. Doesn't seem 4-star to me! We did get room service which was fine but our steak came out rare when we asked for medium. Of course overpriced as in most hotels with an automatic $3.50 surcharge and 21% gratuity added on top. I saw them charging $17 for an omelette and $15 for three pancakes- crazy! The only thing going for this hotel is probably it's location to alot of other dining, nightlife, shopping, etc. Oh yeah, one good thing was the toiletries- they were by the salon brand Rusk and very good. I'm sure you can find more elsewhere for these rates!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 3, 2009

The Intercontinental Dallas is an OK hotel. The common areas and rooms are clean. The location is good. The staff was polite. Breakfast in the restaurant was fine.

Ok those were the good things. Now... the hotel was probably nice in 1982, which is the last time anything was updated. The lobby feels like a time warp - lots of brass and empty space, with the original ceiling tiles (and probably the original furniure).

The bed had a sag in it, the pillows were 11" thick (some misguided attempt by Housekeeping to "spruce up" the lousy bed).

I got a deal on the hotel on Hotwire, and for what I paid it was fine. If I had paid their normal rate, I would have been dissatisfied. There are definitely better hotels nearby.

• Liked — It was cheap on Hotwire.
  • Disliked — The sagging bed and too-thick pillows.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
blandry123
Reviewed January 30, 2009

My girlfriends and I stayed at this hotel on our recent trip to celebrate my 40th Birthday! There are some undesirable reviews about this hotel so I called the hotel and spoke with the manager. He was very nice and assured me that their hotel was top notch. (Frankly, I wouldn't have expected him to say anything else). Still uneasy we decided to go ahead and follow through with our reservations because it was in a great location and we did get a great price. When we arrived I was delighted to see a beautiful hotel with warm friendly staff. Everytime we turned around someone was telling me "Happy Birthday". They even sent a Birthday cake to our room to help us celebrate. Every staff person we came in contact with was sooo friendly and thanked us for staying at their hotel. The few problems we did have were addressed immediately with a friendly smile. My only complaint (I told management) was that the matresses are a bit worn and needs to be updated. However, I would not let this stop me from staying at this hotel again. Our overall experience with this hotel was superb. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is the matress.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Matress
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 23, 2009

We were badly bitten by bedbugs between Jan 2 and Jan 4. We wrote to warn IC to fumigate room 1208 but received no response. We were not planning legal action, though we have all evidence from our treatment at Northwestern Hospital upon our return to Chicago, but just wanted an acknowledgement that they would do something about the issue. All that aside, I prefer the Hilton in that part of Dallas.

• Disliked — Bedbugs
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Dallas hotels

New Freedom, Pa
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Got a great deal of $109 a night, didnt know what to expect from some of the reviews on here, but everything was outstanding. The rooms were very nice, no problem with the beds, or ac. The lobby is very nice and the bar area very relaxing. We were in town for the big game (Go ravens!) and stayed here to be close to bars and restaurants.

A great place to stay, the rooms were very updated, bed was nice and soft. Would stay ther again.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank ravensfan1996
Twin Lake, Michigan
Reviewed November 9, 2008

When we arrived, the lobby seemed nice and the lady working at the front desk was great. We took the outdated elevator up to our room where we discoved hair in the beds...Yuck! They switched us to another room where everything was dirty (floors, pillowcases, bedding). They switched us to another room that was less dirty, but not clean. They did a poor job remodeling all of the guests rooms, and the beds were very uncomfortable. I have traveled all over the world, and this hotel is NOT a four star hotel. I think a 2 1/2 star rating is more appropriate. If you are looking for a nice place to stay near the Galleria in Dallas, find somewhere else!

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank Andibaby5
houston
Reviewed October 30, 2008

I booked this room for my boyfriends b-day through priceline and only paid $79!.I was surprised when the rate was excepted. I was also skeptical because I have read in the past that priceline's customers may get the crappy rooms in a hotel, but this was quite the opposite. I will start from the beginning:

1. Parking- Outside parking was not a big deal for us. We always seemed to find a spot. Even though we may have had to drive around once or twice. There is garage parking available but it costs either $10 or $15 so I did the free parking

2. Lobby- Usual 4 star lobby with all the marble and granite. Very nice but the ballrooms were showing its age a little bit.

3.Elevators-Kinda small for such a big hotel and some of them smelled like feet. Good thing it was a short ride! On the plus side, there was a lot of elevators so the wait time was very short if any wait time at all.

4. Room- Very clean and adequately equipped for business and pleasure. The one thing that ticks me off with these 4 star hotels are the TV's. The room would be so much nicer with a 32" LCD instead of the customary 27" bubble screen. We stayed on the 12th floor so at night the city was lit and it was kinda nice. There was also a minibar, but beware...the prices are downright crazy! they have regular size kit-kats for $2.50. The beds were also kinda hard...usually hotel beds should be plush....but it was okay. Room service was great! We had pizza and tortilla soup. The food was excellent but the prices were ridiculous!. It was $28! They add in their own 15% gratutity. Also if you look online, the rooms look the exact way so it was good there were no surprises.

5.Bathroom- Kinda small but had nice counter space. The shower head was kinda weak, but it still did its job.

6. Area attractions-Was near to all types of restaurants and shopping, movie theatre etc..only a five minute drive.

Overall I would give this hotel a 3.5. They would get a 4 if the beds were softer and they had better tv's. I checked online and the regular rate is $199. I think that they are stretching it a lot. The most I would pay in Dallas is $120 and even thats stretching it a bit!

• Liked — It was very close to restaurants, shopping and was very clean and modern.
  • Disliked — Low bed quality..beds were stiff, small tv's
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria
Le Meridien Dallas by the Galleria
HYATT house Dallas/Addison
Hilton Dallas Lincoln Centre
The Westin Galleria Dallas
Courtyard Dallas Addison/Quorum Drive

Been to InterContinental Dallas? Share your experiences!