“Less than great experience”

InterContinental Dallas
Ranked #58 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
“Less than great experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Was there for a buisness meeting over a weekend. I arrived at the hotel @ 10pm. The first room they gave me smelled like someone had just smoked a pack of cigarettes in. I called down to the desk and they had someone bring me keys to another room. The new room had black marks and rust stains on the sheets. The carpet had noticable stains and the dark brown wooden thing above the window had a big white mark on it...larger than a silver dollar....very obvious. I was too tired to argue again, so I stayed. There was a large bank of windows in this room that overlooked the atrium to the first floor. The next night there was a wedding dance on the first floor and I could hear the music like I was right there with them, I could not sleep and asked for yet another room. Again they were very accomodating, but I had to move AGAIN at 9pm at night. This time I received a King sized room at the far end of the hallway....but I would have to say this was the best room, by far. It was very clean and had a down comforter vs a blanket like in the other room. Just frusterating that I had 3 rooms in two nights. Yes, they were accomodating, but nothing extra was offered for the inconviences. I'm a rewards member and this is the first and last time I will be staying at any Intercontinental Hotel. They're supposed to be upper scale compared to the Holiday Inn's. I think I'll just stick with Holiday Inn's, never had an issue with them....they are cleaner, fresher and offer breakfasts. (and are cheaper)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ICDALLAS1, General Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Schmoop08,
Thank you so much for being our loyal member and for choosing our property.

I am glad to hear that you liked your last room and that we were accommodating. I most sincerely apologize that this was less than great experience due to the room moves and that we did not offer anything extra for the inconvenience.

I would like to ask you for the opportunity to apologize to you in person. To that end I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me at front.office@ihg.com.

With great regret,
Stefan Huber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was there for 7days and 6 nights, the rooms were spacious and clean. The staff was excellent.
Food in general was average or mediocre there was no variation.The gym was almost fine. It was well lighted had sufficient walking machines, but one poorly maintained recumbent bike. Meeting rooms were large. Overall it was a nice experience and we will be returning next year for the same conference. I would recommend this hotel for a conference or to relax for a few nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear hayet s,
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us, especially for such a lengthy period. I am very happy to hear that the staff was excellent and that the rooms were spacious and clean. As was the case with a previous review, I will make sure I look at the recumbent bike personally and have it fixed or replaced.

I welcome your advice and I am delighted to hear that you would recommend our hotel for a conference or to relax.

I hope to welcome you back soon!

Most Sincerely,
Dexter, Michigan
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was recently there for a trade association meeting.
The meeting rooms were nice but keep frigid. The staff was not attentive to request to moderate the temperature.

The food service for the meeting meals ranged from average or mediocre "c" to a "B" fort the final dinner .

The gym was almost fine. It was well lighted had sufficient walking machines, but one poorly maintained recumbent bike. The weight machine need some maintainable

The rooms were spacious but dark. There is an absence of hallway and front room lighting.
The room seemed well maintained and the cleaning staff did an adequate job

The elevators need. There is a distinct mold odor in all of the elevators I Rode on

Dear pen1,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our property and please know that your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am glad that your room was well maintained and clean. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in regards to the meeting room temperature, food service and the elevators. Also, I will make sure we address the inattentiveness of my team members and the recumbent bike and weight machine in the fitness center.
I very much appreciate you choosing to stay with us and I do hope that you will stay with us again.

Most sincerely,
CO
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I were at the InterContinental Dallas for a 4 day conference with over 800 other participants. We had a very nice experience and the facility seemed to handle the crowd well. The staff was excellent and the food was above average. Although the rooms were clean and fairly standard, they needed updated. We were in a “standard King” and it was more than adequate. Meeting rooms were large and our conference used several rooms at a time during the 4 days. We were there during a 100 degree + week and the common areas were hot and there was 3 short power outages that occurred because of the high demand on the air conditioning system. The staff was always eager to help and correct any shortcoming which was very refreshing to experience. The pool area was very nice and has shaded spots through out the day. Landscaping was well done and maintained appropriately. The hotel shuttle service was not able to keep up with the huge crowd of our conference. My wife had to wait for 35 minutes for a return ride from the nearby Grand Spa , which was unacceptable considering it was only 4 blocks away. The Spa at the hotel had their pedicure staff on vacation the week we were there. With 800 women at the hotel they lost thousands of $ of business for their timing, a poor choice by the spa Manager. Room price was discounted only $5.00 per night off the standard internet rack-rate for our large group which surprised me. I am sure the hotel will be better prepared for us in 2014. Overall it was a nice experience and we will be returning next year for the same conference. I would recommend this hotel for a conference or to relax for a few nights.

Room Tip: try to book a upper floor with a view of downtown.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ICDALLAS1, General Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear birdatman,
I was very pleased to read such a complimentary review of your stay at our property and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I was thrilled to share your compliments about our excellent staff and good food with my team and I thank you for your feedback about the rooms, shuttle and the Spa.

I am happy that we will welcome you back once again during the next year Conference.

At your service,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental for 3 days and 2 nights. First thing to remember about this hotel is that it is a convention-event hotel. You will see a lot of people and be ready to pay way to much for anything you want to buy. Don't open the drink and snack fridg, in the room unless you have very deep pockets. With that said. after reading some reviews about small rooms, there must be different rooms to be given. We were placed on the 11th floor. The room was HUGE for a standard hotel room. Extremely clean. Large bathroom. Beautiful tiled shower. Large counter, make-up mirror, very nice toiletries, and phone. As mentioned above, there is a drink and snack fridge. One of the most comfortable beds we've slept in for a long time. Flat screen t.v. and a large work desk. Yes, large, glass work desk! As a IHG member, I got free internet. They have a Starbucks on location. Free or valet parking, Nice restaurant, if you can afford it. Gift shops, and a large lounge with lots of tables to chill out at. We used the pool area several times. This area is very nice. Big hot tub. Plenty of tables, loungers, and towels to be had. Fitness center. Spa. One con we had was, some friends and us went to the lounge and got 4 margarita's. They were prolly the worst we have ever tasted! Don't know what was up with that. But at 45 dollars for 4 small margarita's, they should dance, sing, and taste good! Good job here IHG. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor you can get for a awesome view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mur018,
I was happy to hear your compliments about our Hotel and I appreciate you choosing to stay with us.

Thank you so much for sharing your comments about our property and for brining to my attention your experience in our Bar. I am very sorry to hear that the margaritas did not taste good. We are going to conduct an “undercover” tasting to see if our product is consistent with our own expectations.

I appreciate you choosing to stay with us again in the future.

With warm regards,
Oakland, California
Reviewed August 7, 2013

stayed here for a conference. the lobby and public spaces are very nice - big and open with lots of natural stone. the rooms leave a little to be desired. they feel more cramped than they are and the furnishings and colors are tired.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear SpydreV,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to read you liked our lobby and found our staff helpful. It is regrettable we fell short of your expectations with regards to your room accommodations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We recently stayed @ the Intercontinental, dropping a pretty penny 20 minutes from our home, for a busy weekend. We knew the hotel would be packed but I asked for an upgrade @ check-in anyway. The young man looked me up & down & shortly remarked there was no way. So we accepted our quaint, small room for the 3 of us. Later that evening my husband came to join us & again asked for an upgrade. The girl at the front desk was very kind & accommodating & told him absolutely! And with that we had a 2-story suite on the 15th floor?!?! Nice room, clean, & much more suitable for the 3 of us. Clean??? Did I say clean??? Perhaps I will wait a few days before I post the photos of "guests" that plagued our room... Upon check-out they knocked a whopping $18 off our hefty tab hoping we would keep mum about said "guests" crawling around. Really?!?! Ugh! And then there was the valet: 3 nights in a row I went out to my car to retrieve something, 3 nights in a row our keys sat in a pile, unattended, on the valet stand. Three nights in a row I waited for valet to return to stand before retrieving my keys from top of pile. He rudely informed me that he was in the middle of paperwork & needed my ticket. Why did he need my ticket to hand me keys that were available for anyone's taking??? I'm not kidding: this guy was so snarky & rude, he nearly killed the mood for the entire weekend. I e-mailed corporate the day we checked out & 10 days later have received am "auto reply" to please allow 21 days for response. Are u kidding me?!?! Anyways, bad situations aside: our stay was otherwise okay. We normally love this hotel. And even though it's 20 minutes from home, it's usually worth the price: room service is good, restaurant is good, convenient location, nice suites, nice people. Unfortunately this stay left a bad taste in our mouths & for the price we paid: I dunno if we will ever go back??? Sadly disappointing to have an otherwise pleasant mini-vacay ruined by minuscule circumstances but at this point we feel it was a waste of time & money after the way we were treated.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank BeyondDallas
Dear BeyondDallas,
Thank you so much for being our loyal guest and returning to our property.

I am glad to hear that you like our restaurant, room service, our suites, people and our hotel location. I most sincerely apologize that this stay was disappointing due to many unfortunate circumstances, including the cleanliness of your guestroom and the lack of friendliness you experienced from some of my team members. This concerns me greatly.
To that end, I would like to ask you for the opportunity to apologize to you in person. I would really appreciate it if you would contact me at front.office@ihg.com.

With great regret,
Stefan Huber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria
Le Meridien Dallas by the Galleria
The Westin Galleria Dallas
Courtyard Dallas Addison/Quorum Drive
HYATT house Dallas/Addison
Hilton Dallas Lincoln Centre

Been to InterContinental Dallas? Share your experiences!